Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Coast Challenge 2017

Options
  • 27-06-2017 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Really looking forward to this year's event. Last year there was talk that scores would be returned to clubs for hcp review. Don't think this ever happened. Hopefully the good weather has not come too early.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Looking forward to playing this event next week. Teeing off at Carne @ 09:40 on Monday. Hopefully the weather will be better than last year. Three days of golf, beer and talking ****e in the pub. Pure bliss ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Not that I put much faith in weather forecasts this far ahead of the dates... but it looks like mild conditions for the three days (according to YR).

I've heard the greens at Carne are in good shape - and they always are at Co Sligo and Enniscrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Not that I put much faith in weather forecasts this far ahead of the dates... but it looks like mild conditions for the three days (according to YR).

I've heard the greens at Carne are in good shape - and they always are at Co Sligo and Enniscrone.

We deserve a break. Last 2 years day 1 in Carne was end of days stuff, :eek:

Best of luck to all playing this year anyway and enjoy

Anyone playing Carne today might drop me a pm. Think I may have left something there and would appreciate it if anyone could pick it up for me. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Anyone playing Carne today might drop me a pm. Think I may have left something there and would appreciate it if anyone could pick it up for me. Thanks

Yep... can do. What is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Waiting hard on an update on how things are going??

Alx, your favourite course today, how did it go?

Senna wrote: »
    Waiting hard on an update on how things are going??

Alx, your favourite course today, how did it go?

Better today. 34 pts. Could have been better but cold putter and a few dodgy shots thrown in.

Excellent conditions again today. Carne was perfect yesterday too but greens killed me. Lightning fast which I didn't expect on a links. In fact I wonder how ball stays on at all when wind is really up.

Rosses tomorrow. Enjoying it as always. Bring it on.

Day 2 of the ACC finished and much better scoring at Enniscrone after the frustration at Carne. Firstly let me say that the weather for both days has been very kind for our time slot of 9:40 so no excuses on that front. Played poorly at Carne especially the short game where I just couldn't buy a putt. Finished with 26 pts with 4 scratches. This I might add may be the result of too many scoops on Sunday night 🀒 Bed early-ish on Monday resulted in a much fresher head this morning for Enniscrone. I went out in 17pts with some excellent up and downs. Started back nine well with 2 pars but a knocked down drive on the 12th resulted in a scratch. From then on I played some of my best golf in years finishing the last six holes with 2 birdies, 2 pars and 2 bogeys. Nearly had a third birdie as putt finished hole high. End result was a back nine of 22pts to finish with a 39 which I was delighted about. Looking forward to last round tomorrow at Rosse's Point. Great company from my playing partners The Champ and Alxmorgan. The Champ scored well in Carne with 34pts and I did well today so it will be the turn of Alxmorgan to do well tomorrow. Great trip so far and currently enjoying a few well earned pints. 😇😇

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Sounds great lad, glad the weather held up, makes all the difference. Tomorrows forecast looking good for Rosses too.

Any word on the team scoring, is it still the 110+ points being returned? Tipperary guys still showing they are masters of the links??

Senna wrote: »
    Sounds great lad, glad the weather held up, makes all the difference. Tomorrows forecast looking good for Rosses too.

Any word on the team scoring, is it still the 110+ points being returned? Tipperary guys still showing they are masters of the links??

Scores look a bit more reasonable this year so far. Not sure who is leading but I guess we'll see. You won't get better scoring conditions so given that scores seem to be more realistic.

My only issue with that is the lack of excuses it gives me :(......:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Macker1 wrote: »
    Day 2 of the ACC finished and much better scoring at Enniscrone after the frustration at Carne. Firstly let me say that the weather for both days has been very kind for our time slot of 9:40 so no excuses on that front. Played poorly at Carne especially the short game where I just couldn't buy a putt. Finished with 26 pts with 4 scratches. This I might add may be the result of too many scoops on Sunday night �� Bed early-ish on Monday resulted in a much fresher head this morning for Enniscrone. I went out in 17pts with some excellent up and downs. Started back nine well with 2 pars but a knocked down drive on the 12th resulted in a scratch. From then on I played some of my best golf in years finishing the last six holes with 2 birdies, 2 pars and 2 bogeys. Nearly had a third birdie as putt finished hole high. End result was a back nine of 22pts to finish with a 39 which I was delighted about. Looking forward to last round tomorrow at Rosse's Point. Great company from my playing partners The Champ and Alxmorgan. The Champ scored well in Carne with 34pts and I did well today so it will be the turn of Alxmorgan to do well tomorrow. Great trip so far and currently enjoying a few well earned pints. ����

Early enough start Macker if you are going to hit the Raz.

Think I would like to go again - great event. But I couldn't handle the scores that were coming in from certain clubs.

That is an outstanding score home there - fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Any link to a results page....

gary29428 wrote: »
    Any link to a results page....

Wondering the same...... I did come across the score updates but no final results and list of winners.

https://tinyurl.com/y7m5tqcq

Well Day 3 of the ACC 2017 completed today at Rosses Point. Glorious weather and a fitting end to three enjoyable days of golf.

Again great company with Alxmorgan and The Champ as we went about trying to dovetail well and spur each other on to playing some good golf. The course was in great condition and the conditions were very mild for a links course. The wind did pick up near the end to coincide with the tough finishing stretch. After a good outward 9 for Alxmorgan who had 22 pts, The Champ with 17 pts and myself with 19 pts we had to scramble hard to earn points on the inward 9 with a combination of poor driving and possibly tiredness hampering our efforts.

In the end we finished up with the following...

Alxmorgan 32 pts
    The Champ 28 pts
    Macker1 33 pts

So 93 pts at Rosses Point added to the hauls of 88 pts at Carne and 93 pts at Enniscrone giving a grand total of 274 pts overall

Still waiting for confirmed results but I think that total of 274 pts finished in 6th place overall. :):):)

I had a great round of 39 in Enniscrone on Tuesday :D along with three other players on same score but we were all surpassed by a 41. Not sure about individual prizes if any on each day.

Great few days and will definitely plan to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 woywover

Go to Carne Facebook page for list of winners. Makes for interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

woywover wrote: »
    Go to Carne Facebook page for list of winners. Makes for interesting reading.

https://www.facebook.com/CarneGolfLinks/photos/a.395556562049.182945.320917962049/10154595064307050/?type=3&theater

Who's that Comanche who won on Enniscrone Day 2! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

What Happened on Carne Day 2 only 34/88 winning the Team/Indv.

Be interesting to see what CSS was for each Day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Wow! 44 Pts won Day 1 in Rosses Point. We never have scores like that win our competitions. Calm day winning scores will, in general, be around the 40 mark (and that's from people who play here day in, day out). Hope all of the scores are going on GolfNet...

I'd be interested to hear what you guys thought of Rosses Point.
    Were you made feel welcome?
    Locker room/ Pro Shop/ Food?
    What's the one thing that bugged you most?
    If you were to come back again, how much do you think a Green Fee should cost (on your own/ as a society > 10 people)?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Your man doing starter in Rosses was a complete A-hole, there was a typo with one of our teams and he had a fit. Throwing his pen on the table and saying it's not on....What a tit. Taught the greens in Rosses were the worst of the week, bit crusty but still rolled nice. Taught scoring was about right for the excellent conditions. Great week...

gary29428 wrote:
    Your man doing starter in Rosses was a complete A-hole, there was a typo with one of our teams and he had a fit. Throwing his pen on the table and saying it's not on....What a tit. Taught the greens in Rosses were the worst of the week, bit crusty but still rolled nice. Taught scoring was about right for the excellent conditions. Great week...

The starter was certainly not in great form for some reason. The only one of the three courses that didn't provide a warm welcome and friendly send off for the round. Must have got out of bed on wrong side that morning. The green were a little bumpy in places but a firm putt ran mostly true. Great track played in great weather.

• Advertisement

That's not acceptable lads! When did you play? Was it yesterday am/ pm?

I'm sorry you weren't welcomed with open arms and unfortunately it's not the first time I've heard comments like that. Some people just don't get the fact that every visitor who comes to play is a potential ambassador for the course if they enjoy themselves and are treated well. I'll pass on the feedback and thanks again for the replies.

Any comments on how much you think you should be paying to play?

Yes the starter in Rosses was not exactly in good form. They were running earlier so came looking for me to tell me our team should head to the tee now. This was 25 mins prior to our planned tee off and we were not ready to go. He seemed completely pissed off with me and wasn't hiding it.

Bit much really. I mean I'll be ready when I'm supposed to be but hardy my fault I'm not ready to go 25 mins early.

Greens were a little bumpy but running fairly true. Course in lovely condition overall though.

I would say Carne was a bit rough in places but greens were immaculate. Almost too fast really. In true Goldilocks form Enniscrone were just right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Wow! 44 Pts won Day 1 in Rosses Point. We never have scores like that win our competitions. Calm day winning scores will, in general, be around the 40 mark (and that's from people who play here day in, day out). Hope all of the scores are going on GolfNet...

I would be as cynical as they come but the scoring seems fairly reasonable this year, which is great to see.

44 is high but there are probably twice the amount of players playing compared to a club comp, probably more... chances of a cracker are increased obviously. Knowing a course can also be a curse sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

gary29428 wrote: »

He has always been a knob any time I've been there, big ego on a power trip. Not a good combination

He has always been a knob any time I've been there, big ego on a power trip. Not a good combination

Again, I can only apologise: it's most definitely not the way to treat paying guests. I've passed on the comments: they're not nice to hear but if we don't hear about them, we can't do anything to fix the situation.

If any of you guys are not so pissed off that you won't return, drop me a PM next time you're in town and I'll bring you out for a round on the cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm not returning . :P

No had dealings similar to that a few years ago.

In fairness you need a guy with a bit of push as dealing with all over the shop hung over lads too.

But from the off you were in trouble with him . If same lad .

I'm not returning . :P

No had dealings similar to that a few years ago.

In fairness you need a guy with a bit of push as dealing with all over the shop hung over lads too.

But from the off you were in trouble with him . If same lad .

I'm sorry to hear that Fix. It's hard enough when you hear of people being unhappy with the course or cost, but being unhappy with the welcome/ treatment is unforgiveable on our part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Fair play CS cant do fairer than that.
    Unfortunately the starter can leave an undesired effect on a golfer which totally overides everything good about a golf course.
    They're a story in their own right. Best starter ive met? Trump Doonbeg or Tralee. Nothing like " jaysus ive never seen a golf ball over there" in a kerry accent after playing partner teeing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Have to agree with the comments on the starter in Rosses, pure ignorant. This is my 5th year there and the experience has always been the same, echoed by a lot of players I've spoken to. The greens were very poor, a pity as it's one of my favourite courses.

I always get the feeling of not being welcome in Rosses, I never get that anywhere else. It was also noted they had no official representation at the prize giving in Enniscrone last night, very poor form.

• Advertisement

Geez lads! I'm just gutted to think Rosses Point is viewed as such although I can't say I'm entirely surprised. There is a "holier than thou" attitude among a few of the members. We're not all like that though! I've sent on the comments to the Captain: he's a really progressive guy (not one of the old guard) and I'm sure this will get sorted out.

Please give us another chance :)

Advertisement