Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite church in the city?

Options
  • 27-06-2017 6:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭

Recently was in the Claddagh church and found it very difficult to kneel as there seemed little space. Very uncomfortable. The acoustics in the cathedral are poor I find and if a priest mumbles I simply can't hear. But despite that I like the space it offers. Ditto St Patrick's. Passing by the Augustinians I see pews facing each other. Never been to a mass there but I don't fancy facing my brethern in such a manner. In some churches (Knocknacarra) the priests shake hands at the door at the end which is interesting but not a traditional Catholic thing I don't think? It's a interesting gesture I think however and makes the priest more in touch. Am not sure what other church does this? I did notice at a mass in the Claddagh the priest was walking through the church before the mass and chatting with the (very) few who were present.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

Have you tried the Mosque in Ballybrit, modern design with excellent acoustics, and a lovely plush carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

yaledo wrote: »
    Have you tried the Mosque in Ballybrit, modern design with excellent acoustics, and a lovely plush carpet.

Ballybrit in the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Mearings wrote: »
    Ballybrit in the city?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

J o e wrote: »
    Yes
    Spot on.

I mind the time it stopped at the New Cemetery.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

I like St Nicolas' a lot, lovely building and the Christmas Fair there had a lovely vibe.  When the light hits the windows of the Augustinian from the right angle it can be amazing.  Dislike the one in Doughiska as I had the odd pint there in the past and going from pub to a church is a terrible retrograde step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Don't really have a favourite, not really the mass going type these days. But as a kid I was partial to the cathedral - there was plenty of stuff to look at while I was utterly bored out of my mind.

The cathedral is very cool from an architectural point of view. I go to mass in ballinfoyle sometimes and like it there, cosy feel about it. I don't mind st Patrick's either it's a little different the way it's laid out and it has a nice feel about the place. Plenty of other nice churches around the city too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

yaledo wrote:

Can Christians (non-Muslims is such a patronising phrase) go into a Mosque ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The cathedral is objectively really beautiful. It's amazing to think it was only built in the 1960's and that most families in the town then contributed toward the building costs.

I think any of the older churches are nice, the Abbey church in town, the Augustinian was nice before it came so modern, St Josephs is nice too. I haven't been in any of them in a long time but when I've had cause to be there I've always preferred them to the newer churches. Maybe it feels like more of a sense of occasion or solemnity in places where you know people have seen the same moments your seeing many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

St Joseph's Presentation Road.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

bobbyss wrote: »

You do know it's not binary? Like either Muslim or Christian, there are other faiths and none.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There used to be an Islam forum perfect for these questions. It's closed now for some reason.
    You can enter any mosque in Ireland, usually by appointment.
    http://galway-mosque.ie/galway-mosque.php
    If you would like to visit the Mosque, kindly call the office number to book an appointment.

On topic, nicest church in the city is Agustine imo. And Saint Ignatius on Sea road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

St Nicholas' for me ( i was married in there so i'm bias i suppose)

Churchs with excessive amounts of Statues and marble and massive crucifix give me the wilies mind

McTigs wrote:
    St Nicholas' for me ( i was married in there so i'm bias i suppose)

Yep it's a nice place for sure. I don't like modern churches with low ceilings. It makes me feel I want to run out of there. I was in the church in Westside a long time ago and if memory serves me correct it was compact with a low ceiling. Could be wrong however. St Joseph's and the Jes are both nice but once the seating and kneeling is uncomfortable (like the Claddagh ) then I won't be back in a hurry. The Cathedral is my favourite I would say. Spacious. Airy. Soft kneelers. And you're not crammed like a sardine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Arghus wrote: »
    Don't really have a favourite, not really the mass going type these days. But as a kid I was partial to the cathedral - there was plenty of stuff to look at while I was utterly bored out of my mind.

Those four mosaic angels up in the dome. :pac:

I used to love the novena back in the day, but it was really the tunes I liked.

I think the cathedral is butt-ugly personally. A huge light-blocking lump of grey.

Recently I've only been in mass for funerals and months' minds and the likes. I like the Auggie, if only because you can pass the time surreptitiously winking at people opposite you in such a way that they're never sure if it really happened.

Das Kitty wrote:
    I think the cathedral is butt-ugly personally. A huge light-blocking lump of grey.

Das Kitty wrote:
    Recently I've only been in mass for funerals and months' minds and the likes. I like the Auggie, if only because you can pass the time surreptitiously winking at people opposite you in such a way that they're never sure if it really happened.

That's the main reason I don't go there. Facing your fellow sinners!
    The Cathedral is blocky from the outside but inside: the marble. The underfloor heating; how advanced is that ? The polished pews.
    I have long wondered who painted the stars surrounding Christ up in the dome. A five year old?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

That's the main reason I don't go there. Facing your fellow sinners!

It's easier when you don't believe in sin. :p

Advertisement