Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeater recommendation? And, problems with ASUS RT ac68u

• 27-06-2017 7:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭

We've moved to a bungalow in West Kerry. The walls are cavity block with insulation between the blocks. Our Netgear n300 802.11n router's signal doesn't reliably reach one of the far bedrooms.

I've tried an ASUS rt ac68u 802.11ac, but it, frankly, is worse. Although the signal is somewhat stronger, the darn thing just can't seem to sustain connections and times out all the darn time when doing a DNS query. Have upgraded the firmware to the latest, makes no difference.

Configuring the ASUS as a repeater doesn't help - it just still goes 'out to lunch' regularly, usually during a DNS query. The netgear never has these problems.

FWIW we've got our broadband via microwave, and it's very reliable plus excellent customer service from Kerry broadband. They're not the problem as far as I can tell - though maybe there's something in the configuration that the ASUS is unhappy with. We brought both routers from the US, both were fine there.

So, should we get a repeater? And, which would be recommended? Really disappointed in the ASUS, I think we actually have a bad unit, I'm flummoxed as to why it just seems to fail, then if you prod it by hitting the website a few times that it's failing to find, it comes back. Nothing obvious in the log. Too bad, it does have a pretty good user interface to the admin software.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Buy some outdoor ethernet cable, run a line to the rear of the house and set up the router as a access point. Or put it up through the ceiling(its a bungalow right?) You bought the house, you plan to live there for the next few years, so install a permanent solution.

Wifi repeating is in general a flawed concept. Its like taping two walkie talkie together. Yeah it might work in theory but its going to be ****e to use.

Advertisement