Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Console?

Options
  • 27-06-2017 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi all!

I'm hoping for some advice please from any gamers out there...

I am thinking of buying a gaming system for my (man)boyfriend's upcoming birthday. It's been a long time since we've had a console in the house, think the last one was a PS2.

He is very envious of his mate's PS4 (and his VR glasses and his plethora of games and his massive flat screen but I can only give so much).

In people's opinion, is that the best console to get?? Is there much difference between Pro/Slim, 500g/1T? I'm getting very confused by all the options out there...

Is the PS4 still the "best" system out there? Or should I consider the Nintendo Switch?

He likes games like COD, FIFA, GTA etc. We travel a lot so it would have to be something that packs up easily and can be used abroad (2 pin sockets).

We are currently in Spain. If I was to buy a console here, is it very easy to change language preference to English?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If it's COD, FIFA, GTA etc I'd get the PS4. Recently got the PS Pro myself but it's not really worth the extra cash unless you have a 4K HDR tv.
    Expect it's easy adjust the language settings in the options menu. 500g would hold maybe 6-7 decent sized games on the hard drive but I don't think there's that much difference in price. Some pretty good deals for 500G PS4 bundles out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ki ki wrote: »
    He is very envious of his mate's PS4 (and his VR glasses and his plethora of games and his massive flat screen but I can only give so much).

In people's opinion, is that the best console to get?? Is there much difference between Pro/Slim, 500g/1T? I'm getting very confused by all the options out there...

The Pro is more powerful and that's performance in VR if he got that but a 4K tv is the main reason for getting that, the hard drive size meaning the 500GB or the 1TB is the least important aspect. Bigger is better but it's the least important difference between a standard PS4 and a pro. You can also get standard in larger sizes as well, the Pro is only 1TB and up.
    Is the PS4 still the "best" system out there? Or should I consider the Nintendo Switch?

Roll a dice, most unbiased answer you'll get for that question.

It's a broad question, and the all have some advantages, disadvantages, limitations.

He likes games like COD, FIFA, GTA etc. We travel a lot so it would have to be something that packs up easily and can be used abroad (2 pin sockets).

Switch would be the best for travel, but Nintendo really isn't option for the games mentioned. Packing a Xbox and a PS4 up for travel is about the same as each other, Xbox has an external transformer but that makes next to no difference.

Cheap travel adaptor plug would do it for the PS4, not sure about Xbox or switch. Would assume switch would be fine with the same, but safer to check

We are currently in Spain. If I was to buy a console here, is it very easy to change language preference to English?

language options on all can be easily changed on the system and in games for both at least between EU. Compatibility might be an issue on some games if he bought additional content for the game.

Depends where home is if you have an issue and need it sorted, I'd get it in that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

seeing as his mate has the PS4 I'd go with that as he can swap games with him or borrow the VR to see if he wants to buy it himself later

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah if his mate has a PS4 than that's what you should get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's also completely untrue to say the PS4 Pro is only worth it if you have a 4K TV. On a normal 1080p TV the visual quality is vastly superior.

• Advertisement

Ah I'm just technologically illiterate. It does look sharper on my old Samsung and I haven't messed around with the settings. Once I get the new tv I'll try and optimise it. Hopefully I won't burn the house down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Some games are graphically much superior on the PS4 Pro, eg in Fallout 4 the visual quality is sharper and the draw distance is also much better than the regular PS4. Other games will have better lighting effects, draw distance, sharper resolution, more objects, etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If he is envious of his mates ps4 then thats the route I would go, plus he can online game with his mate having a ps4/pspro.

A few things to remember:

PS+ is required for online gaming @ €50 a year (He will get 2 free ps4 games every month for the year with that)
    500gb HDD space is no longer enough (Battlefield is approx 65GB for base install) so 1TB would be the option to go for regardless of the console you go for.

Just looking online quickly and the PS 500 gig with Fifa is €230, 1TB PS4 seems expensive @ €350. I got the pro in Gamestop for €400. They offered a game but had nothing I wanted.
    500GB is ok. It's a pain having to delete games from time to time but not a major hassle re-installing imo.
    €350-€230 = 68.56 cans of bulmers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Just looking online quickly and the PS 500 gig with Fifa is €230, 1TB PS4 seems expensive @ €350. I got the pro in Gamestop for €400. They offered a game but had nothing I wanted.
    500GB is ok. It's a pain having to delete games from time to time but not a major hassle re-installing imo.
    €350-€230 = 68.56 cans of bulmers

The pspro is currently 350 in argos ;)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6185936/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7C19780877%7CPS4%7C37328275/c_3/4%7Ccat_37328275%7CPS4+consoles%7C37328622.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The 500gb isn't a lot, but that's provided you download a lot of games. If you're more disk-based (easier for trading in, swapping games, bad/limited internet connection), 500gb would do the job. Plus you can now use an external hard drive, so can easily plug in another TB in the future without having to actually install a new had drive in the console.

If the PS4 is what his friends play on, I'd go for it. If he's not getting the VR stuff and doesn't have a 4K telly, I'd stick with the normal PS4 or PS4 Slim rather than the Pro. Although the graphics would still be a bit better with the Pro, it's too much extra to pay for the slight bump in resolution, and money better spent on getting him an extra game or two. Plus if he'll be bringing it on his travels with him, the Slim would be smaller and lighter.

As far as buying it in Spain goes, changing the language should be very easy. It'll probably be one of the first options in setting up the console for the first time anyway. The plug would be the only real difference I think. You'd have to buy a new one when you get back, but it's a fairly standard thing anyway, shouldn't be too hard to find. I'd be hesitant to rely on adapters for that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Damn, not in stock in all 3 stores in Cork. I was gonna take the plunge :(

If you need it at that price then you can probably sort it out with one of us thats close to an argos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You don't need a PS4 PRO.

Get a standard PS4 , or PS4 Slim with a subscription to PSN Plus and you're good to go.
    Changing languages is VERY easy, it won't be a problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For the price regular PS4 bundles are going for you'd be mad to get a pro right now without a good 4k tv. I don't think the graphical upgrade in a handful of games is worth the extra money especially when support seems to be tailing off.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For the price regular PS4 bundles are going for you'd be mad to get a pro right now without a good 4k tv. I don't think the graphical upgrade in a handful of games is worth the extra money especially when support seems to be tailing off.

Do you just make **** up to seem insightful or do you have anything to back that up.

Playstation-4/PS4_Pro_Game_Upgrades_and_Differences

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Wow guys (and gals) thanks for all the answers and advice!

'kay, will defo go for a Playstation. Think it will be the Slim 1Tb. It would be smaller and lighter when packing and take up less space if more games could be saved on the hard drive. I've a feeling once it's introduced to the family, we won't be travelling without!

Our current t.v. is a 24" 720pHD set so I think a Pro would be wasted here... We usually stay in rental properties and don't have our own tele.

I have found (amazon.es) a PS4 Slim 1Tb with Tekken 7 for €335 or with Horizon Zero Dawn for €340. Or with both games for €395. Would any of these deals be a good starter pack? Are they good games? Or would I be best buying the console and adding games?

Also, is it better (or is there a difference at all) to have the games on a disc rather than digitally? The only COD packages I can find come with a code to download.

Again, thanks so much. All the help will make for a very happy birthday boy!

'kay, will defo go for a Playstation. Think it will be the Slim 1Tb. It would be smaller and lighter when packing and take up less space if more games could be saved on the hard drive. I've a feeling once it's introduced to the family, we won't be travelling without!

Our current t.v. is a 24" 720pHD set so I think a Pro would be wasted here... We usually stay in rental properties and don't have our own tele.

I have found (amazon.es) a PS4 Slim 1Tb with Tekken 7 for €335 or with Horizon Zero Dawn for €340. Or with both games for €395. Would any of these deals be a good starter pack? Are they good games? Or would I be best buying the console and adding games?

Also, is it better (or is there a difference at all) to have the games on a disc rather than digitally? The only COD packages I can find come with a code to download.

Horizon Zero Dawn would be my pick out of those 2 games. Tekken is a fighting game and might not be his cup of tea. So 340 for a 1TB with HZD is a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Do not go and buy a Tekken game for someone who is not a HUGE Tekken fan, just fyi

Also you can buy the latest COD in disk format its Call of Duty - Infinite Warfare, if you buy the more expensive version it come with a download code for an older vresion of COD included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Try looking in B&M shops for bundles. I got a PS4 slim 1TB console, GTA5 and a controller for €350. It was actually FIFA that came with game and I traded it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Varik wrote: »
    Do you just make **** up to seem insightful or do you have anything to back that up.

Just echoing Digital Foundry and the fact that support from third parties for PS Pro is dropping. It might pick up it the Pro replaces the PS4 as the standard SKU but that remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'd go regular ps4 as the pro really only seems to come good on a 4K set up and it's far cheaper.

I'd go 500gb cause again it's cheaper and he can upgrade it later if he really wants more storage.

I'd find out what game his friend is play most currently and get that.

If you really want to spoil him then I'd grab a ps+ sub.

Realistically that's more than enough for most average gamers out there myself included.

If he hasn't played much since ps2 it sounds to me he either didn't want to or didn't have the time so either way spending more than necessary at this point seems a bit ott.

Just my two cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

So had nearly decided on the Slim but then I saw this...

https://www.carrefour.es/consola-ps4-pro-1tb-call-of-duty-infinite-warfare/VC4A-2434689/p

Should I??? (Despite not needing to go Pro and possibly not needing 1Tb) My concern with this offer is that there's not much of a description and Marca(brand) is listed as Ardistel? Is this an imitation of some type???

He would love a PS4, the only reason he doesn't have one already is due to how much we move around. And I admit, ehem, that in the past, I maaaaay have moaned suggested we don't need a console in our home. In my defense, I'm not allowed a puppy :angel:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Varik wrote: »

I own a PS4 PRO, and a 4K SUHD TV.
    It's no great shakes tbh. There ISN'T much of a difference in reality.

For an extra E50 or so I think it's a good deal. My only issue is I'm not a fan of the recent CODs. In for a penny in for a pound, go for it. It removes any defence to the puppy argument in my opinion.
    Ardistel just looks like a retailer it says Sony on the box

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I own a PS4 PRO, and a 4K SUHD TV.
    It's no great shakes tbh. There ISN'T much of a difference in reality.

The point was on improvements seen where not using a 4K TV, and retro comment that developers were abandoning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

A bit of a difference between a puppy and a PS4. PS4 requires a LOT more TLC :P

Seriously though, if you have a 720 TV, then a PS4 pro would be a bit of a waste. If you are planning on getting a 4K/8K tv within the next 6 months or so, then the PS4 pro would be an option.

It's like buying a Land rover 4x4 just for shopping runs. It's overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

If my Girlfriend with the best of good intentions bought me a 500GB, last generation (iteration) PS4 I'd be so grateful and appreciative of her kindness and wonderful nature but secretly carry grief over the missing performance and I would cry privately every time I found that I was yet again already out of storage space.

Ki Ki don't buy your man a tricycle and then send him off to play with his mate who has a a graphite-framed racing bike.

- Also at the end of the day he may have some hope of selling on a 1TB PS4 Pro when he does want to upgrade.

My 1TB PS4 has been full for a while now - The installed data volume and updates can be truly massive and they add up very quickly.

PS - Sometimes when a girl asks for help some men will talk at length just to be saying 'something'...... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

From the sounds of it the guy hasnt gamed in years,a PS4,even the standard one would be streets ahead of what he has already owned in the past if he hasnt gamed in years.

500GB is small but not everyone has a ton of games,most of my friends play one or two games at a time and 500gb is perfectly adaquete for that.

Also weather you buy disc games or digital the install size will be the same. The disc is just there as a form of DRM.

Advertisement