Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean kelly Tour 2017

Options
  • 27-06-2017 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Looking forward to the skt this year. Started prepping for the 160. Previously did the 100k and walked half way up Seskin hill. I thought that was bad but tickincor looks a real sod altogether. Curious surely the guys that go up that must have a least a 32t on the back. In some places 13%. Figure borrow a few goats from a farmer to pull me along.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Tickincor isn't as nasty as one is led to believe, I got up there as a beginner with 11 28 on 50 34 at 108kgs, steady as she goes especially the first bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/1483192843/

In fairness to them they have changed up route after a fall in numbers last year. It has a lovely start, out the coast road and a nice enough route across to Portlaw, Clonea Power.

Ticincor with the climb up to bog is a proper 400m lift and will test lads who have gone too hard for first 100km. They'll need alert marshalls around the 105km & 110km mark though.

The route from Ballymacarbry to Bearys Cross is a lovely quite road, and looks like a Barry Meehan addition

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Atom Ant

dahat wrote: »
    Tickincor isn't as nasty as one is led to believe, I got up there as a beginner with 11 28 on 50 34 at 108kgs, steady as she goes especially the first bit.

You must be from krypton. I am 90kg with compact 30t. Anything above 6% drag is tough going. On a strict diet at the moment and figure get the new ultegra 11-34t. just to have a go. Took one guy on you tube 20 mins to get to the top. Anothet poor fellow keeled over. What are the other hills like?

ford2600 wrote: »
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/1483192843/

In fairness to them they have changed up route after a fall in numbers last year. It has a lovely start, out the coast road and a nice enough route across to Portlaw, Clonea Power.

Ticincor with the climb up to bog is a proper 400m lift and will test lads who have gone too hard for first 100km. They'll need alert marshalls around the 105km & 110km mark though.

[/quote
    thought it was 50k in. Checked out the climb but not where it was enroute. I was thinking of getting the train from Dublin to Clonmel and check it out when I lose a few potato's from the waistline in a month's time. Had a great time one year doing the 100k. Great weather. Love the mass start. I think the weather affects the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Good advice - maybe even drop it to your easiest gear for the first bit and also make sure there's plenty of space in front of you (you don't want someone stopping in front of you and stopping your momentum).

After Tickincor it continues up Powers the Pot - there's a few nasty pinches in it but again once you go nice and steady you'll be grand.

• Advertisement

Atom Ant wrote: »
    You must be from krypton. I am 90kg with compact 30t. Anything above 6% drag is tough going. On a strict diet at the moment and figure get the new ultegra 11-34t. just to have a go. Took one guy on you tube 20 mins to get to the top. Anothet poor fellow keeled over. What are the other hills like?

Well it isn't easy but don't leave it beat you, steady out and you'll be fine. It takes time to get over it so don't rush it. Not really looked at the route in full but Scrouty is a long old drag as well without massive gradient.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The SKT of Waterford has been on my 'to-do list' for a good few years. I'm thinking of doing it this year.

It's limited to 5,000 participants according to the website. Does it normally sell-out much in advance of the day? I'd rather wait another while before signing up so I can judge what condition I'm in.

marvin80 wrote: »
    maybe even drop it to your easiest gear for the first bit and also make sure there's plenty of space in front of you (you don't want someone stopping in front of you .

Good advice..some poor sod gives up the ghost on the hill akin to putting on the brakes due to gravity/gradient. Your on a push thinking about everything but him. Never really thought about that!

The SKT of Waterford has been on my 'to-do list' for a good few years. I'm thinking of doing it this year.

It's limited to 5,000 participants according to the website. Does it normally sell-out much in advance of the day? I'd rather wait another while before signing up so I can judge what condition I'm in.

It can do. Tour De Connemara like sold out very quickly. Whereas greedy sods for the ROK still have tickets and only a week away. If you are not that fit do the100k apart from Seskin hill is pretty easy. 8 weeks to go. Loads of training time. I always found ( but that's just me), If I train say 30k.. then to jump to 100k for the big day not such a biggie. Particularly if you can latch onto a group. Man I enjoyed that pint in Dungarvan afterwards in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

If you are not that fit do the100k apart from Seskin hill is pretty easy.

Looks like they've changed the route and Seskin isn't included -

http://www.visitwaterford.com/whats-on/event-subpage/TheRoutes.php

• Advertisement

marvin80 wrote: »
    Looks like they've changed the route and Seskin isn't included -

http://www.visitwaterford.com/whats-on/event-subpage/TheRoutes.php

That"s takes the fun out of it. I was looking forward to round two with that hill. I think I read somewhere it was included in a what sportive to do post. Hard to check it out on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

It can do. Tour De Connemara like sold out very quickly. Whereas greedy sods for the ROK still have tickets and only a week away. If you are not that fit do the100k apart from Seskin hill is pretty easy. 8 weeks to go. Loads of training time. I always found ( but that's just me), If I train say 30k.. then to jump to 100k for the big day not such a biggie. Particularly if you can latch onto a group. Man I enjoyed that pint in Dungarvan afterwards in the sun.

Seskin hill is not on the 160 route....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

I did this last year with Mahon taken out which was disappointing but weather was at fault.

After doing the W200 this looks far easier and I may do this but will be weather dependent as no point doing these local spins in crap weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I signed up for the 100km back in January, total newbie starting off, I'm up to 70km now so I think I'll be okay on the day. For a beginner there's still a couple of tough climbs on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

I did this new SK 160 few weeks ago, little over 2000m climbing, route is grand, you have 1000m done before you reach Tickincor at around 95k mark, all about taking it steady really as plenty of climbing left in last 60k

I did this last year with Mahon taken out which was disappointing but weather was at fault.

After doing the W200 this looks far easier and I may do this but will be weather dependent as no point doing these local spins in crap weather.

Weather wise get a few crap years go to figure this year will be cool. I started training 8 weeks in. First two weeks was finding my feet. I think slow and easy is the way to go. Amazing how strong your body becomes through cycling. Rest days are hugely important. I would do the SKT for the craic in the pubs afterwards.

Andalucia wrote: »
    I did this new SK 160 few weeks ago, little over 2000m climbing, route is grand, you have 1000m done before you reach Tickincor at around 95k mark, all about taking it steady really as plenty of climbing left in last 60k

No one ever mentions gearing what did you use, you weight and experience. As a newbie to the 160 I want all the help I can get. I did a big climb today at cherrywood said 6% jeez it was tough 8% got to be a real b****. Hey cost me nothing to walk it but it makes a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Should be no bother going around on a compact just pace yourself have always done it on a 50/34 with 28 on the back from 96kg to 106kg over the past 4 years....

Just fitted a 53/39 and 28 on the back for this years version albeit im slightly lighter but have twice the distance in my legs...
    So will report back.
    I cant say with a very early start from the big smoke and drive back that I look forward to the event but sure what else would be doing of a Sunday :D

Think its the first year it didnt sell out??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone recommend a bike shop in Waterford that would do something before this? Need a front derailleur checked and just can't get it sorted myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1 the town bike

Weather forecast for Sunday a little more encouraging now. Hope it's reasonably accurate. Makes life a lot easier.

• Advertisement

Im afraid to look after what I seen last Monday!!
    Memories of 2014 came flooding back...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Anyone recommend a bike shop in Waterford that would do something before this? Need a front derailleur checked and just can't get it sorted myself

They're usually fairly busy servicing rothars the week before this. Ring the various shops and ask would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

so Sean Kelly is commenting on the Vuelta today... wonder why he didn't turn up for the Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford this year? I remember in previous years you'd hear Kirkby mentioning that Sean was back home for the weekend for his tour and will be back on Monday.

Was there any talk in Dungarvan of why he wasn't home?
    (I missed the tour this year for the first time, couldn't get down for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Did the 160. Very rough roads for considerable sections. The full Tickincor delivered its usual salutary lesson.
    However the rain was something else. It kept us cool/cold and very miserable for almost all of the trip. Descending and cornering were treacherous. Nonetheless a great buzz around and generally excellent stewarding.
    Hope to thaw out by Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

andy69 wrote: »
    so Sean Kelly is commenting on the Vuelta today... wonder why he didn't turn up for the Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford this year? I remember in previous years you'd hear Kirkby mentioning that Sean was back home for the weekend for his tour and will be back on Monday.

Would be interested also to hear about this. I think just having his name on it is a bit of a joke. If I had to guess I would say its related to an post pulling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Did the 160. Very rough roads for considerable sections. The full Tickincor delivered its usual salutary lesson.
    However the rain was something else. It kept us cool/cold and very miserable for almost all of the trip. Descending and cornering were treacherous. Nonetheless a great buzz around and generally excellent stewarding.
    Hope to thaw out by Tuesday.

Agreed. Quite a bit of good surface but lots of really rough stuff. Along with the weather being miserable and obscuring all the scenery that took a lot of the good out of it. The climbs were the highlights. Also got chatting/ in groups with plenty of sound folks. Very tough day on the bike overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I did the 100km yesterday and the only thing I can consider myself lucky about was not doing the 160km :eek: Hats off to the 160 cyclists, animals!

I was familiar with the route having done it before but sweet lord I've never cycled in conditions as bad as yesterday. Of course being a fair weather sportive cyclist I didn't have a good light rain proof jacket so I was like a cold drowned rat after 10k.

I have to say though the support from the stewards was top notch, they kept things in high spirits all day, credit to them for standing out in that miserable weather for hours.

The top we received is nice, the sizing seems on the large side so I was lucky to pick the right size.

If I see another Flapjack I'll puke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Gerry wrote: »
    andy69 wrote: »

Would be interested also to hear about this. I think just having his name on it is a bit of a joke. If I had to guess I would say its related to an post pulling out.
    Yes it is a bit like  Croke Park I was there yesterday and Archbishop Croke didn't even turn up. Seriously I cant believe you are upset about this I don't think the cycle would have been more enjoyable if he had been there.

Poxy weather but happy to get around the 160km safe and sound with no mechanicals,
    Good bunch to finish the last 50km,
    I actually thought it was a little easier than the old route if I'm allowed to say that,
    Thanks to the volunteers for giving up their time and the great Cead mile failte provided to all.
    Not sure about next year.....yet:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

What were the numbers like?
    I think dropping Mahon falls was a big mistake (tho given the weather yesterday I'd assume it would have been closed off anyway). Thats the iconic climb and I think all sportives of significant distance need one.
    I'd also say kelly should be turning up to these especially if hes making money from it (not sure if he is?)

Advertisement