Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean kelly Tour 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

terrydel wrote: »
    What were the numbers like?
    I think dropping Mahon falls was a big mistake (tho given the weather yesterday I'd assume it would have been closed off anyway). Thats the iconic climb and I think all sportives of significant distance need one.
    I'd also say kelly should be turning up to these especially if hes making money from it (not sure if he is?)

Was talking to someone said it was down 1000 people....
    Wasnt a whole lot of people/bikes at the finish line but i would imagine everyone just went straight home.
    Say the half iron man possibly took some of the crowd..
    The weather forecast might have done some damage too.
    Entries were for sale still on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Did the 100k - atrocious weather, nice rolling roads though and got talking to some friendly cyclists along the route.

Very well organised cycle and grateful to all the volunteers for given up their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Well done to all that took part

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

Hats off to anyone who did the 160km ride yesterday it was filthy weather, they have been really unlucky the last couple of years. 
    Didn't ride this year but went out and did all the climbs on last years route including Mahon falls on Saturday. The descent off Mahon Falls gets worse and worse every year, they have done nothing to the road so it is a pretty loose surface. I was on the winter bike with 30 mm tyres and disc brakes. I took a slight wrong turn off Powers the Pot so did a couple of "wasted" ks but the whole ride is 80km if I hadn't gone wrong, most if not all the time you are following the brown signs for the Comeragh Drive . Ride is here if anyone is interested. 
    SK without flat bits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

El Vino wrote: »
    The descent off Mahon Falls gets worse and worse every year, they have done nothing to the road so it is a pretty loose surface.[/url]

Worth a shot sending Waterford County Council a message about the condition of the road.
    Considering it's a popular tourist spot you'd think they'd keep the surface in decent nick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

the numbers were way down again, from a high of 5000 two years go to 3000 this year across the 3 routes, that's a serious drop

need to change it to a Saturday I think, and this years route for 160k was crap to be honest, just a spin to make up the distance really

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Andalucia wrote: »
    the numbers were way down again, from a high of 5000 two years go to 3000 this year across the 3 routes, that's a serious drop

need to change it to a Saturday I think, and this years route for 160k was crap to be honest, just a spin to make up the distance really

Did it a few times and always thought there were too many entrants. Lots of sunday wannabe racers who wanted to cycle beside the great man. Flying up outside and cutting in sending a ripple back. Like that for50 Km till the first hill spat tjem off the back. Better event witn less IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Surely weather played a part in that though? I would have got a registration late last week if it was going to be a nice day, I'm a bit of a little bitch so glad I didn't in the end to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Third time doing the 160 and, weather-wise, it certainly was the worst. Coming out of the first food stop into heavy rain and a cold downhill section was the lowpoint of the day. It did however ease off just as I got to the start of Tikincor and I was even able to unzip the rain jacket near the top of Powers the Pot. Thought having the main climbs grouped together was less of a challenge than before and it would be great to see Mahon Falls included again, weather and road surface permitting.
    Two of us had started together and we got better as the day progressed at picking club groups to latch on to. Not sure if that makes us Sportif parasites but we both did our turns at the front. In fact the highlight of the day was being complimented by a Kingston Wheelers member after doing a tough uphill stint into the wind. In my many years of cycling, this (the compliment) was a first for me :)
    The number of local volunteers involved was incredible and they are what make this event great rather than the presence or not of a cycling superstar. Well done to them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Numbers are down in almost every sportive except for Beara in May.
    Far too many sportives this year. Every local organisation, usually non cycling, seemed to think they could make a packet in a day. They do not realise the number of helpers needed on a day!
    In my view, this years SK route was more difficult than previous. The balance of short ramps, drags and real climbs was ok. However the crap road surfaces take from the event. I was amazed not to see many more punctures/breakdowns. The stewarding was efficient and very friendly except for two junctions near Rathgormack left unattended.
    The rain made the day brutal. But that is part of cycling. You takes your chances!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

appreciate the numbers are down across the board, but I feel this event in particular is gone stale, the route could be a lot better and safer than what they threw together this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

benneca1 wrote: »
    Yes it is a bit like  Croke Park I was there yesterday and Archbishop Croke didn't even turn up. Seriously I cant believe you are upset about this I don't think the cycle would have been more enjoyable if he had been there.

Yeah it just seems he had more involvement in previous years - i was actually more upset about the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

Did 100 with Mrs Mattie, thought yesterday was great (weather and all). Ramps on the road out at the beginning probably need a Marshall but overall the marshals were simply brilliant... out in the teaming rain for hours. Great atmosphere on the road all the way round!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I preferred the old route. The new route seems easier but the road surface is terrible in a lot of places. Generally a tough day though, due a combination of an early heavy fall and the incessant rain.

Fair play and thanks to the marshals and those at the food stops. Excellent as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭niallo76

Did the 160, a bunch of 8 hardy souls,yep,the weather was desperate,and Christ Tickincor is a beast,but must say I enjoyed it.We stayed together,took our time on the hills,refueled,tried to enjoy it as best we could,the sense of achievement was great.Wet weather and headwinds is pretty much a given for Irish cyclists,I thought the route was very good,albeit very tough.Some of the descents were hairy,and made more difficult unless you had disc breaks,but again,bad roads and gravel is pretty much the norm on Irish roads.Would like to do the route without the rain!!Took us almost 6 and a half hours to complete,I never want to see Tickincor again in my life😂😂,but we did it and it's great to be able to say you did the 160K.But the volunteers and support at the food halls and along the way was unbelievable,thanks so much ,ye were brilliant...Rain,Wind,Muck,Bad Roads etc.despite these,we will still pull on our Lycra and face the elements,this is what we do,we are cyclists and we may be a little bit mad,but Jaysus,don't it feel great.....bring on SKT2018...rain or shine....🚵🚴

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Good healthy attitude you've got Niall.

Advertisement