Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man down Eastlink

Options
  • 27-06-2017 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭

Cyclist this morning looked to be involved in an incident on Eastlink northbound at about 08:00. Lying on the path with a number of people around him as I cycled past. Not sure what could have happened as traffic was heavy and slow moving.

Hopefully he is ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

That's part of my regular commuter route. It is by far the most dangerous section. Road surface terrible, squeeze point with the cars. I hope he/she is ok.

It was worse when the tram tracks were there I came off on the roundabout there a few years ago with a truck behind me. All I needed were new shorts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i reckon it's safe to assume that just because the cyclist was lying in the path does not mean that whatever happened, it did not occur on the path itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Incidentally, have the signs requesting cyclists dismount been removed from the East Link bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Incidentally, have the signs requesting cyclists dismount been removed from the East Link bridge?

Yes.

See thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057637956&page=10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i passed there at about quarter past 9 and there was no sign of anything incident related. hopefully that means it wasn't too serious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

That's the last stretch of my commute and it's really not my favorite part. I was happy to see traffic on the bridge which made it far easier for me to cross, the roundabout there is quite nasty, no matter what mode of transport you use.

Hope the cyclist is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I passed by this on my way to work, looked like it the cyclist and a taxi were involved. The guy was conscious at least when I went past and an ambulance very close by.

I thought I was safe cycling across this bridge as long as I didn't attempt to undertake any trucks. Usually traffic is at a standstill so just enough space for bikes to get by.

Regarding the dismount signs - there is still one on the Southside which appeared a few months ago (the previous signs were removed last Nov). I've come to the conclusion that the request for cyclists to dismount is just for path use asking those cyclists that think its ok to cycle along the path not to. There is no sign on the Northside coming Southside as no-one (cyclists or pedestrians) uses that path as you can't get to it easily/safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

I witnessed aftermath to this (from a distance) with an ambulance in attendance and a taxi car present at scene also. I couldn't vouch for whether or not the incident was due to a collision between the cyclist and the driver of the taxi or not. The taxi driver whose car was most immediate to where the cyclist was being attended to drove away after a few minutes and then two guards attended the scene to direct traffic and talk to the ambulance crew still at the scene.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

Hi All,

The cyclist who fell on the eastlink this morning was a relative of mine.

If anybody has any information regarding what happened I would be grateful if they could pass it on.

Thanks to the taxi driver and the nurse who stopped and looked after him until the ambulance arrived.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

Hi magicbastarder he is a bit banged up but okay thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Leinster D

Hi all. I'm doing ok and will be in hospital for a week or more.i have 3 broken bones in face that need mending, lots of stiches and lots of swelling and cuts and bruises. Thanks to those that helped me, the ambulance men and all staff in hospitals,

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get well soon Leinster, sounds like you've earned some strong painkillers.

Speedy recovery Leinster D hopefully you're back on your feet soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Are there any council cameras on the bridge that may have recorded to the incident, just a taught

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Leinster D wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm doing ok and will be in hospital for a week or more.i have 3 broken bones in face that need mending, lots of stiches and lots of swelling and cuts and bruises. Thanks to those that helped me, the ambulance men and all staff in hospitals,

Sorry to hear about your injuries. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks all

Get well soon.

Bad day on the Eastlink yesterday. As I was coming home up towards the roundabout on Sean Moore road (southside) last night around 5.20 there was a cyclist on the ground with a number of bystanders and a woman was holding his head steady as he lay on the ground.

Hopefully he is ok!!!

i don't use sean moore road in the evening - as suggested here, i go straight on through ringsend and swing right at the church, and drop on to the east link just a few yards from the bridge.
    i do use sean moore road in the mornings - but as i'm usually crossing the bridge just after 7am, the traffic is usually reasonably light.

Does anyone know if there are cameras at the middle opening point of the bridge ?

• Advertisement

i can't see one on the DCC page - there's one very close, but looking the wrong direction (north wall quay camera):

https://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Does anyone know if there are cameras at the middle opening point of the bridge ?

I can't say for all cameras, but ime of asking for footages some traffic cameras don't record at all.

Email traffic division. Some Local Authorities are very prompt at replying.

Gardai, if bothered, can get any private footage usually

Hi all. Am going to contact the guards and possibly the council this week to see if anything can be done about the hazard of the gap between each side of the bridge where each side lifts. Just wondering if anyone here was present and happened to photograph the gap in the bridge that morning? Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

Hi Leinster D,

I work nearby and witnessed the aftermath of the accident. After you were put in an ambulance two Gardai attended the scene and spoke to the ambulance crew. I think they had parked up on the Ringsend side of the bridge so may have come from Irishtown/Ringsend Garda station. I don't know if you were conscious or able to talk to them or if they interviewed you at any stage, but maybe you could follow up with them?

I cycled over the bridge about half an hour earlier travelling from north - south but didn't note anything unusual crossing the bridge that morning.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

Hi all. Am going to contact the guards and possibly the council this week to see if anything can be done about the hazard of the gap between each side of the bridge where each side lifts. Just wondering if anyone here was present and happened to photograph the gap in the bridge that morning? Thanks all

Are you thinking that there may have been something wrong with the join/gap that morning? I have cycled over it twice daily for 11 years and while I notice the gap, it always seems level and as you cross it at a right angle I never had a problem.

Worth asking if there was a bridge lift that morning?

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Are you thinking that there may have been something wrong with the join/gap that morning? I have cycled over it twice daily for 11 years and while I notice the gap, it always seems level and as you cross it at a right angle I never had a problem.

Worth asking if there was a bridge lift that morning?

Bridge eventually got back to me a few weeks back and said there wasn't a lift.

I have noticed recently there is a small almost A4 page sized sign stating "cyclists please dismount". Does anyone know is if this is new as never seemed to notice it before? Also it seems strange that it doesn't say you must dismount and it's merely more of a suggestion. Either the road is roadworthy for cyclists or it isn't.

IIRC it used to say 'cyclists must dismount' until someone brought it to the attention of andrew keegan, who had it changed.
    'you must dismount' means it's legally required of you to dismount - and it is not so on the bridge. 'please dismount' means 'we'd like you to'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Bridge eventually got back to me a few weeks back and said there wasn't a lift.

I have noticed recently there is a small almost A4 page sized sign stating "cyclists please dismount". Does anyone know is if this is new as never seemed to notice it before? Also it seems strange that it doesn't say you must dismount and it's merely more of a suggestion. Either the road is roadworthy for cyclists or it isn't.

The bridge is barely suitable for pedestrians let alone cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

IIRC it used to say 'cyclists must dismount' until someone brought it to the attention of andrew keegan, who had it changed.
    'you must dismount' means it's legally required of you to dismount - and it is not so on the bridge. 'please dismount' means 'we'd like you to'.
    Owen Keegan presumably?

• Advertisement

us good buddies of owen call him andrew.

Advertisement