Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing garage door to give two way access

Options
  • 27-06-2017 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

We have two huge garage doors opening into a lane. The are locked with a series of bolts and a padlock (see photo). If you go out the door from the garage you can padlock it from the outside but then the next person out would have a big walk around to the lane to open the doors

Our house is terraced and a bike has been nicked from the front. I want to start using the garage and lane as our bike entrance for four of us. How would you suggest changing the door to a two way system so people can come and go? I'm trying to this cost efficiently but I can't even contrive a technical solution except replacing the whole door which seems too expensive. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Gangu

Gangu wrote: »
    We have two huge garage doors opening into a lane. The are locked with a series of bolts and a padlock (see photo). If you go out the door from the garage you can padlock it from the outside but then the next person out would have a big walk around to the lane to open the doors

Our house is terraced and a bike has been nicked from the front. I want to start using the garage and lane as our bike entrance for four of us. How would you suggest changing the door to a two way system so people can come and go? I'm trying to this cost efficiently but I can't even contrive a technical solution except replacing the whole door which seems too expensive. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks

We are in Dublin. The doors are probably about 8 or 9 feet high. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭JamBur

Cut a rectangle above the latch large enough to reach through from inside. Just look at every garden gate around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Sell off the old doors and fit a Roller shutter. Picked one up second hand for €200 with electrics and remote. They are heavy to fit but well worth it.

JamBur wrote: »
    Cut a rectangle above the latch large enough to reach through from inside. Just look at every garden gate around.

I'm not really sure what you mean. How would you see the lock? Do you have a picture? I walked around the area the other day, down back lanes, looking at similar doors but I didn't see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Ideally what you need is a wicket door within one of the doors , but due to the construction of your doors without stiles and rails this would be difficult to fit without a lot of modifications to one of the doors

• Advertisement

Ideally what you need is a wicket door within one of the doors , but due to the construction of your doors without stiles and rails this would be difficult to fit without a lot of modifications to one of the doors

Thanks. I'm trying to avoid large expense if I can. A hole to reach into might work, I'm just really struggling to conceive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/9f4e8786f8034f33a16c2d0c7f52eace/close-up-of-lock-and-access-hole-on-suburban-garden-side-gate-j0pxm6.jpg

Something like this... Basically cut an access hole above where the bolt and padlock are... So you can close the doors from outside... Put your arm back in to slide the bolt and put the padlock on

Sorry for the late reply, a variation of mloc123's post was what I was thinking of. Can you post an image of your gate?

JamBur wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply, a variation of mloc123's post was what I was thinking of. Can you post an image of your gate?

It's in the first post. That's from the inside of the garage door. Thanks

mloc123 wrote: »
    http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/9f4e8786f8034f33a16c2d0c7f52eace/close-up-of-lock-and-access-hole-on-suburban-garden-side-gate-j0pxm6.jpg

Something like this... Basically cut an access hole above where the bolt and padlock are... So you can close the doors from outside... Put your arm back in to slide the bolt and put the padlock on
    I sort of get it. It'd still be hard to open from the outside based on that photo but you have me thinking!!!

• Advertisement

It's in the first post. That's from the inside of the garage door. Thanks

You're right it is, and I saw it before:) I guess I'm a bit distracted by a busy day. Thats perfect for the garden gate style hand access. Fiddly at first, but a doddle once you get used to it.

Advertisement