Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remodel of O'Connell St Limerick

Options
  • 27-06-2017 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Has anyone from Limerick looked at the planned design for the remodel of O'Connell St in Limerick? The planned cycle infrastructure has me completely baffled. Basically, in this grand plan to make Limerick's city centre a more liveable space, they have incorporated 1 very short, fragmented, contraflow, northbound cycle lane that shares public space with pedestrians. There is no cycle lane leaving the city centre (heading souththbound) - cyclists are expected to use the vehicular traffic lanes when leaving the city. This cycle 'facility' to me looks worse than useless and once again shows the local council's either complete and utter contempt or ignorance for cycling as a mode of transport. There also appears to be parking facilities for about 20-30 bikes at most so they probably aren't expecting anyone to really use a bicycle to get around Limerick. I have submitted my feedback to the council but if anyone else wants to do so, you have until June 29th. I would urge anyone with an interest in seeing Limerick to not completely balls up this opportunity to build something decent to send your submissions before the deadline.

Plans can be found on Limerick Smarter Travel website.

From limerick.ie:
    Feedback on this emerging plan will now be accepted until 29th of June 2017.
    Submissions will be accepted by post and email to:
    David Healy, Limerick City and County Council, Merchant’s Quay, Limerick, V94 EH90
    Tel: 061-407100/ 061-407129
    Email: LUCROC@arup.com
    Website: https://smartertravel.limerick.ie/project/remodelling-oconnell-street

A bit small but just to give you an overview. The cycle lane is on the left side (purple) and only covers 3 blocks. The orange lane is a bus lane.
    420892.png

Advertisement