Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home mesh wifi network

• 27-06-2017 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Have an old 200mpbs powerline kit and wifi repeater but its only N not AC and also still have a few places of poor signal quality. Also devices will stay connected to original access point when moving around despite better signal from other wifi source. Thinking of going down the mesh wifi route instead of buying a whole new powerline kit to fix these issues. Any recommendations?

This BT home wifi kit looks like a reasonable price and gets decent reviews, especially with the firmware upgrade.

Any issues with gaming on mesh networks Vs over powerline? Could always keep the powerline for just the xbone to router
    Do mesh networks actually solve the moving to strongest signal issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Scruff wrote: »
    Have an old 200mpbs powerline kit and wifi repeater but its only N not AC and also still have a few places of poor signal quality. Also devices will stay connected to original access point when moving around despite better signal from other wifi source. Thinking of going down the mesh wifi route instead of buying a whole new powerline kit to fix these issues. Any recommendations?

This BT home wifi kit looks like a reasonable price and gets decent reviews, especially with the firmware upgrade.

Any issues with gaming on mesh networks Vs over powerline? Could always keep the powerline for just the xbone to router
    Do mesh networks actually solve the moving to strongest signal issue?

Mesh does not work unless you have 2 radios and dedicate a radio just for backhaul. Repeating wireless just halves the bandwidth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Some of the new solutions like "eero" use multi channel systems so its not repeating solving the half duplex issues of older single band systems.

Problem is it adds hugely to wireless congestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Also it seems like clients not roaming to stronger wifi signal is a client issue and not the infrastructure. Installed an app called "wifi Roaming Fix" on my phone that seems to be doing a decent job of moving between my existing access points.
    Might go with an upgraded Powerline kit with 2 AC wifi extenders instead of mesh altogether as i was originally thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Scruff wrote: »
    Also it seems like clients not roaming to stronger wifi signal is a client issue and not the infrastructure. Installed an app called "wifi Roaming Fix" on my phone that seems to be doing a decent job of moving between my existing access points.
    Might go with an upgraded Powerline kit with 2 AC wifi extenders instead of mesh altogether as i was originally thinking.

In an un managed system the client is responsible for roaming, in a managed system the controller shunts clients around.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭comfort

Hi there,

I can see that nobody has been here or posted in some time but I have a question and apologies if incorrect thread (please advise on the correct lace to share this).

I have broadband with SKY and have a download speed of 70mb and 20mb up. The router is as I always state cheap and just does the job but poor on WiFi and I know purchasing a modem/router from a tech shop or online would be better. I decided to get the Linksys Velop Mesh System and have 3 nodes in the pack. Node 1 is connected to the sky router. Node 2 is on the same floor on the other side of the house in the dinning room and connects fine. Node 3 is on the second floor in the landing outside the main bedroom and connects fine also. I found that after contacting support etc and going through the options using the iOS Linksys Velop App had to put the Velop system into bridge mode and turn off the wifi on the sky router as there would be two wifi networks on the go and would cause issues.
    There are times that I find that the wifi for some devices just isn't doing what it says on the tin. My question is the following (at last and apologies for going on but I thought that background info might be important) I have read that the Velop system is actually a wifi router mesh system - so do I really need the Sky Router and just purchase a modem (a decent one) that I can connect the Velop Node 1 to it and then turn off bridge mode for the Velop system and have my wifi in full flow and obviously the ethernet will continue to work through the modem ?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted and if any questions please by all means respond and ask. Which would be the best modem out there to do the job and give me complete full wifi everywhere in the house.

My initial plan was to have Node 2 on the second floor on the opposite side of Node 1 and then Node 3 on the 3rd floor (attic converted) and this I would have presumed would give full wifi speed all over the house - granted I know that the full speed would be dependent on the number of wifi attached devices are currently running also and there are a lot with 3 kids nearly out of their teens but big into internet (gaming online, smart tv's, 2 x NAS devices, several Playstations and so on)

Many thanks in advance

• Advertisement
Advertisement