Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP Dynamic IP for WAN

Options
  • 27-06-2017 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,
    Looking into buying a set of ip cameras for the house. Just simple ones that I can setup and record on my home nas. So I would like to check in every now and then remotely.
    I am wondering would it be more preferable to have a static wan ip or dynamic
    Currently I have a dynamic one with 200 odd MB with virgin. They say they will set me up with a business account which has static ip and 100MB for the se price as I am currently paying. This would mean I don't have to pay €30 or €40 a year to a ddns service like Dyn. The loss of 100MB is negligible also, as 100MB is more than enough for what I want.
    So the real question I have is...in term of security...is there any reason why the static would be more vulnerable than the dynamic ip? I think once ports are open I am vulnerable anyway..but just curious if there is an extra precaution I could tale that would save me later...
    All help appreciated
    Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

UPC never bother changing their dynamic IPV4 IP's. I would check to make sure you actually have one.

http://test-ipv6.com/

Go there, if you score as being IPV6 capable you don't actually have a IPV4 IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brendanos

Thanks cuddlesworth. Ok I can check that later tonight after I get to work. If that is the case then I don't need to change the package from the isp.
    Sould it still be any safer to register a dynamic ip with someone like dyndns and have it pointing to the router/nas. Or is this still just as open to attacks? I just want to make sure I take all the necessary precautions to avoid get hacked and having to pay money to get my files back...

Once you open ports, you open them to everything on the world wide web.

I was simply referring to the costs of buying a dynamic DNS or paying them for a static. Its not usually required.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Once you open ports, you open them to everything on the world wide web.

I was simply referring to the costs of buying a dynamic DNS or paying them for a static. Its not usually required.

You can get a free dynamic DNS from such as https://www.noip.com/

Might be a good way to start testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

UPC never bother changing their dynamic IPV4 IP's. I would check to make sure you actually have one.

http://test-ipv6.com/

Go there, if you score as being IPV6 capable you don't actually have a IPV4 IP.

This is not true - they do change but not very often. You can have the same dynamic IP address for months on end and then the next time you reboot your router get a new one.

• Advertisement

This is not true - they do change but not very often. You can have the same dynamic IP address for months on end and then the next time you reboot your router get a new one.

How long was your modem out for? I've had the same address for 3 years now. And every single location I have lived in in Dublin with UPC/VM has kept its address for 1+ year.

Advertisement