Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often?

• 27-06-2017 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just curious about a few things -

Aside from the obvious,

how often would you change your tyres? 15,000km, or wait until they near the limit?
    how often would you get a new helmet? 4-5 years?
    how often would you change your boots? 2-3 years?
    how often would you change your gear? 4-5 years?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

tyres when you hate the ones you have, any cracks are showing, worn down to the wear indicators, bad square profile, swiss cheese from plugging

change everything else when damaged or falling apart

not supposed to keep using a helmet that is more than 5 years old or something along those lines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Paulw wrote: »

Aside from the obvious,

how often would you change your tyres? 15,000km, or wait until they near the limit? When they are in sh1te and down low on the thread
    how often would you get a new helmet? 4-5 years? If its bad fitting or I see a good deal
    how often would you change your boots? 2-3 years? If they start leaking
    how often would you change your gear? 4-5 years? Depends on wear and if I think its time for new/good deal available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Tyres = as above (mad wear patterns, squaring, worn to indicators, bad feedback etc.)
    Gear = As required (leaking, worn, something shinier on sale, smashed!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I dont keep my bikes long enough to replace the tyres :o

Slightly embarrassed by that now, I dont think I've bought new tyres since 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hodge32

Wow, what an open question!!???

I'll get it started - I bike every day (40kms) I have no car. I have good affordable gear - Not bananas expensive

PRS Pro Series jacket - 3 year warranty - any extra is a bonus!! (BTW RST replaced my last jacket after is started leaking after 29 months - Excellent service)
    Alpinestars touring trousers - 2 year warranty, on my third year now
    Alpinestars boots Goretex - 2 year warranty - a day extra will be a bonus - Great value boot

Tyres - Roadsmart 3 - 9000kms - replaced the pair for Roadtec 01's - Currently 3000kms.

Helmet - Shoei GT Air - Replaced the first after 3 & 1/2 years - Inside was bet and it made more sense to replace. I replaced with same - GT Air - I think 4 years is good going it worn every day in all weather. Warranty is 5 years (Arai now give 7 year warranty)

All relevant on how much you can spend and how often worn. I also have very light summer gear and boots for the 12 days of sunshine we get annually!!!

I know a guy with Rukka gear who bikes daily and he's into his fifth year with the full gear - Mind you, he spent almost 2k on them with Daytona boots..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Aside from the obvious,

how often would you change your tyres? 15,000km, or wait until they near the limit?

I change tyres when it's time to change them. Last set 5k km, current set should last 15k km.

I changed helmet after 3 years as it was starting to show its age.

Boots... when needed. Hole in one now so will change by end of the summer.

I still have my original gear. Around 5 years now. Not as waterproof as it once was so I guess at end of summer.

Basically I change stuff when it needs changing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Everything when its worn out, however I'm wearing my jacket well over 25 years.

My RST pants and boots fell apart inside their first year, I'll never buy RST again.

I don't have the money to go with replacing my helmet and gear too often, I'd easily get 5-10 years from a helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Aside from the obvious,

Tyres - When they need replacing, what other reason would there be unless there is a problem.

Helmets - Ohhh I currently have 4, I am a bit like a women and shoes in this area. But no more now for a year or 2.

Boots - Again when need replacing, I have a 2 pairs of Alpinestars both the same. One with Goretex and one without.

Gear - I dont change gear at all really. I have the same textiles now as when I started out 5 yrs ago still perfect. And one set of leathers that are well worn but super comfy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Myself and the missus go three times a week

Oh sorry this is the motorbike section awks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,127 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Myself and the missus go three times a week

Oh sorry this is the motorbike section awks
    Does your helmet need replacement yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Aside from the obvious,

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fireblade77

Lumen wrote: »
    Does your helmet need replacement yet?

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Well, I've a new set of tyres on order. I've 15,000km done and the front is wearing more than the back. I could probably get to winter out of them, but would need them changed in Nov at the latest. So, I plan to get a new set on before the weather turns.

Helmet so far is grand. No immediate plans to change it. It's now almost 3 years old.

Boots are well worn but doing fine. No plans to change yet. No leaks yet. :D

Gear is grand. Washed it, for the first time, a few weeks ago. Used some Nikwax in the wash and it seems to have given them a bit more life.

Interesting getting the other views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Tyres I would leave untill they're squared off or reaching the wear indicators but I've tended to have to replace them from bad punctures prior to them being completely worn for the last few times.

I had a good chat with the guy on the shark service can at cotters open day about helmet shelf life. I had thought that it was UV exposure that caused the 5 year recommended shelf life but it is actually sweat and the putting on and taking off of the helmet which causes the liner to shrink and reduce the effectiveness of the helmet. He suggested that if you wear the helmet infrequently and wash the innards that keeping it five years or more shouldn't be an issue whatsoever. I had my previous lid for five years and used it recently after my main one got a soaking and it felt extremely loose and unsafe.

I replace boots as soon as they leak but my last pair didn't hold up well at all, buckles and sliders etc falling off and all grip worn away so I replaced them despite being reasonably dry.

I have the same leather trousers about five years and jacket about 8 years. Had a few zips and zippers replaced but otherwise still good.

Gloves I find lose their warmth after a year or two, you don't notice so much until you try a brand new pair again...

I have a new set of tyres on order aswell getting them fitted Friday. It will be the 1st time in 6 yrs I have not bought Michelin PR series they are just far too soft on the front ( 3 & 4 series) due to the excessive cuts in the front tyre they "Scallop" something fierce. Had the issue on the 3 series on a different bike with two sets and now the 4 series on current bike. Its a well know issue with the tyres, they are a fabulous tyre but the back tyre is lasting longer then the front which is madness.

I am getting the Metzeler 01 series which are getting fabulous reviews and 2 different bike shops I rang said they are a better tyre by a "country mile" then the PR4's but they are pricey enough, €305 fitted and balanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Let us know how they are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Tyres - when they're worn out, they'd never last to 15k kms.
    Gear -when they're worn out, that's practically never though, I've a fair collection so cycle them regularly.
    Helmet - about 7 years or so, unless it gets a bang etc.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    Tyres - when they're worn out, they'd never last to 15k kms.

I remember my FZ6 I bought a set of PR2's for it the 1st summer I bought it. I got well over 23,000kms from them tyres the lads (some still on here) could not believe it.

Next set I got didnt last that long but tyres in general are deffo getting real soft.

Wonda-Boy wrote:
    Next set I got didnt last that long but tyres in general are deffo getting real soft.
    Super sticky soft all the way, don't care about mileage, it's about grip for me. Must pass thumbnail test.

Yeah, but you obviously ride a certain type of bike (supersports) in a certain way (ballstothewall) in a certain type of weather (dry/sunny) so you will tailor you tyre accordingly, probably a Pirelli Supercorsa or the like.....unfortunately I am not in a position to shell our 300 euro every 6mths for tyres.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's a blade but try to ride with a good bit in hand, dry weather only; hands up guilty.
    Race compound rubber doesn't last long no matter how you go though, the confidence is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Like Wonda I stopped using PR's because of the excessive wear on the front tyre (on my BMW).

On the Vstrom I could ride on the steel rims and there's not enough power to lose grip lol

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I can't believe it really but my rear tire is really worn out after 8000 miles on a fückīng ER5.
    Avon too so not some supersoft sporty tire either.

I do accelerate away from lights and out of corners with reckless abandon, but come on, its a 500 twin, I have to or else it will chug.

It'll last a while longer I'm sure but its nearly there.

Still worth it though.

bladespin wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a blade but try to ride with a good bit in hand, dry weather only; hands up guilty.
    Race compound rubber doesn't last long no matter how you go though, the confidence is worth it.

Yeah I would love to have a rip on race tyres Id say its unbelievable the grip....and as you say inspires alot of confidence which is very important on a bike.

I do be out in all weathers and hopefully getting touring so need the wet weather tyres.

CaptainR wrote: »
    I can't believe it really but my rear tire is really worn out after 8000 miles on a fückīng ER5.

I do accelerate away from lights and out of corners with reckless abandon, but come on, its a 500 twin, I have to or else it will chug.

Still worth it though.

You could adjust the way you drive to maximise the milage mate, you can still blast away from the lights but get the bike rolling first not from a standing start. Use engine braking more saves on tyres and fuel.....

CaptainR wrote:
    More to do with weight, lean and braking I'd say, powering out is inly a small part of a tyres job, unless you're really into powersliding.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

CaptainR wrote: »

Still worth it though.

I got 10k miles out of my last rear on a hayabusa!! I'm doing something wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

lennymc wrote: »
    I got 10k miles out of my last rear on a hayabusa!!

I wonder what Synthol gets out of his super busa. :D 2k, driving by speed vans, back and forth. :rolleyes:

I wonder what Synthol gets out of his super busa. :D 2k, driving by speed vans, back and forth. :rolleyes:

He only has to buy back tyres, coz he wheelies everywhere!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭positron

Wonda-Boy wrote:
    I remember my FZ6 I bought a set of PR2's for it the 1st summer I bought it. I got well over 23,000kms from them tyres the lads (some still on here) could not believe it.

I would believe it, I got 30k+ from a PR3 front and 25k+ on PR3 rear on a Fazer 600. :) PR4 didn't last that long. Now on cheaper Pirelli Angels.

Advertisement