Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on Paths.

Options
  • 27-06-2017 12:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

I don't cycle but i hope you can admit my query.

Are cyclists allowed on pedestrian footpaths?

If so, who has the right of way?

A street near where I live, has cars parked on the foot path then the cyclists want to cycle on the already narrow footpath. A girl rang a bell at me one day to move out of her way on the foot path.

I understand sometimes traffic may be heavy and not safe but couldn't a cyclist walk with the bike for a bit when pedestrians are using the same path?

Drivers need to be more respectful of cyclists on the road and shouldn't that extend to cyclists being more respectful of pedestrians on the path?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If there is a section marked as a cycle path. you can cycle on that. If not, you can't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cyclists should not cycle on the footpath. There is an exception for children, both in not being legally responsible and the minister saying that he would never have the FPN system used to ticket children by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Legally you cannot cycle on a footpath in Ireland unless a cycle lane has been provided.

Your next query is probably going to be "why is it happening so often?" The reason why is because there is little enforcement and most people take advantage of this. If you try dealing with it yourself, as in confronting a cyclist about use of a footpath then you are likely to get a slap depending on who you're talking to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

gizmo81 wrote: »
    I don't cycle but i hope you can admit my query.

Are cyclists allowed on pedestrian footpaths? NO

If so, who has the right of way? Cyclist should not be there so pedestrians

A street near where I live, has cars parked on the foot path then the cyclists want to cycle on the already narrow footpath. A girl rang a bell at me one day to move out of her way on the foot path. She was rude or maybe she was just asking permission. Why were their cars on the footpath would have been my question

I understand sometimes traffic may be heavy and not safe but couldn't a cyclist walk with the bike for a bit when pedestrians are using the same path?Yes they could and should

Drivers need to be more respectful of cyclists on the road and shouldn't that extend to cyclists being more respectful of pedestrians on the path?Everyone should respect each other

MOD VOICE: That's everything answered, anyone like the thread reopened, please PM me a valid reason why.

Note: Labelling all cyclists d1cks because of one cyclist on a footpath is not a valid reason

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement