Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Examiner - EV target cut by 90%

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Water John wrote: »
    Every Dept. is looking at the next one. Environment, Natural Resources, Ag. The game is called, pass the buck.

The state does have the excuse that it was under an EU/ECB/IMF austerity and sovereignty suspension programme for a number of years and capital spend was basically off the table entirely.

However, there's no longer any excuse for not getting on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

bk wrote: »
    Quite the opposite, remember it was the Green Party who heavily promoted Diesel cars and reduced the various taxes on them, making us have more Diesel cars then any country in Europe :mad:

The greens haven't a clue what they are talking about!

I'm really tired of hearing this criticism.
    How do you think the policy to promote diesels was arrived at? Through the advice of the scientists and the lobbying of the manufacturers .

I saw a UK ex-Chief Scientific Offier in the UK (i.e head scientific advisor to UK govt.) interviewed recently and he was challenged on this point.
    His answer was that he went to the test laboratory and saw the tests result and was assured that the benefits would be achieved out in the real-world too.
    He stopped short of saying the manufacturers lied but we now know that is exactly what some (many?) of them did.

So complain that politicians were too trusting or didn't insist on real-world testing but complaining it's the Green's Party's fault we have all these stinking diesel is well wide of the mark.

And many other EU countries were duped too - not just IRL.
    And the EU is still caving in to lobbying. Only Holland voted against allowing car to exceed limits for many more years. Car manufacturers have succeeded in getting the new emmissions testing regs watered down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Speaking anecdotally, it seems to be quite a high % because landlords only care about the installation and maintenance costs.
    Storage heating's very cheap to install but it's horrifically expensive to run. There are a lot of 80s, 90s and 2000s era stuff with electric heating. Typically it's storage heating in the main areas and full-rate normal radiant panels in the bedrooms and electric heating in the bathroom too.

Most may be the cheapo Dimplex wall-mounted storage heaters, but I'm in an apartment with underfloor electric storage heating (in every room except bathroom) and it works quite well with reasonable running costs. I'd rather have this than gas and its associated risks in high-density housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The state does have the excuse that it was under an EU/ECB/IMF austerity and sovereignty suspension programme for a number of years and capital spend was basically off the table entirely.

However, there's no longer any excuse for not getting on with it.

What I said :)
    I'm in an apartment with underfloor electric storage heating (in every room except bathroom)

The one room in a house where underfloor heating is really useful is,

...the bathroom :p

Advertisement