Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pubs for two nights in Waterford city in July

Options
  • 27-06-2017 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103407686

I said I'd be back with a query about pubs.

We are staying in the Fitzwilton on Bridge street, on a Monday and Tuesday night.

I'll be going to pubs solo.

I have been to the city before, and know my way around fairly well.

I have been in Jordan's on the Quay before and really liked it.

If it's any help, I really liked a pub which I think is Heffernan's on a corner in Wexford town. I suppose some people would say that I like "old man's pubs", although I wouldn't agree with that 100%.

I know T.H. Doolan (correct name?).

Is the Moondharraig/ Maher's on OCS open?

I welcome any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Geuze wrote: »
    Following on from this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103407686

I said I'd be back with a query about pubs.

We are staying in the Fitzwilton on Bridge street, on a Monday and Tuesday night.

I'll be going to pubs solo.

I have been to the city before, and know my way around fairly well.

I have been in Jordan's on the Quay before and really liked it.

If it's any help, I really liked a pub which I think is Heffernan's on a corner in Wexford town. I suppose some people would say that I like "old man's pubs", although I wouldn't agree with that 100%.

I know T.H. Doolan (correct name?).

Is the Moondharraig/ Maher's on OCS open?

I welcome any advice.

Uisce beatha on quay very good.tullys not far from that on O'Connell street.New old man pub as you call it opened on Georges street...JK Kavanagh.all these are 2 minute walks from each other down your hotel direction.
    Further down the quay(passed Jordan's) near the mall, you have the reg and katty Barry's.
    Since you are visiting, you should head up Apple market way which is pub central in Waterford, some nice pubs there, not really old man pubs but bit lively and worth visit to see new roof on Apple market..

You'll probably get people recommending pubs outside of city centre such as up ballybricken way, I'd ignore that, I'm guessing since you visiting, you're not pushed about visiting fine but unremarkable pubs outside of core city centre..

Add ...I suppose some might say Tommy mahers, across from tullys is the ultimate old man pub, limited selection, unusual hours and you might get weird looks from the old regulars if you are loud, cursing, on your phone, generally being a twat.still alright for quiet one,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Market Place next to Geoffs for a late one. It's new but there's good music in the and no kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Boooourns wrote: »
    Market Place next to Geoffs for a late one. It's new but there's good music in the and no kids.

Is that shortts now ???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Okay, thanks.

(1) Uisce Beatha, Merchant's Quay

(2) Tully's bar, OCS, opposite Thomas Maher's - I think I was in this pub maybe 5 years ago

(3) JK Kavanagh, Georges street

(4) Thomas Maher, OCS

(5) Jordans, Parade Quay
    (6) The Reg, the Mall
    (7) Katty Barry's, Mall lane

Thanks very much.

I had never heard of Katty Barrys, thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Okay, thanks.

(2) Tully's bar, OCS, opposite Thomas Maher's - I think I was in this pub maybe 5 years ago

(4) Thomas Maher, OCS

(5) Jordans, Parade Quay
    (6) The Reg, the Mall

Thanks very much.

Number 3 is JK Walshes not Kavanaghs. Don't want you wandering up and down looking for Kavanaghs!

Deiseen wrote: »
    Number 3 is JK Walshes not Kavanaghs. Don't want you wandering up and down looking for Kavanaghs!

My bad, used to work with someone called that i think..the JK confuses them both for me.

Okay, thanks.

(4) Thomas Maher, OCS

(5) Jordans, Parade Quay
    (6) The Reg, the Mall

Thanks very much.

Can I also add Davy Mac's and Geoffs. People tend to hate on Geoffs for being bit too cool for school (which it is) but it's a very nice bar. It's down on John Street and Davy Mac's is across the road, in the lane way beside the Kazbar.
    The Munster Bar on the Mall and Baileys New Street  (next to the Reg) is also worth a shout, especially on a nice day as they have a seating area in Baileys new street next to the old abbey ruins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

was actually walking down georges street and onto o connell street looking for JK Kavanaghs last night. Thought another new pub had openned

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can I also add Davy Mac's and Geoffs. People tend to hate on Geoffs for being bit too cool for school (which it is) but it's a very nice bar. It's down on John Street and Davy Mac's is across the road, in the lane way beside the Kazbar.
    The Munster Bar on the Mall and Baileys New Street  (next to the Reg) is also worth a shout, especially on a nice day as they have a seating area in Baileys new street next to the old abbey ruins.

theres also the gingerman pub on arundel square (around the corner from John Roberts Square and about a 2 min walk from Walshs on georges street) which has good food but sometimes can be quite dead in the evening times esp midweek

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »

theres also the gingerman pub on arundel square (around the corner from John Roberts Square and about a 2 min walk from Walshs on georges street) which has good food but sometimes can be quite dead in the evening times esp midweek

Also a very decent pub! Should have mentioned it!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Okay, thanks.

(4) Thomas Maher, OCS

(5) Jordans, Parade Quay
    (6) The Reg, the Mall

Thanks very much.

Downses on Thomas Street, just around the corner from your hotel. Lovely pub and great character to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Okay, thanks.

(4) Thomas Maher, OCS

(5) Jordans, Parade Quay
    (6) The Reg, the Mall

Thanks very much.

That's a nice little pub crawl if you switch Katy's and the reg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Boooourns

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is that shortts now ???

The back of it still is but the front bar has a new wall so it's sectioned off. Just opened last week, it's small but it does the job.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Downses on Thomas Street, just around the corner from your hotel. Lovely pub and great character to it.

Thanks very much.

I would not have strayed off OCS so I would have missed this one.

I got settled in Thomas Maher's last week, so visited just one pub that night.

Lovely, cosy pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Nicest places to drink in Waterford imo are Mahers, Tully's, or Downes. I am a fairly young man, but the night clubs in this city are fairly trashy.

On the first night I walked along Bridge street and veered left into the Glen. I walked to get a feel of the streets, hadn't been in this area in maybe 20 years.

I walked past Aldi, and the street opened out. There was what looked like a cinema. I turned right, and walked towards Morgan street.

I wanted to find the IoT campus marked Newgate Street campus on my map [map is dated 2006.]

I stood at the junction of Morgan and Phillips. I could see what looked like an old shopping centre further out Morgan.

There were many cottages around, I assume former Corporation social housing, and empty buildings.

I walked along Morgan towards Ballybricken green, where I turned right.

I walked along the south side of Ballybricken, there were a few pubs and chippers, etc. Some of the pubs here looked interesting, but I continued.

Opposite a Garda staion, I turned right into Mayor's Walk, more chippers I think, then left onto Newgate.

No sign of any IoT buildings.

I walked downhill, and veered right onto New street. The map suggested that the IoT building should be on the right, after Cross Lane.

But no sign of it?

Is that the City Wall I think I saw along Cross Lane?

I veered left onto New, past a garden "made by the people for the people"

Is that the first ever CBS building on New street?

At the bottom of New, I saw an unusual object.

It looked like a large glass canopy, covering a market area?

Then I turned left onto Michael, which I note is now free of traffic, or at least partly.

Michael, Broad, Georges, then into Maher's.

PBG = 450, Beamish = 390.

The second night I walked up Bridge street, but turned left onto Anne.

The whole area is a mix of modern apartment blocks and much older buildings.

From Anne, I turned left onto Thomas, and into Downes pub.

Big pub, bigger than I expected for a pub so old.

Odd, there wasn't many people in the pub, yet there appeared to be a gig on. I could hear it, but I couldn't see it.

And nobody seemed to be coming to and from the music.

• Advertisement

From Downes I went to Tullys, good pub, touch of class.

Has this pub changed hands or being redesigned in the last ten years?

As I think I was in this pub maybe 8 years ago, but the interior was different?

Guinness = 450

Then to Jordan's, unusual counters, narrower than normal.

More of an older clientele.

Live music in a cosy room out the back, with a side entrance.

Good pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

On the first night I walked along Bridge street and veered left into the Glen. I walked to get a feel of the streets, hadn't been in this area in maybe 20 years.

I walked past Aldi, and the street opened out. There was what looked like a cinema. I turned right, and walked towards Morgan street.

I wanted to find the IoT campus marked Newgate Street campus on my map [map is dated 2006.]

I stood at the junction of Morgan and Phillips. I could see what looked like an old shopping centre further out Morgan.

There were many cottages around, I assume former Corporation social housing, and empty buildings.

I walked along Morgan towards Ballybricken green, where I turned right.

I walked along the south side of Ballybricken, there were a few pubs and chippers, etc. Some of the pubs here looked interesting, but I continued.

Opposite a Garda staion, I turned right into Mayor's Walk, more chippers I think, then left onto Newgate.

No sign of any IoT buildings.

I walked downhill, and veered right onto New street. The map suggested that the IoT building should be on the right, after Cross Lane.

But no sign of it?

Is that the City Wall I think I saw along Cross Lane?

I veered left onto New, past a garden "made by the people for the people"

It hasn't been a campus for a long time. Has been derelict for years and someone was actually murdered in it a couple of years ago.

When you walked down Newgate street and around the corner to New street it would have been on the right hand side of the road as you took the corner but completely indistinguishable as a former campus.

Seems like you saw a good bit of the city.

There's two areas to Downes bar, the posh part and the old part. Posh part is likely where the gig was as you walk into the old part when you go in

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Market Place?? funny name for a pub. Maybe they might change the name of the nightclub to the Cattle Market :pac: God, I crack myself up. The Cattle Market in the Apple Market....no?...I'll get me coat.

Advertisement