Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Rents

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

gramo wrote: »
    In regard to moving further a field it's not something I want to do with a young family. My children are happy in there school, they have friends. To first take them away from there friends at home and then throw in loosing there friends at school I just couldn't do.

You don't need to move far from Greystones to see a dramatic drop in property prices. Children can remain in the same school and mix with the same friends.

When property prices went completely nuts (about 11 years ago) I moved out of Greystones and bought close by. My daughter still goes to school in Greystones and retains the same friends. It is best thing I ever did. I love Greystones and spend a lot of time these, but the mortgage for a similar size and type of house would have left me penniless. I decided that life was too short to put myself under that sort of financial pressure.

Each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

2011 wrote: »
    You don't need to move far from Greystones to see a dramatic drop in property prices. Children can remain in the same school and mix with the same friends.

When property prices went completely nuts (about 11 years ago) I moved out of Greystones and bought close by. My daughter still goes to school in Greystones and retains the same friends. It is best thing I ever did. I love Greystones and spend a lot of time these, but the mortgage for a similar size and type of house would have left me penniless. I decided that life was too short to put myself under that sort of financial pressure.

Each to their own I guess.

Agreed. Kilcoole, Newtown and Newcastle may have to be options to look at.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭beepbeeprichie

My bad regarding the mortgage relief,
    In regard to moving further a field it's not something I want to do with a young family. My children are happy in there school, they have friends. To first take them away from there friends at home and then throw in loosing there friends at school I just couldn't do.

Our jobs are in the area as well.. to be honest I hope the economy burst again, if anything I was better off as a family when it burst the last time. My salary didn't decrease but the cost of living went down.

And there is a reason the prices are going up, it's the estate agents bumping them up. Same as the last time

Greystones is not the centre of the universe, trust me. If your jobs are in the area then your kids can still go to the same school, play with their friends etc. They will make new friends wherever they live, don't let this be such a deciding factor in where you live. If you can't afford around Greystones then move a little further out, you need to be realistic, the kids will be fine. Most people don't get to live, work and play in the one town.
    If things change and Greystones prices come down then by all means move back. But that's not likely, by procastinating are you going to miss out on a property a few miles down the road? The prices are going to keep going up in places like kilcoole, Newtown and Wicklow so don't get priced out of there too. It is madness, but start getting pro active. No point having happy kids if you are stressed to the heavens!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alexnapier101

Our jobs are in the area as well.. to be honest I hope the economy burst again, if anything I was better off as a family when it burst the last time. My salary didn't decrease but the cost of living went down.

Ouch, now that is a kick in the teeth the people who lived through the most economically depressed and awful times over the last decade.

Rising prices are a direct side effect of the economic recovery / growth. It is just for unfortunate and frustrating in your case, house prices have outpaced other costs.

The other side of the coin is many house buyers who bought during the boom have seen their assets lifted out of negative equity, allowing them to move or scale up.

Advertisement