Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Road new speed limits

Options
  • 27-06-2017 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that the speed limits on the tramore road have changed?

They have changed from where the strawberrys are sold to the ballindud roundabout from 60km/h to 80km/h.

And then from the ballindud roundabout to superquinn, again 60km/h to 80km/h.

I feel this has been long needed, the stretch of road from ballindud roundabout to superquinn should have never been 60km/h.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Are you sure some idiots didn't just turn the signs around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

80 kmh means you should get to the end of the queue of cars at the Superquinn roundabout 30 seconds faster , happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

gscully wrote: »
    Are you sure some idiots didn't just turn the signs around?

That's what I thought at first, but on the way out to tramore on the superquinn end, there are new 80km signs up also.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

So they have increased the speed limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

That's what I thought at first, but on the way out to tramore on the superquinn end, there are new 80km signs up also.

I thought the same so had hubby checking the backs of signs as we were passive to make sure they hadn't been twisted around.

About time they've changed it up. 60kmph was ridiculous on those stretches of road.

• Advertisement

Actually think it will lead to a few accidents especially the turn into Kingfisher and Superquinn, but 30 seconds saved over 2.5 km , happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

It's great it is changed to 80 now. The issue is very few cars have noticed the increase so I ended up stuck behind a car doing 60 today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Hopefully the increase of stop the overtaking by impatient drivers who thought it was 80 already. Though I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The Tramore Road has to be the most frustrating road to drive in Waterford,whatever about sticking to the speed limit but it seems to attract the slowest drivers in Ireland one car doing 40 can hold up the whole road...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The Tramore Road has to be the most frustrating road to drive in Waterford,whatever about sticking to the speed limit but it seems to attract the slowest drivers in Ireland one car doing 40 can hold up the whole road...

That is indeed the fault of the road and not the driver. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

That is indeed the fault of the road and not the driver. ;)

stupid road!:D

Carrickphierish Road has also been updated. It is now 60kmph from the Old Kilmeaden road roundabout to the halting site and 50kmph the rest of the way.

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    It's great it is changed to 80 now. The issue is very few cars have noticed the increase so I ended up stuck behind a car doing 60 today ;)

80 is the limit , not the minimum speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Chiparus wrote: »
    Actually think it will lead to a few accidents especially the turn into Kingfisher and Superquinn, but 30 seconds saved over 2.5 km , happy days!

I think I know what you're saying - that the increase in permitted speed really makes no difference to people and a speed limit of 60KPH is no hardship. I can't disagree with that.

However, I think that speed limits should be sensible and this one wasn't. It's a good stretch of road with only one exit/entrance between Kingfisher and the Roundabout. It didn't seem to me to be one that needed such a low limit. I can barely recall ever seeing a car that actually stick below 60KPH - almost all drivers broke the speed limit. When speed limits are commonly ignored, it leads to lack of respect for speed limits generally. There's an estate in Ferrybank that has a sign limiting speed to 8KPH. I doubt that a single car actually obeys this limit. Rules that nobody obeys serve no purpose.

I think I know what you're saying - that the increase in permitted speed really makes no difference to people and a speed limit of 60KPH is no hardship. I can't disagree with that.

However, I think that speed limits should be sensible and this one wasn't. It's a good stretch of road with only one exit/entrance between Kingfisher and the Roundabout. It didn't seem to me to be one that needed such a low limit. I rarely recall seeing a car that actually stick below 60KPH - a large majority of drivers broke the speed limit. When speed limits are commonly ignored, it leads to lack of respect for speed limits generally. There's an estate in Ferrybank that has a sign limiting speed to 8KPH. I doubt that a single car actually obeys this limit. Rules that nobody obeys serve no purpose.

However, I think that speed limits should be sensible and this one wasn't. It's a good stretch of road with only one exit/entrance between Kingfisher and the Roundabout. It didn't seem to me to be one that needed such a low limit. I rarely recall seeing a car that actually stick below 60KPH - a large majority of drivers broke the speed limit. When speed limits are commonly ignored, it leads to lack of respect for speed limits generally. There's an estate in Ferrybank that has a sign limiting speed to 8KPH. I doubt that a single car actually obeys this limit. Rules that nobody obeys serve no purpose.

Makes a difference if you are a pedestrian hit by a car.
    Now that the limit has been increased to 80kmph, you will find cars doing 90-100kmph there. its just human nature.

Makes a difference if you are a pedestrian hit by a car.
    Now that the limit has been increased to 80kmph, you will find cars doing 90-100kmph there. its just human nature.

What I meant by making no difference was in relation to your point that people travelling faster often don't actually end up saving much time in reality - and I agree with you there.

As for your point about increasing the speed limit to 80 and people will travel at 100, I'm not sure if that's true. For the most part, people obey speed limits but they didn't on that section of the Tramore road as a 60kph limit was probably too low. The Council has recognised this, sensibly in my view.

The end point of your logic(set the limit at 80,drivers will do 100) would be that all speed limits must be reduced - if all speed limits were reduced to, say, 40kph, there would be fewer accidents but I doubt there's much support for that.

What I meant by making no difference was that people travelling faster don't actually end up saving much time in reality - and I agree with you there.

As for your point about increasing the speed limit to 80 and people will travel at 100, I'm not sure if that's true. For the most part, people obey speed limits but they didn't on that section of the Tramore road as a 60kph limit was probably too low. The Council has recognised this, sensibly in my view.

The end point of your logic(set the limit at 80,drivers will do 100) would be that all speed limits must be reduced - if all speed limits were reduced to, say, 40kph, there would be fewer accidents but I doubt there's much support for that.

There are too many runners and cyclists on that road, hopefully nobody will be hurt .

There are too many runners and cyclists on that road, hopefully nobody will be hurt .

We probably disagree on speed limits but I'm sure everyone agrees with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

The speed limit is 50km/h at both of those locations, as it has been for some time. The change is further out the road.

• Advertisement

The speed limit is 50km/h at both of those locations, as it has been for some time. The change is further out the road.

A lot of accidents happen where there is a sudden change in speed limits, speed drop from 80 to 50 is a lot , is there a 60 km transition zone?

A lot of accidents happen where there is a sudden change in speed limits, speed drop from 80 to 50 is a lot , is there a 60 km transition zone?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

If someone is incapable of dropping from 80km/h to 50km/h without causing an accident upon noticing the sign then they shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place.

If someone is incapable of dropping from 80km/h to 50km/h without causing an accident upon noticing the sign then they shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place.

The problem is that people Cath 80 (+)kmh continue at that speed , miss the 50 kmph sign, and suddenly they are doing 80 kmh when a driver who does not see them turns right into Supervalue or Kingfisher

The problem is that people Cath 80 (+)kmh continue at that speed , miss the 50 kmph sign, and suddenly they are doing 80 kmh when a driver who does not see them turns right into Supervalue or Kingfisher

I'd call that natural selection in action chip.

By your logic we should never have any road with a higher speed limit on it, because at some point people will need to reduce their speed, but might not.

I'd call that natural selection in action chip.

By your logic we should never have any road with a higher speed limit on it, because at some point people will need to reduce their speed, but might not.

No, higher speed limits are appropriate where there is safe design. But I don't know if the 30 seconds saved getting to the roundabout is worth the added risk.

No, higher speed limits are appropriate where there is safe design. But I don't know if the 30 seconds saved getting to the roundabout is worth the added risk.

Well the limit on that stretch of road was 60 mph for donkeys years before it was reduced to 60 km/h, do you remember it being an accident black spot, because I don't?

As it stood you had a lot of drivers flouting the 60 km/h speed limit, resulting in a loss of overtaking. Increasing The speed limit to a more realistic level and closer to its historic limit on that stretch, well actually reduce the amount of dangerous overtaking going on and make the road safer if anything.

I think you're just being melodramatic really.

Well the limit on that stretch of road was 60 mph for donkeys years before it was reduced to 60 km/h, do you remember it being an accident black spot, because I don't?

As it stood you had a lot of drivers flouting the 60 km/h speed limit, resulting in a loss of overtaking. Increasing The speed limit to a more realistic level and closer to its historic limit on that stretch, well actually reduce the amount of dangerous overtaking going on and make the road safer if anything.

I think you're just being melodramatic really.

Perhaps I am , I just am concerned that a speed limit change so close to a lot of turning traffic may have consequences, for a 30sec gain to get to the back of the next traffic queue.
    Yes I do remember serious crashes on the Tramore road. Luckily apart from one terrible crash there have been very few over the last ten years in the area as a whole.

Chiparus wrote:

I really don't see how. The 80kmph limit is the new one, not the 50kmph. I'd understand your point if the 50 had recently been dropped from 60 and people carried on at 60 but anyone who drives that road knows the speed drops to 50 before you get to Kingfisher and always has.

• Advertisement

smaoifs wrote: »
    I really don't see how. The 80kmph limit is the new one, not the 50kmph. I'd understand your point if the 50 had recently been dropped from 60 and people carried on at 60 but anyone who drives that road knows the speed drops to 50 before you get to Kingfisher and always has.

Dropping the speed suddenly from 80 to 50 could lead to sudden deceleration , I think there should be a transition zone of 60 kmh like you see on most main roads.

If everyone knows the speed limit is 50 , how come so many are caught speeding?

Advertisement