Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Greatest Showman

• 27-06-2017 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The story of P.T Barnum.

Starring Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, Rebecca Ferguson & Zac Efron.

Teaser for the real trailer which arrives tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Full Trailer,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Full Trailer,

Phineas Taylor "P. T." Barnum (July 5, 1810 – April 7, 1891) was an American politician, showman, and businessman remembered for promoting celebrated hoaxes and for founding the Barnum & Bailey Circus.[1] Although Barnum was also an author, publisher, philanthropist, and for some time a politician, he said of himself, "I am a showman by profession...and all the gilding shall make nothing else of me",[2] and his personal aim was "to put money in his own coffers".[3] Barnum is widely, but erroneously, credited with coining the phrase "There's a sucker born every minute".[4]
    Born in Bethel, Connecticut, Barnum became a small-business owner in his early twenties, and founded a weekly newspaper, before moving to New York City in 1834. He embarked on an entertainment career, first with a variety troupe called "Barnum's Grand Scientific and Musical Theater", and soon after by purchasing Scudder's American Museum, which he renamed after himself. Barnum used the museum as a platform to promote hoaxes and human curiosities such as the Feejee mermaid and General Tom Thumb.[5] In 1850 he promoted the American tour of singer Jenny Lind, paying her an unprecedented $1,000 a night for 150 nights. After economic reversals due to bad investments in the 1850s, and years of litigation and public humiliation, he used a lecture tour, mostly as a temperance speaker, to emerge from debt. His museum added America's first aquarium and expanded the wax-figure department. While in New York, he converted to Universalism and was a member of the Church of the Divine Paternity, now the Fourth Universalist Society in the City of New York.
    Barnum served two terms in the Connecticut legislature in 1865 as a Republican for Fairfield. With the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution over slavery and African-American suffrage, Barnum spoke before the legislature and said, "A human soul, ‘that God has created and Christ died for,’ is not to be trifled with. It may tenant the body of a Chinaman, a Turk, an Arab or a Hottentot – it is still an immortal spirit".[6] Elected in 1875 as Mayor of Bridgeport, Connecticut, he worked to improve the water supply, bring gas lighting to streets, and enforce liquor and prostitution laws. Barnum was instrumental in starting Bridgeport Hospital, founded in 1878, and was its first president.[7]
    The circus business was the source of much of his enduring fame. He established "P. T. Barnum's Grand Traveling Museum, Menagerie, Caravan & Hippodrome", a traveling circus, menagerie and museum of "freaks", which adopted many names over the years. Barnum died in his sleep at home in 1891, and was buried in Mountain Grove Cemetery, Bridgeport, which he designed himself.[8]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Really looking forward to this one for a big screen I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'll really have to see that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A live trailer aired on Fox and Facebook

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Not enamoured by this based on the trailers. Loved Les Mis but was because of the pure heart of the film. This just seems a bit cynical to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How many musicals is this for Jackman now? Only the second? Because it feels like way more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Judging from the trailer, the film has a Moulin Rouge feel to it.

How many musicals is this for Jackman now? Only the second? Because it feels like way more.

It does feel like way more, he has done quite a few on stage but 2 on film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It does feel like way more, he has done quite a few on stage but 2 on film

Are you sure. Sky had a programme on there recently all about him and the musicals he has done. He is interviewed in it too. I did not watch it myself as musicals do not interest me most times but this looks like fun so I might go see it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Are you sure. Sky had a programme on there recently all about him and the musicals he has done. He is interviewed in it too. I did not watch it myself as musicals do not interest me most times but this looks like fun so I might go see it.

I think he was talking about his favourite musical numbers not all ones he was in

I believe he was a big theatre performer in Australia before his "big break" as Wolverine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I saw all the negative reviews, but I think they were way off, I really enjoyed it. Zac Efron really does have some musical talent, haven't seen him in a musical since the last HSM movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw it Stephens day, didnt even know what it was. Mrs Tunguska laughed when straight out of the blocks Wolverine was breaking into song........I'd been tricked into another musical. I was prepared to pull the plug right then and there but gave it a chance. Glad I did because I really enjoyed this. The songs are actually quite good, especially the one Rebecca Ferguson sings(That was chills down the spine moment). Plus aswell they dont sing every line, like what was done in Les miserables, the other musical I had been hoodwinked into seeing(lost the will to live after 10 mins of that).
    Good songs and an uplifting story, I hope it does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I loved it. It's not one to think about too deeply, huge holes in the plot but as a piece of entertainment it's phenomenonal. The spectacle, the music, the mind-blowing choreography, fabulous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

That Zac Efron has the charisma and personality of a plank of wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Not normally a musical kinda guy(my only previous experience with them was the Buffy and Flash musical eps) but this blew me away with the quality of the music and performances. Hugh Jackman was born for this role every bit as much as he was Wolverine. Was expecting one maybe two decent songs but it was literally all killer no filler from the showpiece numbers to the more playful conversational ones. Can't recommend it enough .

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

I’m not into musicals at all and only went to this as I was bringing my godson to the cinema but I must say- I really enjoyed this.
    The songs were all great and the film flew by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Here's some Making-Of bits, including Hugh Jackman hurting himself to present the songs to the studio execs. He'd just had surgery and wasn't supposed to be singing at all, but this has been his passion project for years and he was determined to get it made ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I cannot tell you enough about how good this movie went when I saw it as a late birthday treat in the cinema today. But I will tell you my thoughts in a couple of sentences. It was wonderful, it was incredible, all of the performances in this movie were just world class. This movie was just a beautiful revelation from beginning to end. I had never felt such an amazing impact from a movie like this in years. It simply deserves it's five stars because it's too good to even lose them from people not from it's own fanbase. I cannot wait to get the Blu-ray & soundtrack into my own hands. What a performance! Just outstanding. :):D

Isn't this a beauty? This is from Amazon in Italy. :D

https://i.imgur.com/sZqsYJ0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Saw it almost a month ago and Im still blaring the soundtrack daily on Spotify! Went with little interest with the girlfriend and I was blown away,one of those movies that you just don't want to end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Totally agree with most of the opinions here.
    Saw this at the weekend and thought it was terrific, the songs were terrific and so catchy, really nice surprise.

Not understanding why the critics reviews are so mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

The Greatest Showman - 4/10

Hugh Jackman's immense charm and charisma is not enough to single handedly carry this flimsy musical. For the most part, the musical numbers are very 'Mike Flowers Pops' and despite the impressive choreography, they feel and look very tacky. There is one song midway through, which is sang by the bearded lady character, that is genuinely decent and holds a bit of emotion within. For me, it was the clear stand out in a drab selection of tracks.

The one thing that did catch my eye was the intriguing upcoming star Zendaya's performance. I was introduced to her in Spiderman Homecoming where she was brilliantly understated and snarky. She gets a lot more to do here and really stood out to me. Her piercing eyes cut right through you and I think we will all be seeing a lot more of her in the coming months/years.

After 30 minutes I thought there would be no redeeming features about this film but it does pick up slightly. Ultimately, the story just isn't there and its all very hollow. It's good that this film has found an audience but that audience isn't me.

gmisk wrote: »
    Totally agree with most of the opinions here.
    Saw this at the weekend and thought it was terrific, the songs were terrific and so catchy, really nice surprise.

Not understanding why the critics reviews are so mixed.

I very surprised not more of the songs didn't get an Oscar nominations

Keala Settle is phenomenal

The DVD & Blu-ray of this film has been out in the shops & online since the 14th of May. Just be very careful using the digital copy slip when you buy the Blu-ray of the movie. I had a problem with accessing it on Google Play Movies after I bought the Blu-ray from Tower Records in Dublin last night. I opened the packaging when I got home & I found a digital copy slip to say I had to go to FoxRedeem.com to obtain that copy of the movie. When I entered the code; it told me only to use Google Play to redeem it. I went to Google Play's website which navigated to the movie & extras. That is where I discovered there was a major problem. When I tried to play The Greatest Showman & one of it's extras through the website or through it's Chrome Web store app on at least four occasions; it went through the Windows computer's blue screen of death & restarted over and over again. When I encountered this at first I was really confused. I thought that this movie with all the extras would work fine. It was my first ever movie that was redeemed & played through Google Play in my lifetime. This recurring problem also meant that when I had tried to play the movie from my numerous subsequent attempts to play it; this task of getting the Digital copy to work from one provider was a total failure.

I even read reviews from the Chrome Web store about the Google Play Movies & TV app tonight. Some of those reviews which were 5 star reviews were really positive about the experience. But most people's reviews said that they had encountered similar numerous issues with this app when they tried to play their stuff through no fault of their own. All of it's issues they say belonged to Google. It's an utter joke that Google of all people have to continue with not providing critical support to this app when people need it to play their collection offline. Some of these people were looking to play the app from a flight they had booked on a plane & what they got in return from Google after going through all that effort amounted to nothing.

One thing is for sure though; I'm glad I bought the Blu-ray of this movie so I watch at home in peace on my TV & Blu-ray player and don't ever need to face the prospect of being interrupted with that lack of support crap from the internet.

It really is a strange one though to be honest. When I downloaded the Play Music app last month from the same place where I installed the Play Movies & TV app; the music app works perfectly fine in my Chrome browser with no issues whatsoever when I play my small purchased mp3 collection.

I even tried to play the movie through Youtube Movies via the Chrome & Edge Browsers as well to see if it still worked. Nothing happened. The same thing with the blue screen happened yet again. This movie app from GP is a f**king recurring nightmare. I did install the new Spring Creators Update to Windows 10 last weekend. That might be a probable cause in not allowing GPM's app not to play my digital movie by allowing it to crash my laptop. It's may not be my chrome browser causing the issue because that is currently up to date.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

The DVD & Blu-ray of this film has been out in the shops & online since the 14th of May. Just be very careful using the digital copy slip when you buy the Blu-ray of the movie. I had a problem with accessing it on Google Play Movies after I bought the Blu-ray from Tower Records in Dublin last night. I opened the packaging when I got home & I found a digital copy slip to say I had to go to FoxRedeem.com to obtain that copy of the movie. When I entered the code; it told me only to use Google Play to redeem it. I went to Google Play's website which navigated to the movie & extras. That is where I discovered there was a major problem. When I tried to play The Greatest Showman & one of it's extras through the website or through it's Chrome Web store app on at least four occasions; it went through the Windows computer's blue screen of death & restarted over and over again. When I encountered this at first I was really confused. I thought that this movie with all the extras would work fine. It was my first ever movie that was redeemed & played through Google Play in my lifetime. This recurring problem also meant that when I had tried to play the movie from my numerous subsequent attempts to play it; this task of getting the Digital copy to work from one provider was a total failure.

I even read reviews from the Chrome Web store about the Google Play Movies & TV app tonight. Some of those reviews which were 5 star reviews were really positive about the experience. But most people's reviews said that they had encountered similar numerous issues with this app when they tried to play their stuff through no fault of their own. All of it's issues they say belonged to Google. It's an utter joke that Google of all people have to continue with not providing critical support to this app when people need it to play their collection offline. Some of these people were looking to play the app from a flight they had booked on a plane & what they got in return from Google after going through all that effort amounted to nothing.

One thing is for sure though; I'm glad I bought the Blu-ray of this movie so I watch at home in peace on my TV & Blu-ray player and don't ever need to face the prospect of being interrupted with that lack of support crap from the internet.

It really is a strange one though to be honest. When I downloaded the Play Music app last month from the same place where I installed the Play Movies & TV app; the music app works perfectly fine in my Chrome browser with no issues whatsoever when I play my small purchased mp3 collection.

I even tried to play the movie through Youtube Movies via the Chrome & Edge Browsers as well to see if it still worked. Nothing happened. The same thing with the blue screen happened yet again. This movie app from GP is a f**king recurring nightmare. I did install the new Spring Creators Update to Windows 10 last weekend. That might be a probable cause in not allowing GPM's app not to play my digital movie by allowing it to crash my laptop. It's may not be my chrome browser causing the issue because that is currently up to date.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

This is more likely an issue with your system than anything else, best thing to do is run a DxDiag and see what errors are listed as it is most likely something small enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,611 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

That soundtrack is @ucking brilliant !

weemcd wrote: »
    That Zac Efron has the charisma and personality of a plank of wood.
    also the tan of a plank of wood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I had to endure this with my nieces and nephews at the weekend. Disregarding the only element of fun being watching them get excited for certain songs, or singing along, it's a steaming pile of crap. The songs are auto-tuned and over produced that I find them excruciating to listen to.

While Hugh Jackman may come from musical background, and he can technically sing, I can't stand his singing voice. The film is like an adaption of a season of TV, where it just rushes through all the big plot points and doesn't care to go any deeper.

That was fine by me as it's 1hr 40mins running time was already too long.

Hopefully I'll never have to endure this monstrosity again.

• Advertisement

I had to endure this with my nieces and nephews at the weekend. Disregarding the only element of fun being watching them get excited for certain songs, or singing along, it's a steaming pile of crap. The songs are auto-tuned and over produced that I find them excruciating to listen to.

While Hugh Jackman may come from musical background, and he can technically sing, I can't stand his singing voice. The film is like an adaption of a season of TV, where it just rushes through all the big plot points and doesn't care to go any deeper.

Are you the "fun" uncle? :D

Do you like musicals in general?

I thought it was really good personally, there wasnt much of a story but the songs were terrific (as was hugh jackman) and it won me over by the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Are you the "fun" uncle? :D
    Totally \O/
    Do you like musicals in general?
    Yes but, no different than any other film I watch, it has to be good for me to enjoy. I really like Moulin Rouge for example.
    I thought it was really good personally, there wasnt much of a story but the songs were terrific (as was hugh jackman) and it won me over by the end.

The songs aren't terrible, but I can't like them because of how over-produced they are. I won't knock anyone else's enjoyment of it. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

cjmc wrote: »
    That soundtrack is @ucking brilliant !

It is getting "Reimagined"

http://www.vulture.com/2018/10/the-greatest-showman-soundtrack-covers-album.html

The Greatest Show – Panic! at the Disco

A Million Dreams – Pink

A Million Dreams (Reprise) – Willow Sage Hart

Come Alive – Years & Years and Jess Glynne

The Other Side – MAX and Ty Dolla $ign

Never Enough – Kelly Clarkson

This Is Me (The Reimagined Remix) – Keala Settle, Kesha and Missy Elliott

Rewrite The Stars – James Arthur and Anne-Marie

Tightrope – Sara Bareilles

From Now On – Zac Brown Band

Bonus tracks:

The Greatest Show – Pentatonix

Come Alive – Craig David

This Is Me – Kesha

Rewrite The Stars (Acoustic) – Zendaya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I do not like musicals but I went to see this in the cinema and really enjoyed it. I would happily go watch it in the cinema again. Have no idea what it would be like on a small screen do but maybe not as good as it was i n the cinema with proper surround sound.

I only ever went one other musical in the cinema before and it was terrible. I can't even remember the name of nor do I want too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Bumping an old one but I got to witness Keala Settle perform This Is Me last night and sweet jesus she is unbelievable. I really hope Hugh Jackman brings his show to Abu Dhabi when he does the tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have to admit, I watched this maybe a month or two back and never commented on it. I watched it as a dad with his young daughter.

I expected to hate it, but I must say I really enjoyed it. And a great soundtrack which I now don't mind listening to in the house and in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have to admit, I watched this maybe a month or two back and never commented on it. I watched it as a dad with his young daughter.

I expected to hate it, but I must say I really enjoyed it. And a great soundtrack which I now don't mind listening to in the house and in the car.

Ditto.
    Usually hate musicals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,611 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have the cd in the car, whats the reworked version like ? How is it different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

cjmc wrote: »
    I have the cd in the car, whats the reworked version like ? How is it different

not as good IMO as the original

Advertisement