Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deterring fox from garden....

Options
  • 27-06-2017 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

We have two young foxes that seem to be calling our garden home. At first I thought they were cute - watching them playing on the grass etc (I thought they were nocturnal!) - but now they are getting too comfortable for my liking and I'd like to deter them away from my garden.

This evening they were playing with bulbs they dug up from my raised bed so not impressed - and when I scooted them away they just ran to the back wall and were back again when my back was turned!

It's a typical Dublin city garden. We have never fed them and bins not kept nearby. So no source of food. Have searched and can't find a den anywhere.

I don't want to harm them in any way.

As far as I can see fox deterrent pellets or those sonic sound things seem to be my only options - and I'm not mad on either.

Anyone tried anything else that worked? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

A neighbour claims she was advised to scatter human hair around her garden. She got a sack from the local hairdresser and claimed it worked. Two things about that - she's a little eccentric so I can't claim that's foolproof advice, and second, that idea may not be palatable...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

They are the offspring of this year's breeding... Young cubs becoming adolescent. Very visible at this time of year.
    By August they will be almost grown-up and will scatter to find new turf.

It's actually almost impossible to deter foxes from an area... There are probably many more in the area than you suspect! Owing to their nocturnal habits.

A large dog loose in the garden is about the best discouragement, but may not be practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Monaou2

Thanks for your comments folks.

That Guardian article is kinda scary re how much of a pest they can become.

Thanks for the suggestion re hair - but that's just a bit yuck!

Looks like best option is to wait it out and fingers crossed they'll head off to finer pastures so by the end of summer.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

A neighbour claims she was advised to scatter human hair around her garden. She got a sack from the local hairdresser and claimed it worked. Two things about that - she's a little eccentric so I can't claim that's foolproof advice, and second,  that idea may not be palatable...
    No it's not a eccentric idea. It has been proved to work, although I can't speak from personal experience. It seems to be something to do with marking territory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Dog hair is a lot better than human hair. Maybe try a dog grooming salon if you don't have your own shaggy dog.
    They might think you are barking mad though.

I'll get me coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

A neighbour claims she was advised to scatter human hair around her garden

This will 100% definitely get rid of them. Hair today, gone tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

This will 100% definitely get rid of them. Hair today, gone tomorrow!

I can't say if it works or not, cos I'm not a sheep farmer..... But.... A neighbour of mine keeps sheep and every spring he puts out woman's tights stuffed with a ball of hair. He says it works.
    I think the local gun club have more to do with it :-)

Ha, sure if it works then great in fairness. I like foxes personally, I think they get a harsh deal. I'd be worried about what sort of local lads the tights might attract though
    Depends what sort of hair goes in them I suppose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Lion dung. Ask the Zoo but they are reluctant to give it away because of the risk of disease.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Lion dung should also be great for keeping stray cats off your property.
    And hyenas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

recedite wrote: »
    Lion dung should also be great for keeping stray cats off your property.
    And hyenas.

At last, I can banish those blasted hyenas. It was nice to see them jumping around, to see them eating neighbours cats and dogs etc. but now they're bigger they're starting to mess with my hanging baskets so they have to go.

The view out my kitchen window -

r-1447344782-KilimanjaroSafarisSpottedHyenas2.jpg

You really need to get your lawnmower looked at Vevex. Awful uneven cut.

Advertisement