Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid year is approaching, how are we doing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

3699km so far this year, though I kind of feel this season started in November! First year racing this year and have been really happy with how it's gone so far. Had a bad crash racing which set me back a bit but feel like I'm coming back into form now and hope to do a bit of damage in A4 races this July! The goal is to get upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

3100km with 31000m climbing. Well on target for 5k for the year and should start ramping up the elevation a bit more now.
    Quite pleased with my cycling in general. I'm feeling stronger, climbing better and surviving longer spins so all in all it's a good year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Grand, wanted to do the Mizen to Malin in one go and did it in 29hrs by myself last week.

Take the rest of the year off

vZWKJ7j.png

That's 2 weeks cycling for me all in one go.
    Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

I set 2 goals this year; 7300 km and average 2 commutes to work each week. So far I'm on track; 4200 km and 50 commutes. Best of luck to all chasing personal targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm 948klm off pace at the moment... need to get out for a few longer rides to get back on target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Gonna summarize my year so far, which is pretty much all the cycling I've done since cycling to/from school 20 years ago.

In January triggered by a friend convincing 6 of us to do a 20km charity cycle I decided it was time to get myself a bit fitter.
    I hadn't moved from in front of a computer for 15 years (slight exaggeration), was almost exactly 100kg(177cm) and have smoked for 20 years.

In addition to the 20KM charity cycle(which I never finished due to punctures...yes 2), I set myself the target of doing 2017km in the year. A few weeks ago it became obvious I was going
    to overshoot that target so I've changed the 2017 to miles(3246km) to keep things interesting.

I've set myself other secondary targets and had a few milestones over the 6 months, here is how its going

In January I started out by finding a 12km loop from my house and cycled it as hard as I could, I wasn't trying to pace myself,
    the first three times on the same loop, I averaged about 19km/h and had to stop twice for a bit of a breather(thank god for auto pause). But the 4th time I got around without stopping, I decided to keep doing this loop until I could leave the house and be back in under 30 minutes. Between Jan and April I cycled this route 15 times (along with other cycles usually around 30 - 40km) before finally hitting the 30 minutes target
    https://www.strava.com/activities/949372818

I had bought a hybryd in Halfords in january, but once it became clear I wanted to cycle longer distances I had to get a road bike, spending money on second bike in a few months was a decision I laboured over for weeks. But eventually got a 2016 defy 1 online from the UK. Worked out at 770E delivered which I thought was reasonable for a mostly 105 groupset. In the end, I'm glad I decided to change bike, I doubt I'd have done as much on the hybrid.

I then needed a new target so I picked 23 segments on strava(mixture of flats and climbs) and decided I was going to get into the top 50% on each of them, I've managed this on 8 of them so far and I mightn't get them all by the end of the year but I'll keep trying, 3 climbs in particular have proven difficult
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1029564359
    Others I hopefully just have to get to

I've joined a local cycling club, now I'm usually going out about twice a week with them

In May I did my first 100KM cycle, it was a 50km that I cycled to and from but I'm counting it as 100 ;-), it was mainly flat but was a hard windy and wet day.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/998696613

I did a few other organised charity sportive type cycles but the longest and with the most climbing was the OX mountain 4 passes sportive. The first half of this had a bitch of a climb, I was very close to getting off the bike and walking but I just about managed it. I averaged the first 60km in about 25km/h, but the second half the person I was cycling with was zapped of energy so we plodded along for a 20km/h average. I'll have to do it again to see how long I can keep up my pace for. I hope to do the Tour De Achill 100km in September which should be a similar effort I think.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1042930814

I'v plenty more to do this year, I've my distance target to meet and should be able to knock some more segments off my list
    but I'm already trying to think of my targets for next year, there is a good chance I'll at least try one of the events in Wicklow that people here are always talking about ;-)
    and I also really want to try Truskmore but that will wait until I'm happy I'll be able to make it all the way to the top without stopping, which isn't going to happen any time soon.

I don't have any weight target but I figure I'll just get lighter if I keep cycling. And have only smoked while out for a few drinks but need to stop that next.

Distance 1,402.8 km
    Elev Gain 10,693 m
    Weight loss 8kg

Over the last 6 months I've watched my cycling improve, I know that will eventually plateau but right now I'm enjoying it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^
    Great going. keep 'er lit

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

1150 km
    11000 m

I didn't have any goal for the year, but had to get my appendix out in March which set me back a bit on all fronts.

This thread has me considering setting a goal....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

My YTD:

From http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/annualSummary.php):
    421008.JPG

From the same site: Charts -> Cumulative Annual Distance:

421013.JPG

Or the more visual Veloviewer (https://veloviewer.com/infographic)

421012.JPG

Happy enough with these- it's better than previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

6380km
    87707m elevation (more than in the whole 2016)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

1023km. Only getting going again properly now that some normality has returned to the house as the kids are growing up. Had prety much two years with next to no cycling. I did win my first race in about four years tonight though so the future is bright!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    1023km. Only getting going again properly now that some normality has returned to the house as the kids are growing up. Had prety much two years with next to no cycling. I did win my first race in about four years tonight though so the future is bright!

I see an upgrade for you to Semi-limit in the near future! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Takca wrote: »

Distance 1,402.8 km
    Elev Gain 10,693 m
    Weight loss 8kg

Didn't want to quote the whole post but that's really great stuff and especially for 1,400km of cycling. You've fit a lot in. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, it took me almost exactly six months, but i've completed my everest for this year. not exactly a boast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

2460kms with 36,100m climbed.
    I've a love/hate relationship with the Strava climbing challenges the last few months, need another 1000m by Friday for the June one because I slacked off last weekend with a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Absolutely terrible. I've probably watched more cycling then time on the bike so far. Was going ok at start of year getting few short spins in but then stopped. Last spin was in mid May. So far 18 rides, 318km, 14 hour 40 mins and put weight on. I'm scared to get on the scales to even check. I needed to loose 2-3 stone start of this year, reckon Id now need to loose 4-5 stone

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

3726km 18,600m and 158 hours, I've being out of the country for about 8 weeks of the year so far with work. So I'm down two months and we moved office stvthe start if the year an I had to drive a number of days. Currently commuting 300km a week so should manage 1200 km a minute for the next 6

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

not much, commuting 20Km each day, with about 200m of climbing.

finished my masters now so will be out a bit on longer spins

2600km, 4.5km of climing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ted1 wrote: »
    .... so should manage 1200 km a minute...
    What sort of afterburners are you using? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paddy The Pirate

I'm quite happy I have to say, I've finally made it back onto the Mountain Bike again in the last month, been heading out twice a week to Ticknock.

Had a nasty spill last May that landed me with a shattered wrist and equally smashed confidence.

Been building it back up and I'm loving it again! The weather we had wasn't a bad helper either. I'd forgotten how great it feels to just get out in the mountains, and even though the kilometres are low, the climbs are doing wonders for my fitness.

Trying to get out on the road bike once a week as well. Don't think my 2km commute each way quite counts towards that !

Along with hitting the gym I've managed to lose myself 7kgs or so. Feeling the best I have since before the crash, and finally feel like I'm not letting it hold me back anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

3149km w. 31,486m climbed including my first 200 (The WW200 in which I performed poorly but finished) and a mainstay of early morning pre-work spins 2-3 times per week.

Unfortunately I've fallen behind since a demoralizing incident involving a bad buckle and having to carry the bike on my shoulder in search of a friendly farmhouse to call the broom wagon on one of my pre WW200 spins.

Off to Spain later in the year for a fortnight and have a carbon fibre Bianchi booked so really need to work on the climbing again...sadly weight loss has not been a thing and I remain Fatbag McCrapbag thanks to stress eating sweets every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Eamonnator wrote: »
    7,500 kms and 49,000metres climbing, av. speed 28.3kph.
    Av. speed well up.
    year going really well. delighted

edit.
    I should add, that it's relatively easy for me to get the miles in. I'm retired, so nothing to stop me getting out.

That's an impressive avg for anybody but exceptional for a retiree – unless you are a lotto induced retiree. If so, it's just impressive!

Advertisement