Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I think Mourinho should be given time and money before we say he's not good enough. Doesn't matter who you pick as manager, someone's always gonna be unhappy.

Of course we need a striker and now. If we don't sign one because of fear of getting it wrong, that would just be crazy and unprofessional.

Giving Mourinho time has never worked. Since he left Porto he has repeatedly followed a very clear pattern. He arrives, he spends like it’s going out of fashion, he quickly wins trophies, things go rapidly downhill, and he exits stage left.

Except at United it didn’t really work. He won some minor trophies but never got close to major ones. His tactics looked outdated, he seemed even more irritable and less charming than before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Ormus wrote: »
    Giving Mourinho time has never worked. Since he left Porto he has repeatedly followed a very clear pattern. He arrives, he spends like it’s going out of fashion, he quickly wins trophies, things go rapidly downhill, and he exits stage left.

Except at United it didn’t really work. He won some minor trophies but never got close to major ones. His tactics looked outdated, he seemed even more irritable and less charming than before.

Is winning the Europa league a minor trophy? It also awards a place in CL. Nobody is saying Mourinho guarantees success but his record is very good. Yes he's had bad stints but overall I think his record is better than most. Why not give him a chance until if/when he fails?

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Is winning the Europa league a minor trophy? It also awards a place in CL. Nobody is saying Mourinho guarantees success but his record is very good. Yes he's had bad stints but overall I think his record is better than most. Why not give him a chance until if/when he fails?

Europa League is debatable. It’s basically awarded to the best second rate European team. Winning it is definitely less of an achievement than getting to the final of the Champions League.

Mourinho has had amazing success but only with blank checkbooks. I’m not knocking him completely, he was a genius in his time, but I’m convinced that time has gone even if we did give him that kind of money, which we won’t. And I started supporting Spurs because they were entertaining and played great football.

If I wanted defensive football and trophies I would’ve chosen George Graham’s Arsenal. That’s why I don’t want to give José a chance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Kiith wrote: »

Tanganga, crikey, wtf is Jose at? If he’s that good why has he never played him in the league before? Seems like an unnecessary and unfair baptism of fire against the best team in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Europa League is debatable. It’s basically awarded to the best second rate European team. Winning it is definitely less of an achievement than getting to the final of the Champions League.

Mourinho has had amazing success but only with blank checkbooks. I’m not knocking him completely, he was a genius in his time, but I’m convinced that time has gone even if we did give him that kind of money, which we won’t. And I started supporting Spurs because they were entertaining and played great football.

If I wanted defensive football and trophies I would’ve chosen George Graham’s Arsenal. That’s why I don’t want to give José a chance.

"That’s why I don’t want to give José a chance."

That's shocking imo.
    He is the manager of our football team.
    He is one of the most successful managers in football.
    If you win the Europa League your clubs name goes on the cup.
    If you come second in a cl final, what do you win again?
    It was amazing we got there but it's not like it's silverware.
    Give jose a bloody chance FFS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Cant see anything except a hiding from Liverpool. Do miracles still happen???

tom1ie wrote: »
    "That’s why I don’t want to give José a chance."

That's shocking imo.
    He is the manager of our football team.
    He is one of the most successful managers in football.
    If you win the Europa League your clubs name goes on the cup.
    If you come second in a cl final, what do you win again?
    It was amazing we got there but it's not like it's silverware.
    Give jose a bloody chance FFS!!

Why? Do you think there’s a chance he’s gonna get us playing good attacking football? I’ll say it again, if trophies were all that mattered to me, I’d have supported Arsenal.

I don’t think he’ll be successful, but even if he is I’ll want him out.

I'm all for giving Tanganga a chance but not against this Liverpool....

I'm all for giving Tanganga a chance but not against this Liverpool....

I don’t see the logic. He obviously feels he needs pace, but surely give the kid a couple of at least sub appearances in the league before throwing him in like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

I don’t see the logic. He obviously feels he needs pace, but surely give the kid a couple of at least sub appearances in the league before throwing him in like this.

Throw him in at the deep end and see how well he can swim. Seems extremely risky, but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Who better to debut against than pool, if you can’t raise game against them then forget it

My concern is fcuking “rose”

Who better to debut against than pool, if you can’t raise game against them then forget it

My concern is fcuking “rose”

Ha so if he can’t play well against the best team in Europe he should forget it?

It’s best for a player’s confidence to not get destroyed on his debut.

Still, maybe he’ll do well, stranger things have happened. Keep a clean sheet tonight and he might be in the next England squad. I think he’s barely even played for the U21s

15 years time, Tanganga playing for Aldershot "Where did it all go wrong? That game against Pool".

brilliant start- showing early on that the majority of our defenders arent bothered about defending

Why? Do you think there’s a chance he’s gonna get us playing good attacking football? I’ll say it again, if trophies were all that mattered to me, I’d have supported Arsenal.

I don’t think he’ll be successful, but even if he is I’ll want him out.

You'd want a successful manager sacked?

i often wonder why our centre halves dont just....mark the opposition forwards.

does anyone else ever wonder this?

other teams do it, it seems to work quite well.

Ha so if he can’t play well against the best team in Europe he should forget it?

It’s best for a player’s confidence to not get destroyed on his debut.

Still, maybe he’ll do well, stranger things have happened. Keep a clean sheet tonight and he might be in the next England squad. I think he’s barely even played for the U21s

No ormus what I am saying is you have to debut somewhere, if the kid is good enough he will be fine, no one is expecting man of the match just show a bit of heart and fight, his natural ability will shine tru, cause it’s pool no one is expecting anything , if it was aldershot he was playing against then funny enough there be more pressure on him

eriksen already just kicking it away from himself rather than picking a pass

• Advertisement

Bloody eriksen FFS!

carelessness, riskiness, fecklessness

how can a manager tolerate this as a tactic from the back.

tom1ie wrote: »
    You'd want a successful manager sacked?

I think I’ve been pretty clear Tom, can’t explain it any better

No ormus what I am saying is you have to debut somewhere, if the kid is good enough he will be fine, no one is expecting man of the match just show a bit of heart and fight, his natural ability will shine tru, cause it’s pool no one is expecting anything , if it was aldershot he was playing against then funny enough there be more pressure on him

He would not be under more pressure against Aldershot

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Sitting back inviting them on. Back 5 and no closing down around the centre circle.

i often wonder why our centre halves dont just....mark the opposition forwards.

does anyone else ever wonder this?

other teams do it, it seems to work quite well.

Aurier is gas, Robertson gets the ball in acres of space and Aurier just gazes admiringly at him

• Advertisement

I think I’ve been pretty clear Tom, can’t explain it any better

Fair enough. That's crazy in my opinion but each to his own.
    Anyway COYS!

He would not be under more pressure against Aldershot

No Not from an ability perspective
    To perform he would as he would be expected to play well

Kid doing well so far

this isnt going to work with son and eriksen jogging around ignoring tackles

No Not from an ability perspective
    To perform he would as he would be expected to play well

Kid doing well so far

Yeah so far so good. We’re sitting so deep though that Vertonghen’s lack of pace wouldn’t be so exposed

three unmarked at back post there and we should be two down

• Advertisement

this isnt awful but we are so uncomposed when it matters on the ball when the break comes

three unmarked at back post there and we should be two down

The bus is parked but there are holes in it

three chances to clear that in five seconds and nope not a bit of interest

is that alli that allows that throwin to go over his head and the wrong side of his marker?

get him out.

this one is going off at half time

its not about "attacking" or not. i dont really remember the poch regime as an attacking one- possession, yes, but rarely swashbuckling stuff.

it's about competence, effort, a bit of pride, and i dont see that in rose, eriksen, alli, aurier, and a few others are hiding when it suits.

constantly choosing silly options, missing fifty-fifties and second to deflections and the like.

you can see it a mile off, these players arent going to do anything for any manager if it doesnt suit them.

Eriksen and Ali are making me sick jogging around the pitch like it's a fcuking training match.

Henderson must be walking a tightrope now. We need to be inviting tackles from him.

wait, wait a second

is harry winks.....*playing*?

jesus christ, literally not a single moment from the first half from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Harry Winks is Tom Carroll v2.0

Bang average player, said this 18 months ago and when I mentioned it at the start of the season, half a dozen posters told me I was deluded .

Bang average player, said this 18 months ago and when I mentioned it at the start of the season, half a dozen posters told me I was deluded .

hes a fine option against teams we can pivot and drive against, but i dont see any role for him in a jose team whatsoever im afraid

• Advertisement

Well said. I don't rate him. He's certainly not a player you can build your team around, and cm is a position you want influential players.

Ah he’s had some good games against big teams, thought he was our best player in the final against Pool. But yeah he hasn’t been great this season. Mourinho wouldn’t look twice at him if everyone was fit.

Should've been a Yellow for Robertson there

We’re still in this game. Pool have been flat this half so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Eriksens performance was a complete disgrace. Clearly does not want to be at the club and couldn't give a **** either way.

Oh Giovani

Great ball Serge

I think sons gonna score.

Lamela has been good. He drives me crazy sometimes but he’s always up for it.

much much better second half but those misses were criminal

and why start with the dross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Should of nicked a point there. Just happy we did not get annihilated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement