Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Kane has definitely shown that money isn’t the be all and end all for him, and I’m sure there are plenty others who’d be willing to take a cut, maybe most of them. But they probably feel it would be wrong to break ranks and do it unilaterally before the union have had a chance to work out the finer details. Hopefully it’s just a matter of time cos they’re starting to look very bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

You get the feeling that Son would give all his money away. He just comes across so nice (albeit with a bit of a temper/red mist) when playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I see Son is off to Korea to do his national service for a month. Was meant to be during the summer but has been brought forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭golfball37

Hardly surprising the lack of leadership shown by the players on this issue. They’ve gone missing where it counts for a long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

golfball37 wrote: »
    Hardly surprising the lack of leadership shown by the players on this issue. They’ve gone missing where it counts for a long time now.

A bit unfair to single out the Tottenham players. If players from each club do their its own thing, it will be chaotic. I think an across the board approach is needed.

But I agree that the players should be taking a cut in pay. And I also think that this should be a (much) bigger cut than that suffered by the non playing staff. They can afford it a lot better. And Levy and Mourinho should be taking the biggest cut of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

the longer this COVID-19 thing goes on the more likely the season will be 're-set' and we start over again in August
    presumably that would keep us in the CL next season and there would be no winners or losers this season ( sorry LFC ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Worztron

The silence of the players is deafening.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

2 days before the most recent pay cut announcement for non playing staff Levy received a 3m pound bonus for the completion of the stadium all be it too took 13 years (about 7 more then originally forecasted) and 7 month behind schedule.

I think that would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

Worztron wrote: »
    The silence of the players is deafening.

https://talksport.com/football/692768/premier-league-stars-jordan-henderson-harry-kane-harry-maguire-nhs-fund/

It took a while, but they have done it.
    I wonder why the SJW's aren't clambering for Golfers, and F1 drivers horse trainers, to donate some of their (massive) wages ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Charliebull

greenspurs wrote: »

Daily mail , enough said
    I always thought Berbatov was a well educated player, but I suppose if you get enough money you will say anything
    Similar let me see
    Utd are a far worse team and club than the one Berbatov joined,
    Spurs are a far better team and club than the one he left,

We will prob get one more season with Kane to win something otherwise we are going to lose him

What the fcuk where Jose and the players thinking of yesterday. Another PR disaster.

Levy must be very worried about the stadium naming rights. After holding out for so long, the offers on the table when things start to get back to normal will be a fraction of what they were. The likes of Nike won't be throwing around tens or hundreds of millions.

... All this bodes very poorly for the team ultimately. Less sponsorship to levy against stadium debt means less money avaible for transfers and wages. I could see Kane been sold if we got an offer to good to refuse from city, United or the big 2 in Spain.

Daily mail , enough said
    I always thought Berbatov was a well educated player, but I suppose if you get enough money you will say anything
    Similar let me see

We will prob get one more season with Kane to win something otherwise we are going to lose him

Absolutley.

As with Bale, Modric, even Berbatov…. If you don't win things , they wont stay !

Its the mentality of the owners that is ruining our club.
    But shur, you have those that think winning isn't everything...….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Levy must be very worried about the stadium naming rights. After holding out for so long, the offers on the table when things start to get back to normal will be a fraction of what they were. The likes of Nike won't be throwing around tens or hundreds of millions.

... All this bodes very poorly for the team ultimately. Less sponsorship to levy against stadium debt means less money avaible for transfers and wages. I could see Kane been sold if we got an offer to good to refuse from city, United or the big 2 in Spain.

They have fcuked up big style with the naming rights if they were holding out for a better offer. World will be a different place money wise for a while when Covid 19 settles down.

• Advertisement

He doesn’t say anything bad if you read the quote and disregard the headline

Glebee wrote: »
    They have fcuked up big style with the naming rights if they were holding out for a better offer. World will be a different place money wise for a while when Covid 19 settles down.

He should have foreseen this? Lol

Daily mail , enough said
    Similar let me see

Possibly. You never know with Real or United, but I woulda thought they’d both be gunning for the likes of Haaland moreso than an injury prone 28 year old who’ll cos them 150m

Ormus wrote: »
    He should have foreseen this? Lol

Not saying he sould have forseen, but if he was holding out for more its a pity. It sure the offers were mega bucks after CL final appearance.

Glebee wrote: »
    Not saying he sould have forseen, but if he was holding out for more its a pity. It sure the offers were mega bucks after CL final appearance.

Yeah it is a pity. It’s odd that the naming rights weren’t sold sooner, I wonder what the logic was.

• Advertisement

I hate stadiums names being bought though, it’s depressing

What the fcuk where Jose and the players thinking of yesterday. Another PR disaster.

Yeah very unwise. I kinda like the thought of Jose doing private training sessions with Ndombele though. In my head I’m hoping he rang Jose and said listen you’re right, I’ve been slacking off, but I wanna work like a dog and come back fitter and stronger than ever. He’d be up there with Moussa Dembele is he applied himself.

I hate stadiums names being bought though, it’s depressing

Since the naming rights are not sold id love if they just called it White Hart Lane.. i know i still do and probally always will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Yeah very unwise. I kinda like the thought of Jose doing private training sessions with Ndombele though. In my head I’m hoping he rang Jose and said listen you’re right, I’ve been slacking off, but I wanna work like a dog and come back fitter and stronger than ever. He’d be up there with Moussa Dembele is he applied himself.

Was thinking the same myself. It could be the start of a Ndombele proving himself to Jose.

What I hoped too, maybe he will rip the premier league apart next year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Worztron

https://talksport.com/football/692768/premier-league-stars-jordan-henderson-harry-kane-harry-maguire-nhs-fund/

It took a while, but they have done it.
    I wonder why the SJW's aren't clambering for Golfers, and F1 drivers horse trainers, to donate some of their (massive) wages ?

You're surprised why non-soccer sportspeople aren't called out on a soccer thread? Who do you refer to as being SJW's? Also - why put the word, massive, in brackets? I don't think those calling out soccer players who're getting paid obscene wages and aren't even playing soccer, to contribute something, are necessarily SJW's.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

now lets put the cat among the pigeons

if we got 200m for kane and signed 2 100m forwards

good or bad thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭abff

What did they do?

abff wrote:
    What did they do?

Jose, organised an impromptu training session for Ndombele, sessengnon and Sanchez at some public park in Barnet. All 4 of them openly training together, defying government orders on group meetings and social distancing.

now lets put the cat among the pigeons

if we got 200m for kane and signed 2 100m forwards

good or bad thing?

Depends on the quality of the replacements,
    I would say no currently but if Kane gets another injury which rules him out for a lengthy period then maybe
    If we lost Kane then the only striker that could replace him in my eyes is hallaand who has a 80 million buy out BTW , but would never join spurs in a million years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Depends on the quality of the replacements,
    I would say no currently but if Kane gets another injury which rules him out for a lengthy period then maybe
    If we lost Kane then the only striker that could replace him in my eyes is hallaand who has a 80 million buy out BTW , but would never join spurs in a million years

Other good potential ones that could well be on the move are Icardi (I'm forever wary of him and his drama, but things seem to have calmed down in that respect since he got out of Italy), Aubamayang - of course there's the Arsenal issue, but we've seen that divide crossed before, and Cavani still has a lot to offer on a shorter term deal I think - available on a free for next season. Another would be Ousmane Dembele, though you'd really like to see him return to playing again before taking that risk... coming back from a very nasty injury.

Worztron wrote: »
    You're surprised why non-soccer sportspeople aren't called out on a soccer thread? Who do you refer to as being SJW's? Also - why put the word, massive, in brackets? I don't think those calling out soccer players who're getting paid obscene wages and aren't even playing soccer, to contribute something, are necessarily SJW's.

no.
    I meant in general.
    It seems that the general public and most media, tend to pressure the footballers, but no mention of F1 drivers or golfers etc.

SJWs - jump on bandwagons, scream and shout on 'platforms'

Massive - because it tends to be people have different opinions on the wages, my opinion is that they are MASSIVE. -

It was just an observation....

my theory on that is, as always, based on the presumption that there's underlying systems telling people where to pay attention.

these public campaigns almost always originate in the media, be that radio, print, online

the media are run, in the main, by powerful right wing interests- old wealth.

they have a massive interest in pointing public attention in a time of public financial hardship at new money cash

new money because these young, lower class people shouldnt even have money.

cash because god forbid anyone ever looks at taxing wealth for the public good. and cash is for poor people.

add in that the other noisiest half of the media is obviously more lefty, and they tend to not like rich male sports stars, tend not to believe that footballers (or anyone) should get huge salaries, tend to be fairly open about pressuring people who do well from the working class to "help the cause" or else suffer the shaming and tend to want everyone rich taxed to the nines

im not jumping in to judge either set of tendencies, but i think its an argument that shows why footballers in particular are an easy target from both sides of the powers that determine the discourse

next week, ill be discussing the systemic argument against inverted wingers, thanks for listening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Do yee remember the good old days? When we used discuss how sh1te Spurs were. They were the days!

Nothing to discuss anymore:(

right so, here's an argument:

the approach taken to the full back position at spurs has been a problem since we decided that defending and positioning were optional extras in that position, ie since we sold the excellent Corluka and replaced him with Kyle Walker.

People will (correctly) point out that we have achieved excellent success since then, but I still reckon we could get a few days argument out of it

right so, here's an argument:

the approach taken to the full back position at spurs has been a problem since we decided that defending and positioning were optional extras in that position, ie since we sold the excellent Corluka and replaced him with Kyle Walker.

People will (correctly) point out that we have achieved excellent success since then, but I still reckon we could get a few days argument out of it

I stopped reading when I read "excellent" and "Corluka" being placed together, and there was no sense of irony at all implied ….. :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I mess the madness of Benny Assou-Ekotto. Total brainfart to absolute genius about 10 times a game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Kiith wrote: »
    I mess the madness of Benny Assou-Ekotto. Total brainfart to absolute genius about 10 times a game :D

do we not have that with aurier? minus the absolute genius bit I suppose.

• Advertisement

Timotee Atouba
    Now there was a disaster waiting to happen

i have to say corluka and brilliant got me too

anyone remember nethercott, luke young or that gilberto dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Remember Paul Stalteri and David Kerslake?

Vlad Chiriches, I recon he was only pretending to be a footballer.

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Remember Paul Stalteri and David Kerslake?

I thought they were two of our better right backs. Dean Austin was awful

wholly unironically repping for corluka

lovely footballer, good positionally, strong tackler, excellent in the air.

best right back we have had since steve carr.

not one for bombing forward, sure. but he did his job first and foremost, and he had a lovely line in passes around the corner to release his winger.

still think reto ziegler couldve done a job for us on the left long term and all......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

not one for bombing forward, sure. but he did his job first and foremost, and he had a lovely line in passes around the corner to release his winger.

still think reto ziegler couldve done a job for us on the left long term and all......

You are completely wrong about corluka, the only reason he was even in the squad was to keep modric happy. Ziegler is an interesting one had high hopes for him. our best full backs in recent years were definitely walker and rose. have to say though I had a real love for benny

and no pace ….. at all ….

the b@stard couldnt run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I thought they were two of our better right backs. Dean Austin was awful

If I remember right, Stalteri started off well but lost his form and made a lot of mistakes. Kerslake was a long time ago but I remember him being ok going forward but couldn’t defend.

I thought Dean Austin was a decent player.

Anyone remember Paolo Tramezzani ?
    Christian Gross Signing
    Shambolic

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement