Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cabra

Options
  • 27-06-2017 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi guys,

Moving up to Dublin soon and have a viewing for a house near Blackhorse Grove in Cabra East close enough to Stoneybatter.

Would anyone be able to tell me what the area is like?

Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Stoneybatter has been hipstertised in recent years. There are actually some nice places to eat etc. However it's lively enough, but generally if you keep your wits about you there shouldn't be any issues. Not sure of the area you're talking about but rarely had an issue in Stoneybatter - proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

blackhorse grove!! wouldn't be the best part of blackhorse/NCR - the locals might not appreciatte you calling it Cabra either!!!

things get a bit rough around the edges on that corner of the NCR and heading a bit north towards dunard.

Personally i'd move into stoneyabtter its self or the other side of hanlons corner heading towards Cabra/Phibsborough.

up elsemere and around there is pretty quiet even though its only around the corner.

35 year old bloke from manor st and i'd still avoid that part of blackhorse avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Agree with the above. In saying that it's located in a handy area. 200 meters in any other direction and it's a totally different place.

On the flip side you have garda presence. The is a patrol car parked outside a house in the cattle market 24/7. Armed patrol too. The cattle market as we call it is an estate that's close by. I personally wouldn't have an issue living in blackhorse Grove. I'm a local. What part of the country are you coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The problem you get with any area (pretty much full-stop) but that's rougher is the little things rather than being burgled to death. It'll be that dog that's barking at 3am or the kids in the garden that as soon as you ask - politely - for it to stop you'll have a local 'element' who may have allies/relatives around the place. I've become a bit more jaded in recent times about rougher areas, it's a real shame that scumbags can form more of a community than decent folk - who prefer to keep the head down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

The problem you get with any area (pretty much full-stop) but that's rougher is the little things rather than being burgled to death. It'll be that dog that's barking at 3am or the kids in the garden that as soon as you ask - politely - for it to stop you'll have a local 'element' who may have allies/relatives around the place. I've become a bit more jaded in recent times about rougher areas, it's a real shame that scumbags can form more of a community than decent folk - who prefer to keep the head down.

Agreed that in many cases it'll be of this ilk. But given you can literally go 5 mins in either direction without that headache would put me off that particular corner of the NCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

you say the house is "near" blackhorse grove, well if it is not in blackhorse grove then you might be alright. Drumalee is not the best either and to be honest I'm not won over by Dunard either (but its probably grand). I live in Cabra, i would recommend it, I wouldn't consider Blackhorse Grove or Drumalee to be Cabra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Hope its ok to divert thread for a min, can anyone here solve a family argument?
    half say that glenbeigh rd/park etc are cabra and the other say its blackhorse ave, who is correct?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote:
    Hope its ok to divert thread for a min, can anyone here solve a family argument? half say that glenbeigh rd/park etc are cabra and the other say its blackhorse ave, who is correct?

It's cabra, all built on cabra including Ashington. Blackhorse avenue is in cabra

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

It's definitely not cabra... it's off the old cabra road but as a local I would never ever call glenbeigh road cabra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Ashington is not cabra neither is Blackhorse avenue

Although neither is called cabra both are built on cabra. Go into the library in cabra and read up on cabra history, one such book by bernard nearby. Cabra borders are the canal and phoenix park.
    Ashington was built by eamon Lynam and named as such to disassociate its self from cabra in name in order to sell houses. Same goes for kempton. Halfway house is where cabra finishes

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭james no.1

Piriz wrote: »
    you say the house is "near" blackhorse grove, well if it is not in blackhorse grove then you might be alright. Drumalee is not the best either and to be honest I'm not won over by Dunard either (but its probably grand). I live in Cabra, i would recommend it, I wouldn't consider Blackhorse Grove or Drumalee to be Cabra.

Does it depend on the street in Drumalee, e.g. on the Aughrim/Prussia street side or facing the NCR?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Drumalee is all enclosed behind a wall. It’s the same no matter what angle your facing. I wouldn’t fancy it myself and i am a council tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

Any opinions on Swilly Road? Currently I'm living in Cabra East, near Phibsboro and am thinking of buying up there. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Any opinions on Swilly Road? Currently I'm living in Cabra East, near Phibsboro and am thinking of buying up there. Many thanks

Swilly Road seems grand.. probably gets a lot of pedestrians passing through.. there was one or two decent gafs for sale there in the past year they were 300+350k iirc. Not aware of any houses for sale there at the moment.
    Big fan of Cabra East myself.. quite a few houses for sale in Cabra at the moment.. 250k -350k..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 aon212

For anyone moving to cabra there is good and bad parts in it like most places.

Advertisement