Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Constituency Commission report released

• 27-06-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,615 ✭✭✭✭

This is important as no snap GE was possible without it as the existing number of TDs would have been unconstitutionally low (by 1) at the next election

http://www.constituency-commission.ie/

The two extra seats are in Dublin Central (with some adjoining area changes) and Kildare South (with more significant area changes) along with a lot of other minor boundary changes.

Most of the awkward county boundary breaches remain.

Without knowing specific sub-areas voting patterns, the extra seat in Central could easily go to the SocDems and the return of the bits of Kildare South that were removed + there being 3 active seats again (CC taking one) could give some hope to Mark Wall as they would have traditionally voted heavily for his father.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

My county of Offaly reunites with Laois (save for parts of the north of both which go into South Kildare)

Laois/Offaly probably does belong together tbf.

Portarlington moving to Kildare South I see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

L1011 wrote: »
    This is important as no snap GE was possible without it as the existing number of TDs would have been unconstitutionally low (by 1) at the next election
    I'm not certain on that. It's late, but any constituency scheme stands until it is replaced and any scheme is dependent on legislation. I can't seek the courts delaying an election if a new scheme is in the works and not ready (as opposed to being withheld).

Article: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/number-of-tds-to-increase-from-158-to-160-at-next-election-1.3135996

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭jd

Noel Rock won't be happy in Dub NW, loads of FG voters off to Paschal.

Could be a scrap with him, McCauliffe (FF), Carney Boud (SF) and Montague (Lab) hoping for the last seat there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,615 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    I'm not certain on that. It's late, but any constituency scheme stands until it is replaced and any scheme is dependent on legislation. I can't seek the courts delaying an election if a new scheme is in the works and not ready (as opposed to being withheld).

Article: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/number-of-tds-to-increase-from-158-to-160-at-next-election-1.3135996

Legislation isn't much use when the number being put up for election is unconstitutionally low.

The commission report is just over a week early compared to deadline, not late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

L1011 wrote: »
    Legislation isn't much use when the number being put up for election is unconstitutionally low.

The commission report is just over a week early compared to deadline, not late

Change the constitution then. There are too many TDs as it is, we could do with a few less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Change the constitution then. There are too many TDs as it is, we could do with a few less.

Unlikely to pass any referendum - people generally think there are too many TDs but its pretty much an attitude of 'every two bit town down the country has its own TD' or 'up in Dublin they have 40 TDs'. When the reality hits that any referendum is going to lead to a reduction in their own representation then it'll be rejected.
    The smaller parties will also point out that any reduction will adversely affect them more and thus its undemocratic, and you'll soon have a groundswell against it.
    In truth our number of TDs is OKish, probably 10/12 too much under the cube root rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,615 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A reduction would have to be matched with a large increase in constituency size to maintain any attempt at proportionality. 7-9 seaters basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Glad to see some of the Mayo voters are returning from Galway Wst.

Now to get the others back to the Homeland,

The new Minister Ring will no doubt pour in the jobs so as to increase the population

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bubsy

My constituency has been changed from Tipperary to Limerick. Does anyone know will I have to register or will it transfer automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bubsy wrote: »
    My constituency has been changed from Tipperary to Limerick. Does anyone know will I have to register or will it transfer automatically.
    It will transfer automatically. You continue to register in the council area where you live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement