Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A category learner permit

• 27-06-2017 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I have a full A2 licence and I am almost 23 years old. All the information available is that you have to have your A2 licence for 2 years then and apply for A learner permit and do the progression module 5 permit in category A then apply for the full licence but that is if you are under 24. By the time that I will have my A2 for years I will be almost 25 years old. When I am 24 what happens if I go to the ndls and get the A learners permit and complete IBT module 5 and go back to the ndls and try to apply for the A category without doing the test. If I go to the ndls before I have the A2 for 2 years but I am 24, will I be told that you are not eligible for the progression since you are getting your permit now instead of waiting until you have your A2 for 2 years? Tried sending emails to rsa and ndls and they don't really know the answer fully themselves. Sorry I am just confused with all this and want to get rid of this annoying restriction asap. Anyone has experience with this? Could I just get the A learner permit when I am 24, do the module 5 and ride for a year then when my A2 becomes 2 years go back and apply for the full licence without doing the RSA driving test again or does getting the A learner permit and doing the IBT before you have your A2 for 2 years even though you are 24 means that you forfeit your right to do the progressive access?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I think you could have the right idea, when you're 24 get the A provisional and then do module 5 on an A bike. then wait one year till your A2 is two years old and use the A bike module 5 ibt cert to upgrade your A2 to a full A.

you could also get the A permit when you turn 24, do module 5 and then take the A bike test. Then you wouldn't have to wear an L bib for a year and you'd be able to use motorways + being able to get insured as a full license. Just another expense of having to take the test a second time. Your years insurance could nearly be the price of a full test cheaper by being on the full A vs provisional..

it's messy, would be nice if the RSA would give you a good response of where you stand

• Registered Users Posts: 22 crv

I think you could have the right idea, when you're 24 get the A provisional and then do module 5 on an A bike. then wait one year till your A2 is two years old and use the A bike module 5 ibt cert to upgrade your A2 to a full A.

you could also get the A permit when you turn 24, do module 5 and then take the A bike test. Then you wouldn't have to wear an L bib for a year and you'd be able to use motorways + being able to get insured as a full license. Just another expense of having to take the test a second time. Your years insurance could nearly be the price of a full test cheaper by being on the full A vs provisional..

it's messy, would be nice if the RSA would give you a good response of where you stand

RSA and NDLS just provide generic responses from their website if you send them an e-mail, even tried sending them a message on Facebook. I honestly don't think they know it themselves, when I was applying for an A2 licence, it seemed that the guys at ndls were not sure themselves about the categories as they were arguing about which categories I am eligible for. Wondering if anyone tried to do like I wrote, be over 24 but not have the A2 for 2 years, get the permit and do the module 5 and go back and try to apply for full A, maybe if you are lucky they wouldn't cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Your case is quite simple -

Right now, you can't apply for a permit in cat A on two fronts - you're both too young AND you have not had your full A2 category long enough to apply for the cat A permit through 'progressive access'.

The first option is that once you turn 24, you can immediately go to the NDLS and apply for a learner permit in cat A and take a normal driving in test in cat A regardless of your current full A2 category - you'd be simply adding cat A to your full licence as a separate category.

Your only other choice is to wait until you've had your full A2 for two years and apply through progressive access ie go back to the NDLS, apply for a cat permit, bring it to your instructor, take IBT modules 1,3 & 5 in cat A, bring the IBT cert back to the NDLS with your permit and receive your full cat A without a driving test being completed. Effectively, your instructor has the power to grant your cat A full licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If he got the a permit at 24 he'd have to do some ibt again before being able to take the test though

• Registered Users Posts: 22 crv

cantdecide wrote: »
    Your case is quite simple -

Right now, you can't apply for a permit in cat A on two fronts - you're both too young AND you have not had your full A2 category long enough to apply for the cat A permit through 'progressive access'.

The first option is that once you turn 24, you can immediately go to the NDLS and apply for a learner permit in cat A and take a normal driving in test in cat A regardless of your current full A2 category - you'd be simply adding cat A to your full licence as a separate category.

Your only other choice is to wait until you've had your full A2 for two years and apply through progressive access ie go back to the NDLS, apply for a cat permit, bring it to your instructor, take IBT modules 1,3 & 5 in cat A, bring the IBT cert back to the NDLS with your permit and receive your full cat A without a driving test being completed. Effectively, your instructor has the power to grant your cat A full licence.

Yes but what if I get the A permit and do the IBT module 5? You don't need to do all the modules as I already have done it for the A2, just 5. What happens if I just get the permit and do the module? Am I still eligible to change the licence once my A2 reaches 2 years? In the meantime I would stay with an A category learner permit until my A2 reaches 2 years and then go back to the ndls and upgrade to a full A. Or is it if I apply for the category A permit before it's 2 years then it means that I chose to take the test and as a result I am no longer eligible for the progression module? I don't know if anyone has ever done something like this before, frustrating to say the least. Would also be strange telling insurance that I have a full licence and then ring them again and tell them I am back on the learner permit, they would probably refuse to insure a bigger sports bike like the honda cbr600rr because I am back on the learner permit from full A2.

• Advertisement

If he got the a permit at 24 he'd have to do some ibt again before being able to take the test though

Yes. An omission on my part. Quite right.
    crv wrote: »
    Yes but what if I get the A permit and do the IBT module 5? You don't need to do all the modules as I already have done it for the A2, just 5. What happens if I just get the permit and do the module? Am I still eligible to change the licence once my A2 reaches 2 years? In the meantime I would stay with an A category learner permit until my A2 reaches 2 years and then go back to the ndls and upgrade to a full A. Or is it if I apply for the category A permit before it's 2 years then it means that I chose to take the test and as a result I am no longer eligible for the progression module? I don't know if anyone has ever done something like this before, frustrating to say the least. Would also be strange telling insurance that I have a full licence and then ring them again and tell them I am back on the learner permit, they would probably refuse to insure a bigger sports bike like the honda cbr600rr because I am back on the learner permit from full A2.

All of your IBT training has been against category A2. You will end up repeating a lot of the information but you effectively need to be trained up the cat A standard. The only modules you are exempt from are 2 & 4. You will have to repeat the lions share of IBT but for cat A.
    crv wrote: »
    What happens if I just get the permit and do the module? Am I still eligible to change the licence once my A2 reaches 2 years? In the meantime I would stay with an A category learner permit until my A2 reaches 2 years and then go back to the ndls and upgrade to a full A. Or is it if I apply for the category A permit before it's 2 years then it means that I chose to take the test and as a result I am no longer eligible for the progression module? I don't know if anyone has ever done something like this before, frustrating to say the least. Would also be strange telling insurance that I have a full licence and then ring them again and tell them I am back on the learner permit, they would probably refuse to insure a bigger sports bike like the honda cbr600rr because I am back on the learner permit from full A2.

This really is much simpler than you think. It's like having a full licence for a rigid truck and a learner permit for an artic. There is a hierarchy but they are separate categories. The learner permit for cat A does not supersede your full entitlement for cat A2 - your full A2 exists as a full entitlement regardless of whether or not you go for a bigger bike or not. You don't stop being fully licenced for medium power bikes after you apply for the high power bike learner permit.

If bring an medium power bike to your insurance company, they will be interested in your full licence. If your bring a high power bike to your insurance company, they will be interested in your learner permit.

You are free to get your learner permit in cat A when you turn 24 with the intention of taking IBT for cat A and then passing the cat A test BUT THEN not bother with it in favour of waiting for your A2 full licence to come to 2 years and get the full A through progressive access - it's a free choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

OP. Only module 5 required whichever direction you decide to go as modules 1 and 3 don't need repeating for progression if done already.
    Your instructor will require some information from you prior to training as they will need a confirmation code from the RSA for your new cert before you can do it. Category A learner permit will be required before anything is done.

Roadskill wrote: »
    OP. Only module 5 required whichever direction you decide to go as modules 1 and 3 don't need repeating for progression if done already.

Just for the sake of the full picture, the RSA do require the instructor to declare that 1 & 3 have been completed on the IBT cert when applying for progressive access. Strictly speaking, this declaration is a requirement whether the instructor deems it necessary to conduct the tuition with a rider or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I have a query related could I seek clarification here please

Advertisement