Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon to Limerick transport

• 27-06-2017 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Been trying to find a suitable accomodation in Limerick but no luck so far. So exploring other options i.e. to reside in Shannon and travel to Limerick. I have few questions:

1. Is there a road toll between Shannon & Limerick regional hospital?

2. O.H. don't drive so is there a public transport to and from Limerick city? How often bus goes and approx how much bus journey costs?

Any other thoughts to consider?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

1. Is there a road toll between Shannon & Limerick regional hospital?

The fastest route between Shannon and the hospital would be through the tunnel under the river. There is a toll on that.

You could go through the city but it'd take longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

During working hours say 9 AM, is it very busy to avoid toll road? Google map shows 4 extra minutes.

Re: 343 bus service whats the monthly ticket?
    The fastest route between Shannon and the hospital would be through the tunnel under the river. There is a toll on that.

You could go through the city but it'd take longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

To avoid the tunnel you will have to take the Caherdavin exit from the N18, continue in the old Ennis road, then take the Condell road, over the Shannon bridge and out the Dock Road. 9am is peak morning rush hour and these routes are very busy especially when the schools are back, same in the evening rush hour. You could easily spend more on fuel and time sitting in traffic than paying the €1.90 both ways through the tunnel each day.

Ok. I thought it will be 3.80e for both ways. Correct me if i am wrong
    bazz26 wrote: »
    To avoid the tunnel you will have to take the Caherdavin exit from the N18, continue in the old Ennis road, then take the Condell road, over the Shannon bridge and out the Dock Road. 9am is peak morning rush hour and these routes are very busy especially when the schools are back, same in the evening rush hour. You could easily spend more on fuel and time sitting in traffic than paying the €1.90 both ways through the tunnel each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

You're correct. 1.90 each way.

So that will cost 80e a month for me.

Plus other 80e for other half using the bus and time to travel.

So say 200e extra for transportation if i live in Shannon.

Now thinking of increasing our budget in house rental by 200e. It appears residing in Shannon wouldn't make a huge difference.

Anyone has different opinion?
    You're correct. 1.90 each way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

So that will cost 80e a month for me.

Plus other 80e for other half using the bus and time to travel.

So say 200e extra for transportation if i live in Shannon.

Now thinking of increasing our budget in house rental by 200e. It appears residing in Shannon wouldn't make a huge difference.

Anyone has different opinion?

Without a doubt, live in Limerick if you can. You'll spend less time commuting and will have a better social life as there's far more happening in Limerick than Shannon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ok. I thought it will be 3.80e for both ways. Correct me if i am wrong

Yes, I meant 1.90 each way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Pay the extra €200 to live in Limerick, no offence to Shannon people, but it's a bit of a kip and very little going on. I've worked in Shannon for years and live in Limerick, not a hope would I live in Shannon.

• Advertisement

Ok. That's useful information.

Unable to find anything good for less than 1200e in Limerick city.

So it looks like I have to throw in extra 300e to live in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I moved down about two months ago, so went through the rental thing not too long ago. A bit of patience will go a long way if you aren't under serious time pressure.

There are a lot of places coming up on daft ~1200p/m but there's decent places still popping up occasionally for ~950 also. I'm skeptical as to whether the €1200 places are flying off the shelf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

How many bedrooms are you looking for?

1200 should be plenty for a good house or apartment for two people. I know of people who have nice places in the centre for around 650 euro. You'll get a 3 or 4 bedroom house for around 1200 euro.

zulutango wrote: »
    I know of people who have nice places in the centre for around 650 euro.

Prices have sky rocketed in the last 18-24 months, the only place you would get for €650 in town now would be a rat infected **** hole.

Even the Apts in Mount Kenneth on the Dock Rd are going for €800pm and they are the definition of a **** hole.

They've certainly increased significantly. Point is that the OP's budget is definitely sufficient to get somewhere nice. The problem is probably availability more than anything else. There's only a handful of places on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Try contacting City Lettings (Jim Murphy) in Cork, they have a number of rentals in Limerick City and sometimes don't advertise!

City Lettings 0214941199

My max budget is 1000e and looking for 2 big or atleast 3 small sized bedrooms.

In the beginning there were at Carrigh Midhe but those are gone now.

Only decent ones are for 1200 which is 200 above my budget. Thats why i went searching in Shannon. They have a decent penthouse for 900e but people here advised to avoid Shannon as transportation time and cost would be more than 200e for 2 persons per month. Other half dont drive so need to take bus.

We don't mind the social life in Shannon as we have limited friend circle and dont go to pubs or drink.

I will check out City Lettings (Jim Murphy) out they have anything. Do you have their email by any chance?

Thanks everyone!!
    (Lets see how life in Limerick turns out) :D
    How many bedrooms are you looking for?

1200 should be plenty for a good house or apartment for two people. I know of people who have nice places in the centre for around 650 euro. You'll get a 3 or 4 bedroom house for around 1200 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

My max budget is 1000e and looking for 2 big or atleast 3 small sized bedrooms.

In the beginning there were at Carrigh Midhe but those are gone now.

Only decent ones are for 1200 which is 200 above my budget. Thats why i went searching in Shannon. They have a decent penthouse for 900e but people here advised to avoid Shannon as transportation time and cost would be more than 200e for 2 persons per month. Other half dont drive so need to take bus.

We don't mind the social life in Shannon as we have limited friend circle and dont go to pubs or drink.

I will check out City Lettings (Jim Murphy) out they have anything. Do you have their email by any chance?

Thanks everyone!!
    (Lets see how life in Limerick turns out) :D

There's an apartment on Daft.ie at the moment up in Oakleigh Wood, Dooradoyle for €1000, might be worth a look if you haven't already seen it. It would be close enough to the hospital, certainly within cycling distance if a bit far to walk!!

That's the one with GL auctioneers and it's gone now. I was told on Monday that its gone. If you see at the end of ad it says last updated on 23.06.2017

There is a good one at Caherconlish, Co. Limerick but i saw on Google maps that its about 20 minutes drive and 40 min by bus.
    Any ideas on this one?
    Skuxx wrote: »
    There's an apartment on Daft.ie at the moment up in Oakleigh Wood, Dooradoyle for €1000, might be worth a look if you haven't already seen it. It would be close enough to the hospital, certainly within cycling distance if a bit far to walk!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

That's the one with GL auctioneers and it's gone now. I was told on Monday that its gone. If you see at the end of ad it says last updated on 23.06.2017

There is a good one at Caherconlish, Co. Limerick but i saw on Google maps that its about 20 minutes drive and 40 min by bus.
    Any ideas on this one?

Could still see it just now anyway!

• Advertisement

The agency may remove it from daft this week.

I have next week left only to find a nice place and move out. Fingers crossed!
    Skuxx wrote: »
    Could still see it just now anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Santropay

Generally lurk on the Midwest forums but I've lost my account details so re-reg.
    davo2001 wrote: »
    Prices have sky rocketed in the last 18-24 months, the only place you would get for €650 in town now would be a rat infected **** hole.

Even the Apts in Mount Kenneth on the Dock Rd are going for €800pm and they are the definition of a **** hole.
    davo2001 wrote: »
    Pay the extra €200 to live in Limerick, no offence to Shannon people, but it's a bit of a kip and very little going on. I've worked in Shannon for years and live in Limerick, not a hope would I live in Shannon.

Is this a wind-up, or do you really not see the irony of posting both of the statements above?

Your comment about Shannon was like starting a sentence with "I'm not a racist, but...". Well, congrats, because as someone born and bred in Shannon, I AM offended.

OP - I've seen your threads on the Clare forum, so just to reassure you it is NOT a kip - there are lovely areas and some run down areas (just like, oh dare I say it, Limerick maybe?). It's generally quiet and safe with easy access to Limerick, Ennis and beyond and the shops and cafes in Skycourt have really improved in the last few years.

And Davo (and your post 'thankers'), if Shannon offends your sensibilities that much, maybe you should just find jobs elsewhere and leave the jobs in Shannon to people who actually like spending time there?

Hi Santropay,

I noticed Bus Eireann covers the journey from Shannon to Limerick. The price is 10.80e for a return journey or 42e for 10 journeys.

I am wondering is there any other cheaper alternative available? Like a monthly pass?
    Santropay wrote: »

OP - I've seen your threads on the Clare forum, so just to reassure you it is NOT a kip - there are lovely areas and some run down areas (just like, oh dare I say it, Limerick maybe?). It's generally quiet and safe with easy access to Limerick, Ennis and beyond and the shops and cafes in Skycourt have really improved in the last few years.

I AM offended.

Good for you, I couldn't care less to be honest.
    - I've seen your threads on the Clare forum, so just to reassure you it is NOT a kip

You might disagree but there are plenty of others who do agree with me.

OP at the end of the day it's up to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I had a look at Daft there. Try Ballycummin Village, Fr. Russell Road, Oakleigh Wood. They are close.

Annacotty is also nice, and you can get onto motorway quick and over to the hospital, say 20mins with average traffic.

I have been checking daft every 2 hours. 75% of the ads are actually gone.
    There is a viewing of house in Castletroy on tomorrow. But agent said more people are coming in. So dont think i stand a big chance.
    myshirt wrote: »
    I had a look at Daft there. Try Ballycummin Village, Fr. Russell Road, Oakleigh Wood. They are close.

Annacotty is also nice, and you can get onto motorway quick and over to the hospital, say 20mins with average traffic.

Many thanks for looking up for me.

I saw this house in the morning. The issue was the Victorian era look in the bedrooms made me depressed just by looking at it. They have a nice garden and its meeting my upper rental limit.

Advertisement