Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB sizing

Options
  • 28-06-2017 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

I'm slap bang in between two bike sizes, the recommend size of a bike I'm looking at puts me between the 15" and 17" frame, is it recommended to size up or down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

I know with road bikes its size down and you can then put a bigger stem on to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

dylbert wrote: »
    I'm slap bang in between two bike sizes, the recommend size of a bike I'm looking at puts me between the 15" and 17" frame, is it recommended to size up or down?

Is this a bike just for cycling into the shops or into work? Basic bicycle like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Is this a bike just for cycling into the shops or into work? Basic bicycle like?

No, I currently have a hybrid for pottering about, I want a hardtail for a bit of local trail riding and maybe the odd trip up the dublin mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I went with the bigger size when buying and glad I did so. I fitted a shorter stem to reduce the reach and make the steering snappier/sharper. I'm glad I did so as I now know a smaller bike would have been too cramped and uncomfortable on longer spins.

If you were using the bike purely for off road use and technical trails/descents then a smaller frame may be more chuckable however if its for more mundane gravel roads and trails and some road use then get the larger size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

It probably depends on the bike, but in general if you want something more lively or if you want to learn skills like bunny hopping or manualling (sp?) then smaller may be better. However, a slightly larger bike can me more stable on descents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

dylbert wrote: »
    No, I currently have a hybrid for pottering about, I want a hardtail for a bit of local trail riding and maybe the odd trip up the dublin mountains.

Consider different brands of bike, some are sized differently, a size small could be a medium in another frame for example, go for the slightly larger size and you can get a shorter stem and drop the seatpost..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

Like you I'm bang between two sizes! The usual advice from the more technically able riders is to buy the smaller size because it will be more manoeuvrable and quicker steering. I followed this advice for a number of MTB purchases but always found the smaller size felt a little cramped, even with a longer stem! Consequently my last couple of bikes have been Large (rather than Medium) and I find them much more comfortable and also more stable on descents. I also prefer the feel from the shorter stem that I can run on the larger frame!

Advertisement