Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car hire excess.

Options
  • 28-06-2017 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

* assuming this is the right place to post this *
    Hey, so I'm renting a car from Friday lunchtime till Saturday lunchtime. Driving from Dublin to Galway and back again. The rental company are offering Excess Protection for €20. Is there any benefit for getting the excess with the company or would people have experience getting excess from a 3rd party?

First time renting a car so a bit clueless.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You'll get it cheaper elsewhere. Google car hire excess. Make sure your c.c. is healthy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Monaco1989

You'll get it cheaper elsewhere. Google car hire excess. Make sure your c.c. is healthy too.

Excuse my ignorance but C.C.?

Anyone any experience with carhireexcess.ie?

Reviews seem good from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

I use carhireexcess.ie
    Ive often tried to find out if anyone has ever had a claim using them to see how they got on and how difficult it was, but noone ever answered.
    But they do cover more than the rental companies insurance does and for 1/7 of the price.

I use carhireexcess.ie
    Ive often tried to find out if anyone has ever had a claim using them to see how they got on and how difficult it was, but noone ever answered.
    But they do cover more than the rental companies insurance does and for 1/7 of the price.

Yeah that's what I was wondering myself but the reviews seem decent.

Are they handy enough to get covered with?

Monaco1989 wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I was wondering myself but the reviews seem decent.

Are they handy enough to get covered with?

Takes 5 minutes getting it on their website.
    Cover is instant. Just print off the docs in case the car hire company they and string arm you in to taking their insurance.

• Advertisement

Takes 5 minutes getting it on their website.
    Cover is instant. Just print off the docs in case the car hire company they and string arm you in to taking their insurance.

Ah nice one. Yeah need 24 hour cover. Company looking for €20, carhireexcess.ie looking for ~€6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I used carhireexcess for several years and had to lodge a claim once. There was no issue with the claim, they paid out once all the information was available. You have to remember that you have to pay for the damage on your credit card when returning the car, then claim the money back from carhireexcess.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭podge_din

If you buy the insurance through carhireexcess.ie just remember that if there is any damage to the car you will have to pay the car rental company for the damage and then claim it back from carhireexcess.ie.
    You will also need a credit card in your own name with the excess amount available on it as the car hire company will need to secure this amount before you take the car.

Falcon L wrote: »
    I used carhireexcess for several years and had to lodge a claim once. There was no issue with the claim, they paid out once all the information was available. You have to remember that you have to pay for the damage on your credit card when returning the car, then claim the money back from carhireexcess.

What kind of info needed to be available?
    Was it hard to get it all together for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

to be honest for the sake of €14 I would go with the car hire company, if you have their insurance there is no hanging around waiting for the car to be inspected or any disputes about whether there was damage there when you got it, also they put a hold of whatever the excess is on your credit card until they are happy there is no damage,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Make sure you have credit card not debit card on any drivers name.
    Make sure you have at least 2000 eur available on the card for the hire company to reserve.
    In the eyes of hire company you are uninsured. So they will take the reseved amount + more for repairs, if accident happens. Then you claim back from your car hire insurance.
    Refuse any extra covers/insurances the person at the car hire desk will offer at the time of pickup.

What kind of info needed to be available?
    Was it hard to get it all together for them?
    No, it's information you already have. Just the hire contract information from the hire company, the rental agreement number or the car reg. The car hire company dealt with carhireexcess directly regarding the damage estimate.

I have to say that it was all very easy and pleasant to deal with carhireexcess.ie.

Make sure you have credit card not debit card on any drivers name.
    Make sure you have at least 2000 eur available on the card for the hire company to reserve.
    In the eyes of hire company you are uninsured. So they will take the reseved amount + more for repairs, if accident happens. Then you claim back from your car hire insurance.
    Refuse any extra covers/insurances the person at the car hire desk will offer at the time of pickup.
    Not entirely true. You are insured, but there is an excess on the insurance that you have to pay. That's what carhireexcess cover, as the name suggests.

No matter what happens, you will only have to pay the excess figure given to you when you hire the car. Some hire companies have a higher excess than others, so shop around.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Monaco1989 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but C.C.?

Anyone any experience with carhireexcess.ie?

Reviews seem good from what I've seen.

Credit card. They'll charge a lump to it and refund when the car is returned undamaged.

Carhireexcess are good.

Cheers folks.
    Will have to go with the rental company insurance as I don't have a credit card. Was on the phone there to confirm.
    Not the end of the world.

Cheers

Advertisement