Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sports revamp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

GSPfan wrote: »
    Why don't they just move all Premier League games to 6 oclock on a Saturday and Sunday and have all lower league games on at 3 or earlier. No clash and no worry of people staying at home to watch United instead of freezing their ass off in a stadium.

I would rather they played 5 matches on a Saturday and 5 on a Sunday at the same time and you can watch anyone you want. You can only watch one at a time anyway.

I love when the big teams are playing at the same time as hearing the scores during the match you are watching is so much fun. We only really get that on the last day.

The world doesn't revolve around the tv consumer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Zebra3 wrote: »

You'd like to think that, but with the money coming in from TV compared to gate receipts you could easily see something like this happen eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

s8n wrote: »

Not quite.

It's only 130 games and it's the games that NBC don't show live on TV so unlikely to be the best games.

They were free to cable subscribers for the last few years.

Americans are going mad about it over on Reddit.

Article about it here

https://deadspin.com/nbc-has-totally-****ed-its-premier-league-coverage-1796466439

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Zebra3 wrote: »

In Germany the Saturday BL2 KO time is 13:30 and the BL KO time is 15:30. All BL games are televised on Sky Bundesliga.
    In Spain there are 10 different KO times every weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

In Germany the Saturday BL2 KO time is 13:30 and the BL KO time is 15:30. All BL games are televised on Sky Bundesliga.
    In Spain there are 10 different KO times every weekend.

Spain not many away fans will attend games. Germany the public transport is far better then England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

What about people going to the games and public transport, yes it is good for TV viewers but not good for the match going fans

Whats the difference between public transport at 3 oclock and 5 oclock????

Whats the difference between public transport at 3 oclock and 5 oclock????

Train times, they don't run all day and night at weekends in England, when they moved the Cup Final to the later kick off times they have had to put on special trains for fans travelling back north

Train times, they don't run all day and night at weekends in England, when they moved the Cup Final to the later kick off times they have had to put on special trains for fans travelling back north

Sound, so just do that then. Its only 5 oclock which already has games on at that time on a Saturday so its hardly out of the ordinary. Its not like its 10 at night.

Actually forget the 5 oclock then. Put lower league games on earlier around 1 and Premier League around 4.

Sound, so just do that then. Its only 5 oclock which already has games on at that time on a Saturday so its hardly out of the ordinary. Its not like its 10 at night.

Actually forget the 5 oclock then. Put lower league games on earlier around 1 and Premier League around 4.

Then you would have lower league fans complaining, say your a Plymouth fan what time would you have to leave to make it up to Blackpool / Fleetwood Town or vice versa for 1pm kick off. It is hard to call what they have now I think is the best they can have with out ruining the game for all levels or it could go down the Spanish route with very few away fans attending games

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

@citytillidie. The PL already has 12:30 and 5:30 games on a Saturday, 1:30 and 4pm games on a Sunday and an 8pm game on a Monday night. Add to that the occasional Friiday night and Sunday midday games and 5-6 full midweek rounds. The Championship aleady has games on Friday nights, Saturday and Sunday mornings before the PL games and around 10 midweek rounds. Leagues 1 and 2 have games schedules for TV at these ridiculous times too.

Fans are already being royally put out by TV and it's only going to get worse. And early KO for the lower divisions on a Saturday (2pm) and a 4pm KO for the PL and all games televised wouldn't make that much difference for match attending fans. Hell even leaving the EFL alone and moving PL KOs to 5pm would only affect 5 matches every weekend.

Exactly what Cookiemunster says.

In fact, it would benefit travelling fans of PL clubs to know when games are on well in advance as too many games get moved around to suit a tv schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Ireland have it better than the rest of the EU as they get to choose what 3pm kick off they get while the rest all show the same 3pm kick off decided by the Premier League

That is not true. Each provider can choose one of any 3pm games to show. The Premier League do not make that choice. NC+ in Poland for example could be showing a different 3pm game than Movistar in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Not quite.

It's only 130 games and it's the games that NBC don't show live on TV so unlikely to be the best games.

They were free to cable subscribers for the last few years.

Americans are going mad about it over on Reddit.

Article about it here

https://deadspin.com/nbc-has-totally-****ed-its-premier-league-coverage-1796466439

It's bad for the folks who already had cable, and the full sports package. great for me though - don't have cable, don't want cable, but do want football subscription. Would be only delighted to pay several times this much to get all the games, but for 50 quid for the season, i'll take what they give me. Hopefully the next step is to just make the whole premier league package be available without a cable subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Any idea if the price of the overall package will be increased?

I assume it will to compensate for the fans who'll only want to buy 1 or 2 of the channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I assume you will still need to take out the basic "Entertainment / variety" pack before adding on one or more of the Sports packs? This is the killer for me and I'm sure many others. So really its not going to be 18 quid is it? It will be ~30 euro for the standard variety (i.e. rubbish) pack and then 25-30 on top of that for the football. So you're still talking at least 45-50 pm. There's no way they'll allow customers to ditch the standard package and do "sport only". So really, is this anything other than a bit of fluffy rebranding?

I cancelled Sky a couple of months ago. I had been paying them 60-70pm for a few years and I finally bit the bullet. Apart from watching the odd match I really wasn't getting any value... when I realised that I spent the majority of the time watching RTE/BBC, which are free, I decided it had to go. With a Saorview / FreeSat setup you still get dozens of channels and the likes of the CL, Match of the Day, International matches, GAA, etc, etc, are all on the free to air channels. All in glorious HD! E.g. on Sky for example, it was a PITA if I wanted to watch something on ITV, such as the CL highlights. Now on Freesat I can much more easily watch ITV HD (and record it too).

Sky's "NowTV" thing does sound interesting but from what I've read about it, it still looks a bit pricey and its a bit half-baked in terms of implementation. Not Full HD afaik and I've heard it can be flakey reliability wise - like watching a bad stream...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

So £18 PM EXTRA, so i take it you still have to buy all the other sh1te that comes along with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭patrickSTARR

Im happy with my Sky Package at the min, but Im hoping my bill could be potentially reduced as I only watch the football on Sky Sports and no other sports (used to watch WWE when younger but not now. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

It's still a load of bollox. They're selling the channel Sky Premier Legue, but it's Sky Big Event that will show the games most are interested in.

Let users pick theirs own teams games. This is what a large chunk of people want.

The Sky model is very outdated at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Let users pick theirs own teams games. This is what a large chunk of people want.

The Sky model is very outdated at this stage.

the PL rights aren't sold in that way though.

They are sold as packages of games - so Sky couldn't buy (and then sell) all the United games. If you bought only United games from Sky as it is, you would end up with a small subset of matches. 10 maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Their mention of a Main Event channel worries, and annoys me.

I was interested in getting the football channel - but if they are going to put, for example, Liverpool vs United on the 'Main Event' channel i'll probably just skip the entire thing.

Their mention of a Main Event channel worries, and annoys me.

I was interested in getting the football channel - but if they are going to put, for example, Liverpool vs United on the 'Main Event' channel i'll probably just skip the entire thing.

Main Event is only available to those on Sky who have all the packages and will simulcast the big events from the other channels.

I say it is there for them to offer it to other broadcasters like BT where they have to offer them 2 channels.

But what is going to happen when they have Sky Football and have an EFL game and Scottish PL game on at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Main Event is only available to those on Sky who have all the packages and will simulcast the big events from the other channels.

You sure about this one?

Makes no sense to hype it so much, and make it only available to "full package" customers, who won't be in a position to "miss" anything anyway.

Weird branding/marketing if it's basically a simulcast channel holder.

Also, it's been given a low number "401" as far as I can see.

I say it is there for them to offer it to other broadcasters like BT where they have to offer them 2 channels.

But what is going to happen when they have Sky Football and have an EFL game and Scottish PL game on at the same time

Id assume Scottish Footballs viewship has decline massively in the last 10 years just as the standard of football itself up in the SPL has declined.

The loss of Rangers in the league Id imagine was a huge blow and one it will struggle to ever recover from

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

They don't have enough content for 5 channels never mind 10.
    3 of them will show football then. With a saving of sweet f**k all if you want just them 3.

You sure about this one?

Makes no sense to hype it so much, and make it only available to "full package" customers, who won't be in a position to "miss" anything anyway.

Weird branding/marketing if it's basically a simulcast channel holder.

Also, it's been given a low number "401" as far as I can see.

A new Main Event channel dedicated to the biggest live events from across our channels - available to customers with the full range of Sky Sports channels

from http://www.skysports.com/relaunch

From 18 July, Sky Sports will be better than ever with a range of new dedicated channels

• Sky Sports customers don’t need to do anything, the change will happen automatically

• We're still bringing you the best live sport with ten channels including dedicated channels for the Premier League, Football, Cricket, Golf and F1

• Enjoy the best international Rugby Union, Rugby League, boxing, darts, NFL, tennis and more on the new Sky Sports Action and Arena channels

• Get more of the sport you love with improved personalisation on the new-look Sky Sports app, available from August

• Award-winning commentary and analysis, plus brand new shows and documentaries

• Watch Premier League, F1 and England Test Cricket in Ultra HD with Sky Q

• A new Main Event channel dedicated to the biggest live events from across our channels - available to customers with the full range of Sky Sports channels

Sky Sports Premier League
    126 Premier League games
    Live action across Monday nights, Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays throughout the season

New weeknight debate show
    Dedicated club days including interviews, documentaries, behind-the-scenes access, news and highlights

Never miss a minute of the action
    Enhanced live features on the Sky Sports app including a brand new timeline feature from August

Sky Sports Football
    Live football every week
    Watch the EFL, Carabao Cup, SPFL and La Liga, plus Euro 2020 qualifiers

Reviews and dedicated round up shows
    Expert debate and analysis on EFL and La Liga

Live action wherever you are
    With our new improved Sky Sports app you can enjoy live action, goals and highlights straight to your phone

Sky Sports F1
    Exclusive access
    The only place to watch every Formula 1® practice, qualifying and race live

Ultra High Definition
    Every race in UHD with Sky Q

Race Control
    Take control of how you watch with F1® Race Control through the Red Button

Sky Sports Cricket
    Every home Test
    Watch all England home Tests, ODIs and T20 matches

Cricket from around the world
    Including all ICC competitions and domestic cricket

New documentaries
    Getting you closer to the players

New pundits
    We welcome Andrew Flintoff to Sky Sports

Sky Sports Golf
    Live coverage
    Watch the Majors as well as the European and PGA Tours

Sky Sports exclusive
    All the live action from the Solheim Cup

Exclusive interviews
    Catch up every week with players and caddies, getting you closer to the game

Golf Masterclasses
    Improve your game with help from Tiger Woods’ former coach, Butch Harmon

Sky Sports Action and Arena
    Bringing you the most live sport
    All of the action from International and European Rugby Union, Rugby League, Tennis, Boxing, NFL, GAA, Darts and WWE

Getting you closer
    Great programming including NFL Red Zone and The Gloves Are Off

Never miss a moment
    Watch all the live sport wherever you are with the Sky Sports app

So its more of a reshuffle of its content than any big significant changes.

While I think the above changes are nonsense, ip the monthly subscription to everything is still cheaper than a night out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

So basically you still need to pay for Golf, F1, cricket etc. if you just want to watch Premier League? There's no premier league on the dedicated football channel. Load of me hoop.

• Advertisement

Anyone have the individual price just for the PL games / channel?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

ShaneU wrote: »
    So basically you still need to pay for Golf, F1, cricket etc. if you just want to watch Premier League? Load of me hoop.

The way I read it is that all pl football is on a single channel, all other football on a different channel. There is no mention of any football only being shown on the main event channel.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Anyone have the individual price just for the PL games / channel?

Saw it earlier. From memory £18 for 1 channel, £23 for 2 or £27 for the lot. Something like that

Just checked:

Single channel - £18
    Two channels - £22
    Three - £26
    All 10 - £27:50

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Saw it earlier. From memory £18 for 1 channel, £23 for 2 or £27 for the lot. Something like that

18 still steep, **** the rest of them IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anyone know what package At The Races is in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Just checked:

Single channel - £18
    Two channels - £22
    Three - £26
    Who's going to buy 3 channels when you can get 10 for an extra 1.50 a month.

What are the current sterling prices for comparison? Why can't they release Irish prices too, it disgraceful how much of an afterthought we are. £18 probably at least €25 I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just checked:

Single channel - £18
    Two channels - £22
    Three - £26

I wonder what the Irish prices will be.

£27.50 is what they charge for Sky Sports in the UK now but they charge €40 here, despite the exchange rate equalling roughly €31.50.

5starpool wrote: »
    The way I read it is that all pl football is on a single channel, all other football on a different channel. There is no mention of any football only being shown on the main event channel.

What i am picking up is the main event channel is only there as they have to make a channel with all their best action available to other broadcasters.

Other broadcasters will only get 2 channel in the UK apart from Virgin Media who will get all the channels.

So I guess BT will replace Sky Sports 1 and 2 with Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Premier League

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Just checked:

Single channel - £18
    Two channels - £22
    Three - £26

Do you still have to pay for the variety package?

Do you still have to pay for the variety package?

You do currently, a few extra shillings but it can be easily knocked off with some haggling

Always Haggle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

You do currently, a few extra shillings but it can be easily knocked off with some haggling

Always Haggle!

I haggle every six months (ie. Threaten to quit) and currently have sports and movies for under €40 per month. I have their broadband and phone too.

I haggle every six months (ie. Threaten to quit) and currently have sports and movies for under €40 per month. I have their broadband and phone too.

I have the movies and Sports for 9 months at half price (Rang up in June to quit before it went full price), So Im happy until March for now. If it ever goes full price, Im not interested.

Thread should be renamed to Sky Sports Robbery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Always Haggle!

Can't see it working too well. Customers will still be illegally streaming their team as they can't watch all of their team's matches.

That £18 for 1 channel will probably be €25 here plus another €25ish for the variety. So still €50 plus for a single channel.

Plus BT have games.

You could see a lot of people just not bothering and buy a nowtv pass for a very big game.

With BT gone from Virgin it is further blow to Sky over here.

Even if price isn't an issue for you it is getting harder to acess all sports on the one platform.

Wasn't someone saying on another thread that all the premiership games can be viewed in the states for something like $5/10 a month. People will want to stream that instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I will wait for the prices and then pass my judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I assume those prices don't include HD either which you still have to pay extra for.

I assume those prices don't include HD either which you still have to pay extra for.

Ive been HD fee free as of my last haggle session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I just don't see this in anyway dealing with the realities of the customers that Sky are chasing.

People viewing habits are changing, and having to pay 18/20/30 a month or whatever for a rake of stuff you will never watch seems like it is living in the past.

I have read, though can't recall where, that the average length of time, as well as the actual numbers, of people tuning into games in dropping call the time. People are just not prepared to regularly sit around for 2 hours to watch a game. Certainly not a game they are not 'invested' in by way of their favorite team etc.

Obviously as long as sufficient numbers pay the monthly subscription Sky won't be too bothered and certainly won't make any changes but it is always a trade off between continuing with the existing customer base and attracting new customers.

There is no doubt that people would prefer to watch MU/Pool/Chelsea or one of the other 'top' teams rather that sit through Stoke v Bournemouth. I think the next TV deal could have those teams pushing for more TV games and Sky will do the same as that is where the numbers lie.

I can't see this attracting any new customers.

Can't see it working too well. Customers will still be illegally streaming their team as they can't watch all of their team's matches.

That £18 for 1 channel will probably be €25 here plus another €25ish for the variety. So still €50 plus for a single channel.

Plus BT have games.

You could see a lot of people just not bothering and buy a nowtv pass for a very big game.

With BT gone from Virgin it is further blow to Sky over here.

Even if price isn't an issue for you it is getting harder to acess all sports on the one platform.

Wasn't someone saying on another thread that all the premiership games can be viewed in the states for something like $5/10 a month. People will want to stream that instead.

That US streaming thing for 50 quid is only for the game they wouldn't otherwise be showing, i.e. games you probably won't generally want to watch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement