Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling newbie

Options
  • 28-06-2017 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys, I'm new to cycling and had got a second hand road bike to try out for a while as I'm training for an adventure race next month. I'm loving the cycling so much I want to keep it up after the race and thinking now of buying a new bike, saw a carrera in shop very reasonably priced, just looking for opinions on this bike, the one I have now is a BH gavia, great wee bike, only problem I have with it is the chain rubs off the derailleur when moving up gears and the rattle is bit annoying other than that no bother with it. So carrera V Bh gavia??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

star71 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm new to cycling and had got a second hand road bike to try out for a while as I'm training for an adventure race next month. I'm loving the cycling so much I want to keep it up after the race and thinking now of buying a new bike, saw a carrera in shop very reasonably priced, just looking for opinions on this bike, the one I have now is a BH gavia, great wee bike, only problem I have with it is the chain rubs off the derailleur when moving up gears and the rattle is bit annoying other than that no bother with it. So carrera V Bh gavia??

Carrera are the Halfords own brand bikes - my advice is don't bother with them. They're inexpensive compared to other bikes for a reason.

If you're anyway seriously thinking of getting into the bike properly then look to spend 700-1000 on a entry level Giant, Trek, Cube, Lapierre or Felt road bike or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

+1 Halfords are a nightmare when it comes to cycling. Car guys selling bikes they know little to nothing about.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/
    http://chainreactioncycles.com/

The two of them often have some of "last years" bikes for fair money. Measure yourself twice first.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Your BH would probably benefit from a good service to sort out your derailleur problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 star71

Thanks for replies, unfortunately I couldn't afford to spend big money on a bike just now, maybe I'd be as well just getting my own serviced and getting new gear system on it, guy I bought it off said it was older type of system so maybe new one will sort out that problem. Honestly the bike is fine it's just the noise of the chain rubbing annoys me during the cycle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Either your LBS for a good once over on everything. Probably 100euro.

Or onto youtube, some tools and have a crack yourself at the derailleur alignment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Keep an eye on cycling adverts on here, and also adverts. ie. You csn get lucky and pick up a very good 2nd hand bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 star71

Thanks will check out adverts to see what they have.

Advertisement