Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refuses to give back deposit

Options
  • 28-06-2017 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have been renting a room for a few months now, but I will have to be moving out soon. The landlord does not want to give back the deposit unless I stay for a full year.

At the start in the email correspondence I mentioned that I 'planned' to stay for 12 months. The landlord did not say anything about refusing to give back the deposit if I move out earlier than planned. There was no written contract, the house is not owner occupied, also I am a student.

Is there anything I can do in this situation to get my deposit back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

How soon is "soon"? You have to give correct notice depending on whether you are there less or more than six months.

You agreed to a term of 12 months in your correspondence, you can reassign the lease by getting someone to take over the room, or the LL is allowed to mitigate losses incurred by having to re-let the room.

Renting is a two way agreement, the LL could not have kicked you out sooner than the agreed 12 months term, but you are also bound by this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

davo10 wrote: »

You agreed to a term of 12 months in your correspondence, you can reassign the lease by getting someone to take over the room, or the LL is allowed to mitigate losses incurred by having to re-let the room.

Not certain. You may have. Even if we saw all the correspondence this would probably be less than unambiguous.

Give as much notice as you can. Inform the landlord that you intend to raise a complaint with the RTB if they refuse to return the deposit and ask them to explain the basis on which they assert an entitlement to retain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

do you rent a room or the whole house?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CorkBoi82

do you rent a room or the whole house?

Just a room. I have been there for 4 months now.

are there other tenants?

• Advertisement

Fian wrote: »
    Not certain. You may have. Even if we saw all the correspondence this would probably be less than unambiguous.

Give as much notice as you can. Inform the landlord that you intend to raise a complaint with the RTB if they refuse to return the deposit and ask them to explain the basis on which they assert an entitlement to retain it.

The tenancy agreement confirms the terms agreed, there is an electronic copy (email) of the fact that the op stated he/she planned to stay for 12 months. That's not ambiguous in any way.

You give as much notice as required.

are there other tenants?

Yes there are a few more students.

aha. Does anyone have a lease with the LL? You would be a licensee anyways - he can't keep your deposit unless you are head tenant and have a 12 month lease agreement.everything else by pm

aha. Does anyone have a lease with the LL? You would be a licensee anyways - he can't keep your deposit unless you are head tenant and have a 12 month lease agreement.everything else by pm

How did you come to that conclusion? Why would the op be a licensee instead of a tenant? He/she dealt directly with the LL rather than another tenant, the LL has the deposit, not the other tenant and the lease was agreed with the LL, not the other tenant, and the LL does not live there.

Also, if the op is a licensee, why wouldn't the LL still be entitled to keep part of the deposit for the very same reasons as a tenancy? If anything, a licensee agreement would give the op less rights and make it more difficult to retrieve the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

CorkBoi82 wrote: »
    I have been renting a room for a few months now, but I will have to be moving out soon. The landlord does not want to give back the deposit unless I stay for a full year.

At the start in the email correspondence I mentioned that I 'planned' to stay for 12 months. The landlord did not say anything about refusing to give back the deposit if I move out earlier than planned. There was no written contract, the house is not owner occupied, also I am a student.

Is there anything I can do in this situation to get my deposit back?

Start an RTB dispute. It will cost €25 but you will likely get some damages for the failure to return the deposit promptly. Tell the LL in advance you plan on going to the RTB. He might see sense.

• Advertisement

Start an RTB dispute. It will cost €25 but you will likely get some damages for the failure to return the deposit promptly. Tell the LL in advance you plan on going to the RTB. He might see sense.

he's got no lease. Afaik no one has a lease and he is NOT the first tenant in the house.He's a licensee. RTB not applicable.

Dear God you are unrelenting, the op just posted that he/she agreed a 12 month term and is moving out shy of that. It is clearly stated that the LL can mitigate loses incurred in finding a new tenant, and as the op's deposit is only part of the total rent/deposit for the property, it isn't that much. You really have to take your finger off the trigger every now and again.

How did you come to that conclusion? Why would the op be a licensee instead of a tenant? He/she dealt directly with the LL rather than another tenant, the LL has the deposit, not the other tenant and the lease was agreed with the LL, not the other tenant, and the LL does not live there.

Also, if the op is a licensee, why wouldn't the LL still be entitled to keep part of the deposit for the very same reasons as a tenancy? If anything, a licensee agreement would give the op less rights and make it more difficult to retrieve the deposit.

Cause there is no lease, he's there 4 month (even if there was a lease unless it's fixed) he could leave in the 4 month, and he's not the only person in the house, neither is he the first renter. LL chancing his arm

he's got no lease. Afaik no one has a lease and he is NOT the first tenant in the house.He's a licensee. RTB not applicable.

He doesn't need a written lease. The LL does not reside there so he is a tenant.

He doesn't need a written lease. The LL does not reside there so he is a tenant.

Thats fine too. without a written lease the tenancy act applies would he be a tenant and he can leave at any point within the first 6 month of the tenancy WITHOUT giving a reason. Happy now?

Tenancy leases do not have to be written, they can be verbal, they can be fixed term or periodic. The op and LL agreed on a 12 month lease, this is the term the op informed the LL he/she planned to stay.

Just because there is no written lease does not constitute a lisencee agreement. Op is sharing a house with other tenants, not subletting or there under lincense of another tenant. If he/she was, the op would be posting that one of the other tenants won't give back the deposit or that LL is living in property.

Thats fine too. without a written lease the tenancy act applies would he be a tenant and he can leave at any point within the first 6 month of the tenancy WITHOUT giving a reason. Happy now?

There is no fixed term as it was never expressly agreed in writing. He never has to give a reason. The first 6 months is only relevant in that Part 4 rights accrue and the landlord can't remove a tenant without reason after 6 months. The tenant can go at any time.

Just because there is no written lease does not constitute a lisencee agreement. Op is sharing a house with other tenants, not subletting or there under lincense of another tenant. If he/she was, the op would be posting that one of the other tenants won't give back the deposit or that LL is living in property.

And thats not what I'm saying. There is however no written lease - as such it can't be proven that the tenant has a 12 month fixed term lease. And, as such, Tenant can leave within the first 6 month without any problem. :D. And, given the fact that it can't even be proven that he is a tenant (as there are others) rather than a licensee (question has anyone else a lease agreement has been unanswered) occupier is allowed to leave without any penalty unless otherwise proven.:-)

There is no fixed term as it was never expressly agreed in writing. He never has to give a reason. The first 6 months is only relevant in that Part 4 rights accrue and the landlord can't remove a tenant without reason after 6 months. The tenant can go at any time.

You do not need to agree a fixed term in writing, it can be verbal. Fixed term or periodic tenancies do not have to be written, but it does clarify matters for both parties.

In this case, from the opening post, the op informed the LL by email that he/she planned to stay for a fixed term, twelve months. That is a fixed term agreement, it does not have to be written, just agreed and the emails show the agreement.

And thats not what I'm saying. There is however no written lease - as such it can't be proven that the tenant has a 12 month fixed term lease. And, as such, Tenant can leave within the first 6 month without any problem. :D. And, given the fact that it can't even be proven that he is a tenant (as there are others) rather than a licensee (question has anyone else a lease agreement has been unanswered) occupier is allowed to leave without any penalty unless otherwise proven.:-)

Have you missed the fact that the op posted that the 12 months is in an email between op and LL?

• Advertisement

You do not need to agree a fixed term in writing, it can be verbal. Fixed term or periodic tenancies do not have to be written, but it does clarify matters for both parties.

In this case, from the opening post, the op informed the LL by email that he/she planned to stay for a fixed term, twelve months. That is a fixed term agreement, it does not have to be written, just agreed and the emails show the agreement.

Leases for longer than 12 months have to be in writing and signed by the party to be charged. The O/p only said he planned to stay. The LL did not reply. That is insufficient to hold the o/p to 12 months.

He is obviously a tenant. He entered his agreement directly with the LL. The status of anyone else in the dwelling is irrelevant. The occupier has to give the statutory notice period. The 6 months is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I'd say if you mention an RTB dispute to him he'll probably desist.

If OP is a licensee how can there be a lease? People on this board say that licensees have no rights and some take a sense of glee and often spout stuff along the lines of "he could change the locks and put your stuff in black bags in the morning and you could do nothing".

If he's a tenant it's debatable there is even a lease agreement in place. Do people really think an email with the phrase "Planning to stay 12 months" really carries weight and forms a binding commitment? Thought the RTB was a pro tenant anti landlord organisation that will always find in a tenant's favour?

Op could have been using the phrase in the context that the LL was using no lease term at all to differentiate him from someone that may have wanted it for two months.

LL is probably pissed he has to fill the room in summer - it's probably student level accommodation - and he probably will find it hard to get someone before September and is trying to coerce OP into staying.

Leases for longer than 12 months have to be in writing and signed by the party to be charged. The O/p only said he planned to stay. The LL did not reply. That is insufficient to hold the o/p to 12 months.

I give up, the op said 12months, not longer than 12 months. You really are stretching things to suit yourself.

I give up, the op said 12months, not longer than 12 months. You really are stretching things to suit yourself.

There was never a concluded agreement about the 12 months. The LL never replied. If the LL wanted to hold the O/P he should have replied making it a condition that the agreement was to be from x date to y date.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭nikkisclearout

There was never a concluded agreement about the 12 months. The LL never replied. If the LL wanted to hold the O/P he should have replied making it a condition that the agreement was to be from x date to y date.

where are you seeing that the landlord never replied?

"At the start in the email correspondence I mentioned that I 'planned' to stay for 12 months. The landlord did not say anything about refusing to give back the deposit if I move out earlier than planned."

Does anyone have a lease with the LL?

Noone in the house has a lease with the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You haven't a leg to stand on OP, mark it down to experience and move on.

where are you seeing that the landlord never replied?

"At the start in the email correspondence I mentioned that I 'planned' to stay for 12 months. The landlord did not say anything about refusing to give back the deposit if I move out earlier than planned."

He didn't reply as regards the 12 months. You will find that if he wanted to sell within the 12 months, he would deny having ever agreed 12 month lease. He can't have his cake and eat it. He is probably not registered with the RTB either. The threat of a case will have him running for cover.

• Advertisement

He didn't reply as regards the 12 months. You will find that if he wanted to sell within the 12 months, he would deny having ever agreed 12 month lease. He can't have his cake and eat it. He is probably not registered with the RTB either. The threat of a case will have him running for cover.

Is the LL selling? You are making this stuff up as you go along. The op clearly stated in his first post that in email correspondence he informed the LL that he planned to stay for 12 months. Can there be any simpler way to put that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement