Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Price Sky?

Options
  • 28-06-2017 1:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there is any special offers or deals going with Sky at the moment.

I got half price Sky last year after reading something here on boards,ie before I actually joined up. It was a friend who showed it to me and inadvertently introduced me to this website at the same time.

My deal is now up and I'm not really interested in paying €56 per month for the reality tv crap that is churned out daily.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Why not buy a FTA combi SAT box for €40 - €80. Unplug the Sky and plug in the combi-box. You will need an aerial for RTE, TV3 etc but the Sky dish wll still provide all the UK FTA channels (BBC, ITV, C4 etc).
    The downside is that you are missing the boxsets (if your into that)
    Sky Now TV option (no contract) may also be an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Doltanian wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is any special offers or deals going with Sky at the moment.

I got half price Sky last year after reading something here on boards,ie before I actually joined up. It was a friend who showed it to me and inadvertently introduced me to this website at the same time.

My deal is now up and I'm not really interested in paying €56 per month for the reality tv crap that is churned out daily.

I cancelled a few months ago and now their ringing me weekly with 40% off offers. I haven't engaged with them but assume you might get half price if you negotiated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

jonnybravo wrote: »
    I cancelled a few months ago and now their ringing me weekly with 40% off offers. I haven't engaged with them but assume you might get half price if you negotiated.

Tried negotiating and they wouldn't budge, so I called their bluff and cancelled. I had the HD channels and really their SD service is not worth paying for. I just find the Recording capability useful. I do not receive Saorview Terrestrial service due to Wind Turbine Interference but have Saorsat which only gives me RTE1 & 2 and TG4. Also my Broadband is not capable of any iptv streaming etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Wind turbine? Is this your own or a commercial venture - If commercial, Do you get any "allowance" for the nuisance/interference? (just nosey :))

Your options are fairly limited, with no saorview and lack of good broadband.
    The Freesat will still work and you will get all the BBCs, ITVs, Chanell 4s, Film 4, Channel 5 etc and a heap of other crap.
    You can also get a freesat box with a record facility (€200+). Some of these even have a menu very similar to Sky. However, IMO they are not as good as the SKY setup, but there is no monthly fee.
    You should be able to get many of the FS channels on the Sky box anyway (google). You can also consider a Freesat card.

Best option might be to continue to use the Sky box as a "freesat" box or invest in a cheap "freesat" box or card and hold tight for a few months to see do Sky come up with an offer.

Or (not sure will this work, have some one else form the house call them and have a Sky account set-up in their name (new customer). May need a different Bank a/c etc

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭thebackbar

Just wondering has anyone come across any deals ? I have fta at the moment, but id like to get sky for the recording facility !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

thebackbar wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone come across any deals ? I have fta at the moment, but id like to get sky for the recording facility !
    They currently have a half price sale

muffler wrote: »
    They currently have a half price sale

i was a bit late picking this deal up, it doesn't seem to be advertised anymore, anyone know if its still available ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

thebackbar wrote: »
    i was a bit late picking this deal up, it doesn't seem to be advertised anymore, anyone know if its still available ?
    I think I read that the deal ended around mid August. The current offers are all listed here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭GavPJ

muffler wrote: »
    I think I read that the deal ended around mid August. The current offers are all listed here :)

There was a leaflet in yesterdays Sunday World advertising the half price offer.

You don't have a scan of it or anything?

• Advertisement

You don't have a scan of it or anything?

I'm afraid not. I threw it in the fire.
    I was supposed to sign up today too.
    Going to phone them when I get a
    minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Just for anyone thinking of ditching Sky altogether... DO IT!

We dropped them over 3 years ago and replaced our sky box with a -> Humax freesat box <- which basically gives you the majority of what you are paying for with the same ability of rewind/record/watch one while recording two others etc.

I only kinda missed the discovery channel shows for a while, but first world problems.

Wouldnt go back to Sky again to be honest... even laughed when i saw a mate had sky one on the last evening and they still play reruns of league of their own/brit cops/ross kemp and animal 999! ffs!

Access wrote: »
    Just for anyone thinking of ditching Sky altogether... DO IT!

We dropped them over 3 years ago and replaced our sky box with a -> Humax freesat box <- which basically gives you the majority of what you are paying for with the same ability of rewind/record/watch one while recording two others etc.

I only kinda missed the discovery channel shows for a while, but first world problems.

Wouldnt go back to Sky again to be honest... even laughed when i saw a mate had sky one on the last evening and they still play reruns of league of their own/brit cops/ross kemp and animal 999! ffs!

Correct me if im wrong but the humax device doesn't support the irish channels ? Having proper pvr functionally for the irish channels is one of the main reasons im getting sky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

thebackbar wrote:
    Correct me if im wrong but the humax device doesn't support the irish channels ? Having proper pvr functionally for the irish channels is one of the main reasons im getting sky

Why do you need pvr for Irish TV is the catch-up online Rte player, tv3 player not adequate?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Does this just work off dish lime sky as my internet not great so IPTV not really an option yet ?

I called up Sky and told them I had cancelled over the summer due to the cost and would they give me the cheapest deal, I got it for €17.70 per month for their most basic package.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Why do you need pvr for Irish TV is the catch-up online Rte player, tv3 player not adequate?

Im not pro sky but I found

* you don't get hd quality with the online playback services.
    * Some of the programmes only stay online for seven days, after that they'er gone
    * Stopping live tv isn't as easy ( i could be wrong on this )
    * Not all programmes were accessible on the playback service. This could of changed

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I cancelled Sky and bought a Humax freesat box, you get about a 100 channels including BBC ITV etc. No fees and you can record and pause or rewind same as SKY

DanWall wrote: »
    I cancelled Sky and bought a Humax freesat box, you get about a 100 channels including BBC ITV etc. No fees and you can record and pause or rewind same as SKY
    Yes, but it doesn't support the irish channels, pls correct me if im wrong here.

I called up Sky and told them I had cancelled over the summer due to the cost and would they give me the cheapest deal, I got it for €17.70 per month for their most basic package.

Really????????? I called them last Monday to ask would they still honour the half price sale seeing that the leaflet was still in the paper. They said they would if I signed up straight away.
    They were to call me back that eve when I have my bank details etc. Never heard a thing from them. Might call them today to complain and see will the do me the same deal.
    I was gonna go down the Saorview route but would rather pay €17 a month instead of messing about with aerials and dishes.

• Advertisement

GavPJ wrote: »
    Really????????? I called them last Monday to ask would they still honour the half price sale seeing that the leaflet was still in the paper. They said they would if I signed up straight away.
    They were to call me back that eve when I have my bank details etc. Never heard a thing from them. Might call them today to complain and see will the do me the same deal.
    I was gonna go down the Saorview route but would rather pay €17 a month instead of messing about with aerials and dishes.

go to switcher.ie/broadband/providers/sky/#/bundle_type=tv_only and there is a deal for 19 euro a month

A brilliant solution I agree but I don't have Saorview where I live and I find Saorsat to be total waste of time. Also there doesn't seem to be a nice easy to use PVR on the market for either Saorview or Saorsat so the need for RTE and a recording box drove me back to $ky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

Can you post up the model of Humax Box that you have or send me on a link to the box.

Advertisement