Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period on death of tenant?

Options
  • 28-06-2017 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭

Been googling without success, and cannot find a definitive answer.

Does anyone know the law on the requirements for giving notice to end a tenancy when the tenant dies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

schmittel wrote: »
    Been googling without success, and cannot find a definitive answer.

Does anyone know the law on the requirements for giving notice to end a tenancy when the tenant dies?

Am I missing something? Surely when a tenant dies, the tenancy no longer exists? :confused:

I assume you are referring to having the place emptied out by the estate so that the property can be let out again?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Did the tenant have anyone living with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stuff would have to be put into storage or contact the immediate family and see what they want done with it.

Tenancy no longer exists as mentioned above.

You would have to give reasonable time for personal affects to be collected.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭hometruths

It was a Part 4 tenancy, tenant lived alone.

Under normal circumstances there is a required notice period for tenant to give landlord, but obviously in this case that was not possible.

So the question is do the legal reps of the tenant have to give notice to the landlord and if so how long?

• Advertisement

Under normal circumstances there is a required notice period for tenant to give landlord, but obviously in this case that was not possible.

So the question is do the legal reps of the tenant have to give notice to the landlord and if so how long?

No unless others were living with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

You are joking and this is a troll I hope.

So you expect executor on behalf of tenant to pay rent in lieu because tenant didn't give notice that they were going to die!

Please tell me I'm wrong and misread the OP

And I guess you want to take a case for non payment of rent if executor doesn't pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I imagine the notice period begins from the day the landlord receives notification of the tenants death (might need to be in writing). I don't know if this notice period is a fixed amount due to the circumstances, or if the notice period is based on the contract or how long the tenant was renting the property. The estate should be responsible for paying all rent during the notice period.

Not a nice situation to be in for any involved. Do you have any contact details for next of kin to organize removal of property etc?

So you expect executor on behalf of tenant to pay rent in lieu because tenant didn't give notice that they were going to die!

And I guess you want to take a case for non payment of rent if executor doesn't pay.

You misread the OP. I am the tenant's son, not the landlord. The landlord is peeved he wasn't given notice.

Putting aside his lack of sympathy, what I want to know is if legally he has any right to expect a notice period from the tenant's estate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What notice could legal reps possibly give? They already know the tenant has died.
    They just need to give you a chance to clear out the person's property - I think a few weeks' would be reasonable.

ETA: very sorry for your loss, OP.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

The op didn't expect notice that they were going to die... that's quite obvious I would have thought.

However, landlord is running a business and not a charity. If payments are due, they should be paid.

You misread the OP. I am the tenant's son, not the landlord. The landlord is peeved he wasn't given notice.

Putting aside his lack of sympathy, what I want to know is if legally he has any right to expect a notice period from the tenant's estate.

Sorry for your loss.

Contact citizens information to find out what you need to do in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

The landlord is peeved he wasn't given notice.

I know this is not what you want to hear. But at the end of the day, being a landlord is a business. He has bills to pay, taxes to pay, mortgages, etc. You can only be so sympathy, when you have you have asset lying idle with no money come in on it and the bills piling up.

IMO you should really be into the property ASAP to clear out your family members property. You can rent a garage or a storage unit to store the property until the estate is divided/until you decide what to do with the property.

NY Times generally has good info on this type of stuff. NY which is very tenant friendly, appears to allow the landlord to collect rent from the estate until the property is empty. NY Times says you should empty the property ASAP.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/22/realestate/when-a-tenant-living-alone-dies.html

A loss of a family member is very unfortunate. But you can't expect a business to go without payment over it

I know this is not what you want to hear. But at the end of the day, being a landlord is a business. He has bills to pay, taxes to pay, mortgages, etc. You can only be so sympathy, when you have you have asset lying idle with no money come in on it and the bills piling up.

IMO you should really be into the property ASAP to clear out your family members property. You can rent a garage or a storage unit to store the property until the estate is divided/until you decide what to do with the property.

NY Times generally has good info on this type of stuff. NY which is very tenant friendly, appears to allow the landlord to collect rent from the estate until the property is empty. NY Times says you should empty the property ASAP.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/22/realestate/when-a-tenant-living-alone-dies.html

A loss of a family member is very unfortunate. But you can't expect a business to go without payment over it

I'm not looking for sympathy or what I want to hear, I am trying to find out what the law is!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry to hear your father died. If there is a solicitor dealing with the estate, perhaps discuss it with them.

I'm not sure that the situation is fully considered in legislation. However, the tenant being deceased terminates the contract. It is difficult to see how the landlord can retrieve money beyond the date to which rent was paid. It would be harsh and likely improper for the landlord to use any deposit in lieu of notice. While the landlord might make a claim against the estate, that is the furthest they can go.

Certainly, I think the landlord would be entitled to payment form the estate while the deceased's possessions are in the property.

you might ask the landlord for a copy of the lease and list of contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

The op didn't expect notice that they were going to die... that's quite obvious I would have thought.

However, landlord is running a business and not a charity. If payments are due, they should be paid.
    :mad: how far do some Ll go? the Tenant died. You're dealing with a mourning son. let it go. Canb't be that much. Dinity is worth a lot m ore. Jayes I would love to start a name and shame page for greedy landlords (and bad tenants)

For clarification, flat is empty and dealt with. This happened a few months ago and just dealing with the fallout now. Wasn't really able for the details back then, that is when I was looking for sympathy. Now I am just trying to tidy up loose ends.

Rent paid by DD every month on 15th. Tenant died on 17th. Landlord informed of death on 19th. First conversation about handover of flat took place on 28th. Flat handed back on 15th of following month having been emptied and tidied.

So in terms of rent LL is not out of pocket. We are now trying to retrieve deposit.

My position is a dead guy cannot give notice, and we should have full deposit back.
    LLs position is he should have rent paid up to 28th - i.e the notice period.

Who is right in eyes of law?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

For clarification, flat is empty and dealt with. This happened a few months ago and just dealing with the fallout now. Wasn't really able for the details back then, that is when I was looking for sympathy. Now I am just trying to tidy up loose ends.

Rent paid by DD every month on 15th. Tenant died on 17th. Landlord informed of death on 19th. First conversation about handover of flat took place on 28th. Flat handed back on 15th of following month having been emptied and tidied.

So in terms of rent LL is not out of pocket. We are now trying to retrieve deposit.

My position is a dead guy cannot give notice, and we should have full deposit back.

In effect, notice has been given when informing Ll of the death. Get the case to the Tenancy board pronto.Don't deal with this person anymore in any shape or form, this is ridicolous. Leave it to the board

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The Estate of the person is responsible for Bills

Any outstanding bills should be sent to solicitor dealing with estate matters - I assume earlier rent due would be considered the same.

In the UK a lease does not automatically end with the death of a tenant and usually an agremeent is reached with estate for a period (usually 30 days) to finalise matters/remove belongings etc. A solicitor should be able to tell you the position here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The Residential Tenancy Act, Section 39 says the tenancy is terminated on the tenant's death. There is no notice period, the tenancy is terminated automatically.

If we're talking about how long the estate should be given to move out of the property, that's a different question and one that's not covered in the RTA. Whether rent is payable in this instance is one for the lawyers, can rent be charged when the tenancy is legally terminated?

Edit: rent was paid for the period up to the possessions being removed. The landlord doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.

• Advertisement

To be honest 1st post was extremely unclear.

Very sorry to hear of your loss and understand its a hard time.

Honestly get everything out let ll know and wash your hands of them.

They should really be more understanding.

If there are bills outstanding contact providers and close the account.

I would suggest also taking photos of likes of ESB meter and gas if there and everything else at the property just in case they ever tried to chase for costs and so on.

The LL will only waste a ton of money trying to chase for rent or a notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Outstanding debt always come out of the estate. When you die, your outstanding liabilities are generally outstanding and come out of the estate.

Generally rent has to be paid until the keys are returned when someone is living. I don't see why it should be different when someone passes.

Your relatives estate was still benefiting from the property when they passed. I don't see why they should get a deposit back from the 28th, as the property was not returned to the landlord until the keys were handed back on the 15th.

As linked in the article in NY City, the estate is liable for rents until the property is handed back. I don't see why this is any different here.

I don't how you would address this with the RTB even

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

feargale wrote: »
    Perhaps you should now respond to post 10.

To be fair, I read the OP in exactly the same way. It was very vague. But it's been cleared up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

:mad: how far do some Ll go? the Tenant died. You're dealing with a mourning son. let it go. Canb't be that much. Dinity is worth a lot m ore. Jayes I would love to start a name and shame page for greedy landlords (and bad tenants)

The only person the LL should be dealing with is the executor of the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

try telling a credit company to back off when someone dies....they'll tell you to get lost, believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Outstanding debt always come out of the estate. When you die, your outstanding liabilities are generally outstanding and come out of the estate.

Generally rent has to be paid until the keys are returned when someone is living. I don't see why it should be different when someone passes.

Your relatives estate was still benefiting from the property when they passed. I don't see why they should get a deposit back from the 28th, as the property was not returned to the landlord until the keys were handed back on the 15th.

As linked in the article in NY City, the estate is liable for rents until the property is handed back. I don't see why this is any different here.

I don't how you would address this with the RTB even

the LL was paid up until the 15th. why would they expect to be paid beyond this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

OP I apologise as I had misread your OP as you were the landlord. I'm also sorry for your loss. I wasn't able to respond earlier to correct myself. Hopefully you've found the answer you needed. As a landlord I'd suggest you Ignore those posters who said the landlord is running a business not a charity and also those that quoted U.K. Or nytimes as they are misinformed. It's clear that all obligations had been met up to date you removed your dads possessions. Hopefully the landlord sees sense returns deposit and doesn't make this time any more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Probably because we're not in NY, but in Ireland, and Irish law applies.

As has been stated -

The Residential Tenancy Act, Section 39 says the tenancy is terminated on the tenant's death. There is no notice period, the tenancy is terminated automatically.

Thanks to Higgins we now know the rules here, but your personal opinion on the matter has no bearing on how one runs a business. If there was money owed, the LL should rightfully seek payment. The bank are not going to waiver the LL's mortgage payment because his tenant died. You don't know the LL's position and to blindly suggest he waives any remaining payments is very naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Paulw wrote: »
    As has been stated -

How exactly does that work? If the tenancy is over, then surely the executor doesn't have any actual right to access the property to remove the deceased's belongings. Is it up to the landlord and the executor to come up with a mutual agreement of how it will be handled, and when the property will be returned?

Advertisement