Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring race entries

Options
  • 28-06-2017 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

I think there should be a system whereby entries can be refunded or deferred a little bit easier for triathletes.

Races can be quite expensive and legitimate reasons crop up, illness injury.

I'd happlily pay an extra €5 per race for some kind of insurance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

In many instances they will have already committed the numbers to the timing companies, the goodie bag costs, insurance, TI's cut of the entry fee or whatever company they are using.

It also can cause a headache to organizing committee who largely will be doing this as a volunteer basis and not receive any thanks for it.

A lot of races will allow transfers or cancellations up until a certain date which is normally the date that they commit to the their other expenses mentioned above.

I know its a pain and have been very grateful of some races refunding me with enough notice when I was out injured but not all were able to. That is the break unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭shansey

Ah I know, and I'm prob just feeling hard done by not being able to race/train at the minute.

But I definitely think its something that could be improved on in future for everyones benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

A partial refund or something could perhaps be done in some instances? Allow the organizers to cover costs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Some races do defer but in my experience it tends to be ones organised by a club. Not all club races do though. It can be an overhead volunteers can do without in the lead up to a race.

Given the price of races I tend to not enter races too far in advance unless it's an IM. With potential for illness, kids activities clashing, etc., it's just too expensive.

Hope you get over the chest infection soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pgibbo wrote: »
    Given the price of races I tend to not enter races too far in advance unless it's an IM. With potential for illness, kids activities clashing, etc., it's just too expensive.

Yep, this is me. I stopped entering run races years ago because I was sick regularly at the time and I could wake up race morning being very ill with no warning...so only did ones I could enter on the day.
    Barely race now at all for much the same reason in that you don't know what is going to crop up with work / life etc and tris are so expensive to enter, even not doing one you have entered is a fair chunk of change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement