Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catríona Perry and the wink..

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Gavan Reilly outed himself as a prize snowflake.

IMG_9902.png

The term 'creepy' has lost all meaning at this stage..... given the kind of innocuous nonsense which is regularly labelled as such these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Rikand wrote: »
    She's very well put together it has to be said

She's married-g'way. :D

She is easy on the eye, but she can be a tad annoying-she was so pro-hillary she missed the massive warning signs-ya know, the ones' that indicated Hillary was a goner.
    Then when Trump won...oh dear.

The Waterford Whispers article is scarily accurate. Wasn't it the indo that had a picture of Perry looking glam? You know, just to counter the 'objectification' thing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/twitter-sufficiently-drags-trump-for-commenting-on-irish-reporters-smile_us_5953c93ee4b02734df2f257f?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Oh God-it's gone international...fudge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ligerdub wrote: »
    He's another gob****e. A white knight.
    .../...
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    None of the above, he's actually quite an intelligent and insightful journalist.

Welcome one and all to the interwebs bifurcated opinion of today, where the middle ground has all but disappeared. :D

ligerdub wrote:
    I recall him stating that the first thing he thought of when Pitt and Jolie were divorcing were their kids......what bollox that is!
    I would struggle to care less about multimillionaires I don't know, but if any of my mates with kids were splitting up, one of the first things I'd think of would be how is this going to impact their kids. And I'm hardly a "white knight", thought be fair I am a bit of a bollocks and talk same on the regular.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Wibbs wrote:
    I would struggle to care less about multimillionaires I don't know, but if any of my mates with kids were splitting up, one of the first things I'd think of would be how is this going to impact their kids. And I'm hardly a "white knight", thought be fair I am a bit of a bollocks and talk same on the regular.

Yes, as would I, but that's for friends.

Women do like to be complemented at anytime i've noticed.

Most people like compliments, but there is a time & place for them.
    This wasn't the time or place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I recall him stating that the first thing he thought of when Pitt and Jolie were divorcing were their kids......what bollox that is!

Isn't that what most people tend to say as a matter of routine when a couple with children break up?

Hardly evidence of anything at all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Manach wrote: »
    Well this seems to the usual fodder for those who enjoy getting offended on behalf of others.

Good call

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/creepiness-in-action-women-need-to-call-out-this-behaviour-1.3137753

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

newport2 wrote: »

She he needs a good kick in her feminist goolies...doing women no favours there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Perry dealt with it in the only way she could, that delicate balance women automatically have to strike in these situations - half humouring someone and half asserting oneself in an impossibly awkward moment.

When the balance of power is so heavily weighted towards one side, what are you meant to do? Women know what this feels like, and it’s often impossible to think quickly enough, or “cause a scene”. We know how to deal with these kinds of situations. We smile and get the hell out of there.

Doolally is beating that drum again, with a heart and a half.

You don't have to cause a scene if somebody thinks that they can summon you into their presence. If somebody asks you to come over, there is nothing wrong with 'No thanks, I'm okay where I am.'

This suggestion that a scene would have to be made to avoid it is silly.

Perry went over to Trump. So what. She could have politely declined but she probably didn't think of that at the time.

In any event, it is a non story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Ah lads, can we name who the author is when linking to articles, I never would have clicked that if I knew it was a Doolally piece.
    Perry dealt with it in the only way she could, that delicate balance women automatically have to strike in these situations - half humouring someone and half asserting oneself in an impossibly awkward moment.

When the balance of power is so heavily weighted towards one side, what are you meant to do? Women know what this feels like, and it’s often impossible to think quickly enough, or “cause a scene”. We know how to deal with these kinds of situations. We smile and get the hell out of there.

You don't have to cause a scene if somebody thinks that they can summon you into their presence. If somebody asks you to come over, there is nothing wrong with 'No thanks, I'm okay where I am.'

Perry went over to Trump. So what. She could have politely declined but she probably didn't think of that at the time.

I'd be willing to bet good money that most men in the same position as Perry found herself would have reacted much the same way, half humoured Trump, smiled and got the hell out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Some reporter called Lise Hand (nope never heard of her either) was on Matt Coopers show wailing and whinging about this as well, of course Cooper lapped it up because he hates Trump as well but he got a bit of a shock when listeners started to text in and pretty much told the two of them to get a grip.

Some reporter called Lise Hand (nope never heard of her either) was on Matt Coopers show wailing and whinging about this as well, of course Cooper lapped it up because he hates Trump as well but he got a bit of a shock when listeners started to text in and pretty much told the two of them to get a grip.

Was she on that yesterday too?

I caught a bit of that show on the way home from work. She was talking about Big Brother and how violence broke out as a result of "toxic masculinity" in the house. Not only was this a phrase which is churned out as fact for no good reason, but the violence involved one guy and about 4 women!

I caught a bit of that show on the way home from work. She was talking about Big Brother and how violence broke out as a result of "toxic masculinity" in the house. Not only was this a phrase which is churned out as fact for no good reason, but the violence involved one guy and about 4 women!

These were the usual types who were 'silent' when one half of jedward was sexually assaulted on live tv, by a woman-despite him clearly saying 'stop'.

Probably still raging she can't get a gig on Seoige and O'Shea.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/lise-hand-how-women-can-prevent-us-from-being-manhandled-again-26639209.html

One of her articles-the usual 'manhandling' and 'this is why men don't get an international men's day' claptrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Rikand wrote: »
    She's very well put together it has to be said

Goofy. She's very... Goofy. Simpsons' overbite sort of way.

She is polished in her appearance, yes. In a newsreader sort of way. A gym bunny, no doubt too. But seriously ordinary. I suppose that could be construed as being well put together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Goofy. She's very... Goofy. Simpsons' overbite sort of way.

She is polished in her appearance, yes. In a newsreader sort of way. A gym bunny, no doubt too. But seriously ordinary. I suppose that could be construed as being well put together.

she has a bit a rabbit face

nice bod though

• Advertisement

Yesterday was the first day I heard her on about it but maybe she was on the day before as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

the real shame of that was cooper can be a decent journo when he wants to be . but he loves playing that "right-on" card which is pitiful

arayess wrote: »
    the real shame of that was cooper can be a decent journo when he wants to be . but he loves playing that "right-on" card which is pitiful

He is a good interviewer but he let's his hatred of Trump take over whenever anything about the guy comes up, he's also a liberal leftie which doesn't help either when it comes to being impartial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Ah yeah, because Trump's penchant for unpredictable behaviour would have played no factor whatsoever? Not to mention that he is the POTUS, it's a live broadcast from the Oval Office, and he's speaking to the Irish head of state. Pull the other one.

If she had refused, the media most likely would have made it a scene by creating a female standing up to Trump narrative, which would then have been combatted in a thread here by the usual defend Trump against the media/snowflakes/feminists narrative. Unlike Trump, it's entirely predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Ah lads, can we name who the author is when linking to articles, I never would have clicked that if I knew it was a Doolally piece.

I'd be willing to bet good money that most men in the same position as Perry found herself would have reacted much the same way, half humoured Trump, smiled and got the hell out of there.

Most men would be familiar with a similar situation, but with the threat of physical violence instead. The Begbie from Trainspotting type.

• Advertisement

Tbh, the more I look at it, the more I see someone who's all huff no puff-Perry I mean.
    She has this whole hatred of Trump, and yet when push came to shove, she did the simpering thing most of these types do.

Hence you get Doolally and company coming out with 'excuses'.

Tbh, the more I look at it, the more I see someone who's all huff no puff-Perry I mean.
    She has this whole hatred of Trump, and yet when push came to shove, she did the simpering thing most of these types do.

This is exactly it.

The CNN wrestling tweet is just like this. Telling people to pick the right things to focus on is greeted with a chorus of "it's possible to focus on more than one thing!" but it isn't. He's getting away **** because of this lack of focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

This is exactly it.
    Women cannot win, can they? She acted in her own best interest career wise by behaving the way she did. That does not mean she thinks it was proper behaviour by Trump (who knows what she thinks though?), and it's perfectly valid for journalists to criticise the behaviour of the President, whether they are right or wrong. It's their job.

Women cannot win, can they? She acted in her own best interest career wise by behaving the way she did. That does not mean she thinks it was proper behaviour by Trump (who knows what she thinks though?), and it's perfectly valid for journalists to criticise the behaviour of the President, whether they are right or wrong. It's their job.

Women can win-but I'm not critiquing her as a woman, her gender means nothing to me-Charlie Bird often got called out for his inept 'in the battlezone' reports where he was often miles away from any conflict. Her and Bird are these 'types'-the types I was referring to.
    Doolally made it a gender issue.

If you want to see a reporter, nay, a woman winning, not holding back-kicking butt and taking names, then look at Carol Coleman.

Perry should take note-this was a masterclass, by Coleman, in sticking to your guns. Not doing a 'I'm gonna tell my gal pals about this on twitter'.

lawred2 wrote: »
    she has a bit a rabbit face

nice bod though

A butterface*, to be sure.

*Everything about her's nice, but-her-face.

(Oh, and holding my hand up now and admitting I'm no picasso painting).

Advertisement