Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for info on how public order fines work

• 28-06-2017 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there everyone, I was just wondering if anybody could give me some advice and peace of mind on a quick question please.
    Basically, last Saturday night I was arrested for 30 minutes. I was far too drunk and admittedly acting the bollocks in public. While in the station prior to being placed in a cell for the small time period stated, the garda mentioned that I would receive a fine of 80 euro, I believe he said, for my actions. I was later released without problem and let go without any notice or anything like that.
    So my question is, how long does a garda have to notify me that I will need to pay a fine if I must? I assume it would obviously come in the post. And secondly I was just wondering how long it usually takes for people to receive a notification of the fine, if anybody has any idea on that, no worries if not though!
    If anybody has any info for me I'd really appreciate it because I am currently very worried about having to pay this fine and am hoping that I will be lucky enough this one (and only!) Time. Thank you very much in advance for any help guys!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

mpiwp wrote: »
    Hi there everyone, I was just wondering if anybody could give me some advice and peace of mind on a quick question please.
    Basically, last Saturday night I was arrested for 30 minutes. I was far too drunk and admittedly acting the bollocks in public. While in the station prior to being placed in a cell for the small time period stated, the garda mentioned that I would receive a fine of 80 euro, I believe he said, for my actions. I was later released without problem and let go without any notice or anything like that.
    So my question is, how long does a garda have to notify me that I will need to pay a fine if I must? I assume it would obviously come in the post. And secondly I was just wondering how long it usually takes for people to receive a notification of the fine, if anybody has any idea on that, no worries if not though!
    If anybody has any info for me I'd really appreciate it because I am currently very worried about having to pay this fine and am hoping that I will be lucky enough this one (and only!) Time. Thank you very much in advance for any help guys!

The guard has six months to apply for a summons. It might not be issued until some time after thant and not get to court for longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can a fixed charge notice be issued for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You can get a fixed charge notice for intoxication in a public place ( €100) or for disorderly conduct in a public place ( €140). The OP isn't specific about what happened on the night, but from his general description those both sound like offences that might have been committed.

Advertisement