Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chrome cast

Options
  • 28-06-2017 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Got my first android phone this week, a galaxy s7. Bought a chrome cast thingy today but can't get anything to play. It's connected to the Tv but won't play something downloaded to the phone. I used allcast to play movie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Have you set it up on the local wifi?

When you open the google home app on your android device, does the chromecast show up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Got my first android phone this week, a galaxy s7. Bought a chrome cast thingy today but can't get anything to play. It's connected to the Tv but won't play something downloaded to the phone. I used allcast to play movie.

You can cast screen to play what's being played on your phone on the tv.

If you wish to be able to use your phone while casting you will need to use an app with casting ability like Netflix

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Do you have the Google Home app installed pin your phone? If so, are you connected to device when you open it?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

I set it up on wifi and a pin came up on the screen. Then I played a movie using all cast and screen is just black. Won't even play on the phone. When I used phone player it works fine.

Is there certain files/app movies won't play from?

I set it up on wifi and a pin came up on the screen. Then I played a movie using all cast and screen is just black. Won't even play on the phone. When I used phone player it works fine.

Is there certain files/app movies won't play from?

YouTube is the only app that works. Is ALLCAST the only option to play other apps ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

YouTube is the only app that works. Is ALLCAST the only option to play other apps ?

I'm not sure what's going on, I use my Chromecast to stream video files from KODI addons using localcast (although not all files are compatible), Netflix also works as does other apps like All4.

You should not have to enter a pin to play if it's set up correctly and you are on the same Wifi as the Chromecast. I use localcast for playing offline videos stored on the device, although i have used allcast previously and it worked fine.

Some files will not be compatible but an error screen usually comes up if this happens. try closing everything and connecting again, i have noticed that Chromecast can get a liitle dodgy at times and requires a reboot.

U_Fig wrote: »
    I'm not sure what's going on, I use my Chromecast to stream video files from KODI addons using localcast (although not all files are compatible), Netflix also works as does other apps like All4.

You should not have to enter a pin to play if it's set up correctly and you are on the same Wifi as the Chromecast. I use localcast for playing offline videos stored on the device, although i have used allcast previously and it worked fine.

Some files will not be compatible but an error screen usually comes up if this happens. try closing everything and connecting again, i have noticed that Chromecast can get a liitle dodgy at times and requires a reboot.

I downloaded localcast and it plays the downloaded movies perfect. I can stream on the phone but keeps saying connecting when I try to connect to chromecast. Does it use the internet to connect to each other could this be my issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I downloaded localcast and it plays the downloaded movies perfect. I can stream on the phone but keeps saying connecting when I try to connect to chromecast. Does it use the internet to connect to each other could this be my issue?

Yes the phone and Chromecast should be both connected to the same network as far as i know it needs to have internet access too to work.

Are you using your phones hotspot to connect the Chromecast to the internet, as this will not work (i think there is actually a way to get it working like this but i am not aware of the process)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

There are also some file formats the chrome cast wont play, mkv being 1 , I dont know all of them but i do remember trying to play an mkv file and it was all sound and no picture , I had an app that converted them on the fly before streaming to chrome cast but this also made my phone unusable for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mightyreds wrote: »
    There are also some file formats the chrome cast wont play, mkv being 1 , I dont know all of them but i do remember trying to play an mkv file and it was all sound and no picture , I had an app that converted them on the fly before streaming to chrome cast but this also made my phone unusable for anything else.

MKV is just a container.

Its some codecs inside that container that may be incompatible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

ED E wrote: »
    MKV is just a container.

Its some codecs inside that container that may be incompatible.

Yeah I've no idea about video formats just repeating which files I had trouble with

Advertisement