Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any decent locations in Dublin city centre to carry out private English lessons?

Options
  • 28-06-2017 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I'm an English language teacher based in Dublin and have some private one-to-one lessons lined up for the next couple of months, but I'm struggling to find a suitable location in the city centre to carry out the lessons. A quiet pub/cafe that we can sit in undisturbed for about an hour would be nice. Does anyone have any experience with this or any recommendations? Would really appreciate any input :)

Obviously my apartment would be ideal but that's not a possibility at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

What about one of the libraries? Ilac centre or Pearse St either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rent a room in a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Thrillhouse11

What about one of the libraries? Ilac centre or Pearse St either.

I was considering maybe the library in the Ilac but is it possible to have a conversation there without being shushed?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Accents is good for letting you hang out for as long as you need , can be busy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Try a co-sharing office that has meeting rooms that can be booked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

They're open until 8pm tonight, go for a look around.

Last few libraries I've been in haven't been quiet zones, librarian told me that went out with the flood when I was shushing the kids.

spurious wrote: »
    Rent a room in a school.

I work in a school and they don't really allow the rooms to be used independently for privates. I'd try elsewhere but I'd rather not spend more than the price of a cup of coffee to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some schools do. A friend of mine was quoted 25 euro for the hour. Worth asking anyway.
    Much more professional than holding classes in a coffee shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

spurious wrote: »
    Some schools do. A friend of mine was quoted 25 euro for the hour. Worth asking anyway.
    Much more professional than holding classes in a coffee shop.

This ^^ You've got to spend money to make money. There's no guarantee that a coffee shop will be quiet, with available seating, no shouty people or crying babies nearby, etc. The more professional a setup you provide, the more seriously your clients will take you. Just holding casual meetups in a pub or cafe may inadvertently end up in clients not taking it seriously, last minute cancellations (on their part), etc.

cactusgal wrote: »
    This ^^ You've got to spend money to make money. There's no guarantee that a coffee shop will be quiet, with available seating, no shouty people or crying babies nearby, etc. The more professional a setup you provide, the more seriously your clients will take you. Just holding casual meetups in a pub or cafe may inadvertently end up in clients not taking it seriously, last minute cancellations (on their part), etc.

I see where you're coming from but I can't justify spending as much to rent the room as I'd be making from the lesson itself. And I'm not too worried about appearing unprofessional, these are students who know me from classes I've taught and they take me seriously enough to request the lessons in the first place. And I have a strict enough cancellation policy.

I hear what you're saying about noise and seating though, I'm hoping to have a few options to choose from in case something doesn't work out. Right now the Ilac library and the CHQ seem to be my best options.

• Advertisement
Advertisement