Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuter town suggestions?

• 28-06-2017 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,

My husband and I are moving to the Dublin area in September, as he has a new job in the IFSC. We're currently trying to narrow down places to live and somewhere on the DART line seems like the obvious choice, because Connolly is close to his office. We'd all but discounted the west, but now I'm wondering if we're missing a trick, as I keep seeing nice houses on Daft in Kildare, and it looks as though we'd get more for our money. How complicated/long a commute are we talking, and could anyone suggest any nice villagey sorts of places for me to look at? We'd like to spend no more than €2700 in rent per month for at least three bedrooms.

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

MaloryB wrote: »
    Hi all,

My husband and I are moving to the Dublin area in September, as he has a new job in the IFSC. We're currently trying to narrow down places to live and somewhere on the DART line seems like the obvious choice, because Connolly is close to his office. We'd all but discounted the west, but now I'm wondering if we're missing a trick, as I keep seeing nice houses on Daft in Kildare, and it looks as though we'd get more for our money. How complicated/long a commute are we talking, and could anyone suggest any nice villagey sorts of places for me to look at? We'd like to spend no more than €2700 in rent per month for at least three bedrooms.

Thanks a million!

Anywhere along the Sligo train line will work. It takes 40 mins from maynooth into Connelly IIRC. Along the way in you have Leixlip, Clonsilla and Castleknock... All of which are probably 5 minutes less on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MaloryB

Great, thank you. Any chance you could give me a brief rundown of what those places are like? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Are you looking for schools too?

We have a baby so will be one day, and are ideally looking to rent where we'd end up buying so it's definitely relevant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Then Ongar / hansfield would be good for you too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,770 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MaloryB wrote:
    We have a baby so will be one day, and are ideally looking to rent where we'd end up buying so it's definitely relevant!

I had all my children on the waiting list for our preferred primary school (a highly rated Educate Together school in Lucan) as soon as I had their birth certificates. No joking. You better look into it sooner than later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

unkel wrote: »
    I had all my children on the waiting list for our preferred primary school (a highly rated Educate Together school in Lucan) as soon as I had their birth certificates. No joking. You better look into it sooner than later!

Which one is that? And did they get in? My wife is of the understanding that, as there are several Educate Together schools in Lucan, you register your interest for Educate Together generally and you get assigned one of the schools randomly. Rather than apply to a specific school. Baby on the way in December and it's not something I considered having to think about right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Sallins / Naas - trains are in short hop zone and several trains go via phoenix park tunnel to connolly and grand canal dock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Which one is that? And did they get in? My wife is of the understanding that, as there are several Educate Together schools in Lucan, you register your interest for Educate Together generally and you get assigned one of the schools randomly. Rather than apply to a specific school. Baby on the way in December and it's not something I considered having to think about right away.

There is a common enrolment system for four of the five ET schools in Lucan. They don't accept applications until the October prior to the year of entry. No guarantee of a place if it's oversubscribed though.

The fifth school still operates its own enrolment policy and accepts names from birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,770 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They all got in, but one of them only because a child moved house and got pulled out of the school. We heard the good news the day before school started!

• Advertisement

Thanks all. With regard to the schools, someone said elsewhere that as long as you're in the catchment area they are pretty much guaranteed a place? I'm not likely to get hung up on a specific school I don't think- my husband and I both went to really crappy state schools and ended up at Oxford so think it has more to do with a child's own motivation and aspirations- but don't want to have a really long school run to contend with if I'm back at work

Advertisement