Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Trainee November 2017 intake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 billymul10

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Might as well park myself here

Do u mins me asking when u did ure physical and are u part of the September 2016 batch!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭damob1995

i wouldnt take your order of merit into account that much, vetting is the main thing that stands for you getting in, the sooner your vetting is complete the sooner your in, oom for the last few intakes are all over the place and it again backs my point about getting the vetting complete

• Registered Users Posts: 40 alanmacklin

vetting completed and signed off a few weeks before the last offers so hoping for November. The blind waiting is the worst part id rather be told when im going in even if its next year so id have something to plan for.

Your more then likely set for November so, just waiting for my physical and super/sergeant meetings hoping for november but again will all depend on my vetting

i had my meeting with the super 3 weeks before my pct which was at the start of march. physical and super will be over quick enough. you should call about the vetting they can tell you when it was done if it is done.

ya hoping to get the physical done before the end of august if that goes to plan aswell as getting vetting and signed off on time i might make it for november. are you jan 16?

September 16

same as myself still seems to be a few from jan left but seen if the last thread people from sept 16 got called a good few by the looks of it aswell so good hope for us, when i went down to templemore about a month ago one of the instructors was saying there was going to be another intake in september aswell not 100% about it but thats what they were saying

i was told that there would be an intake in june when i done my pct. i dont think the half of them have a clue tbh.

• Advertisement

haha id say your right id say they were mixing september up with november

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

i was told that there would be an intake in june when i done my pct. i dont think the half of them have a clue tbh.

True, guys, to be honest, the questions asked in the Dáil are on record and for that reason are usually 99% correct. Therefore, the intakes listed for 2017 are March, August and November. With offers out the previous 4 weeks before this.

I highly doubt there will be changes to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Has anybody experience with getting signed off after having the laser surgery done by the CMO?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Damo1988

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Has anybody experience with getting signed off after having the laser surgery done by the CMO?
    I got signed off there last week. Just get a signed letter from your surgeon and sent it up to the medical department

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Ill be doing the fitness test tomorrow with a bad cough and sore knee.

There'll be tears at the end of it ha :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mutter_man

Ill be doing the fitness test tomorrow with a bad cough and sore knee.

There'll be tears at the end of it ha :pac::pac::pac:

Today get your knee ice compression every few hours for 20 minutes a pop and keep it elevated much as you can. Might as well try and help it if at all possible. Tomorrow, be bloody minded and don't stop till someone says so ;)

• Advertisement

mutter_man wrote: »
    Today get your knee ice compression every few hours for 20 minutes a pop and keep it elevated much as you can. Might as well try and help it if at all possible. Tomorrow, be bloody minded and don't stop till someone says so ;)

Yeah have it well iced!

I wont stop till i fall down! As long as I'm extremely cautious about which foot I pivot on during the beep test I should be grand

Yeah have it well iced!

I wont stop till i fall down! As long as I'm extremely cautious about which foot I pivot on during the beep test I should be grand

Good way to look at it, keep everything exact and you'll be fine. My knee was shot the day before as well but had it in survivable order come the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

mutter_man wrote: »
    Yeah have it well iced!

Good way to look at it, keep everything exact and you'll be fine. My knee was shot the day before as well but had it in survivable order come the test.

Be no harm to pop an elastic brace on it for a bit of extra support and some bronchoforce for the chest. Best of luck tomorrow. Nail it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Con17

Hi guys, been keeping an eye on these posts for the last few months but haven't really commented.
    From Sept 16 campaign with high 100oom,everything done since march but was waiting all this time for vetting to be cleared.
    Missed may and august intake and have been mailing hrm every few weeks about it.
    Mailed them today and they finally said vetting is back and done.
    Mate of mine with similar oom (very low 200) was told today aswell his vetting back too.
    So just said I'd give a heads up to anyone who is waiting a long time for vetting to be cleared and around my oom that they seem to be getting things done for novemeber hopefully.
    Fingers crossed

Con17 wrote: »
    Hi guys, been keeping an eye on these posts for the last few months but haven't really commented.
    From Sept 16 campaign with high 100oom,everything done since march but was waiting all this time for vetting to be cleared.
    Missed may and august intake and have been mailing hrm every few weeks about it.
    Mailed them today and they finally said vetting is back and done.
    Mate of mine with similar oom (very low 200) was told today aswell his vetting back too.
    So just said I'd give a heads up to anyone who is waiting a long time for vetting to be cleared and around my oom that they seem to be getting things done for novemeber hopefully.
    Fingers crossed

Good on and thanks for that. I'm sure one or two may still be waiting a little while but hopefully what you have said is indicative of the majority. Cheers for the added info. Next of luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭ArifI

if we do get in november intake, when will we get call for induction?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

ArifI wrote: »
    if we do get in november intake, when will we get call for induction?
    At a guess I would say the first would be 3rd week in October, going by all the other start date of previous induction weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sjh191

Hey Guys! 
    I'm a secret reader of these threads but haven't posted until now! 
    I finally passed my PCT on Saturday and the relief is indescribable so now the waiting games begin and I have already convinced myself something bad will happen because nothing is ever straight forward!
    Anyways, on the chance all goes well I would like to start prepping myself, has anyone on this thread got a look at the induction pack and knows what we have to buy before going down? Is there a list of stuff I can start picking up now rather than wait and have to hand over a shed load of money in 1 go :) 
    T.I.A :)

Sjh191 wrote: »
    Hey Guys! 
    I finally passed my PCT on Saturday and the relief is indescribable so now the waiting games begin and I have already convinced myself something bad will happen because nothing is ever straight forward!
    Anyways, on the chance all goes well I would like to start prepping myself, has anyone on this thread got a look at the induction pack and knows what we have to buy before going down? Is there a list of stuff I can start picking up now rather than wait and have to hand over a shed load of money in 1 go :) 

I haven't an offer but I have heard the following

A decent laptop doesn't have to be new but make sure you have Microsoft office

USB hard drive

Shoe polish

Travel iron

Navy swimming togs

Runners

Maybe others can help out the rest

I think some shirts and trousers also for the first few days

Hey Guys! 

USB hard drive

Shoe polish

Travel iron

Navy swimming togs

Runners

Thanks a mill for the reply.
    I will start ticking a few of those off the list while I wait patiently!
    Its out of our hands now :) what will be will be!

Oh and just to add to that list, 2014 candidates were advised to buy a Judo suit . .  White in colour, I had a look at ebay, amazon and they seem pretty reasonable :)

Oh and just to add to that list, 2014 candidates were advised to buy a Judo suit . .  White in colour, I had a look at ebay, amazon and they seem pretty reasonable :)

Dunno if the Judo suit is necessary for the first few weeks. They're not too expensive but I've heard anecdotally that students sell their judo suits when they're done with them in Tmplemore and apparently it's handy enough to pick one up down there from one of the older intakes :)

No worries :) best of luck!
    waiting for November myself but I could be too late :)

Has there been any whispers about intakes for 2018? Any dates? :)

No worries :) best of luck!
    waiting for November myself but I could be too late :)
    Have you everything done and dusted? My application is from dec 2015 but was delayed due to illness so I am hoping I will get "the call" sooner rather than later pg!

• Advertisement

Dunno if the Judo suit is necessary for the first few weeks. They're not too expensive but I've heard anecdotally that students sell their judo suits when they're done with them in Tmplemore and apparently it's handy enough to pick one up down there from one of the older intakes :)
    Thanks a mill! Good to know and great idea, I am sure for some of us they will be redundant after training so good to recycle and keep costs down!

Have you everything done and dusted? My application is from dec 2015 but was delayed due to illness so I am hoping I will get "the call" sooner rather than later pg!

Cool I See! Your well set so!

I'm waiting on a PCT date :) I'm from the sept 2016 campaign fingers crossed 🀞

Cool I See! Your well set so!

I'm waiting on a PCT date :) I'm from the sept 2016 campaign fingers crossed 🀞
    Well best of luck, start training now so your prepared, don't under estimate the PCT (especially the beep test).
    ll park this hear as there is another thread on the PCT and i don't want to get in trouble but all the best!

USB hard drive

Shoe polish

Travel iron

Navy swimming togs

Runners

Also a judo suit,
    Adidas training top, T shirt and bottoms (must be bought there)
    2 pairs of shoes, €60 for ladies and €65 for mens,
    white trainers with non marking sole, (I think these can be generic)
    laptop must be windows based,
    A4 pads and stationary.

Assuming you have a laptop, I reckon put aside at least €400 to be on the safe side.

Training allowance is based weekly by bank transfer only, each Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bazz1000

Henry2006 wrote: »
    Also a judo suit,
    Adidas training top, T shirt and bottoms (must be bought there)
    2 pairs of shoes, €60 for ladies and €65 for mens,
    white trainers with non marking sole, (I think these can be generic)
    laptop must be windows based,
    A4 pads and stationary.

Assuming you have a laptop, I reckon put aside at least €400 to be on the safe side.

Training allowance is based weekly by bank transfer only, each Thursday

I assume the two pairs of shoes and adidas top pants the shirts have to be bought above. Rest is on us .

bazz1000 wrote: »
    I assume the two pairs of shoes and adidas top pants the shirts have to be bought above. Rest is on us .

Yep, pretty much just the uniform is supplied by them I think, weekly kit and room inspections too :)

Anybody know how often marching is done in the college :)

i think you have it once a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭Chrisbellew

Penny's are doing good deals on Swimming shorts now at the minute, got two good pairs for €6, from reading the other forum it seems that for the first month or so you don't get issued a uniform and you have to wear a suit to classes provided by yourself so I picked up a fee white shirts as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

TallGlass wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea on how long it takes to get the 'generally unsuitable' letter and also if there is anything you can do once you get it or is that the end of the line for you? Meeting with Super went down like a lead balloon. I am in the Reserves, all be it not active at all.

Anyway, station I am a Reservist in the Super didn't give great review (never met them either nor have I ever gotten myself in trouble or done anything to bring attention on myself), to be honest I should have just resigned but I thought it would have looked bad resigning while trying to join full time. I just genuinely don't have the time anymore.

Super thought the opposite, that I should have resigned if I didn't have time for it, whole meeting was entirely negative due to this. The rest of the application form he was negative on and so he zoomed in on anything that stood out and this just made me completely freeze, I was just thinking in my head that 'it is over, 2 years work down the drain'.

I did try explain one of the years, where I was extremely ill in hospital for one month and out of my regular job for nearly 4/5 months, I was advised not to go the gym or do anything extremely physical for up to a year. Tried explaining this, but again just having none of it.

So if you are in Reserves at the moment and not active and applying for full time, then resign, it's counter productive to the application. I knew they would look into it all the same, but seen as I am going in the general stream I didn't think it would be a critical part of the meeting or application, considering guys I know who are joining and wouldn't join the Reserves let alone do any hours unpaid.

It was finished with him saying, 'that's not to say you might not still get accepted but this doesn't look good at all'.

I'd say take it with a pitch of salt bud. My interview was fairly negative also in Dublin with PAS but I do think the panel interview with PAS and Sergeant and Super meetings they do tend to be like a stress interview.

The main reason behind these is to see your reaction I think personally and that your level headed.

Don't put to much worry on it is my advice.

Has anyone any idea on how long it takes to get the 'generally unsuitable' letter and also if there is anything you can do once you get it or is that the end of the line for you? Meeting with Super went down like a lead balloon. I am in the Reserves, all be it not active at all.

Anyway, station I am a Reservist in the Super didn't give great review (never met them either nor have I ever gotten myself in trouble or done anything to bring attention on myself), to be honest I should have just resigned but I thought it would have looked bad resigning while trying to join full time. I just genuinely don't have the time anymore.

Super thought the opposite, that I should have resigned if I didn't have time for it, whole meeting was entirely negative due to this. The rest of the application form he was negative on and so he zoomed in on anything that stood out and this just made me completely freeze, I was just thinking in my head that 'it is over, 2 years work down the drain'.

I did try explain one of the years, where I was extremely ill in hospital for one month and out of my regular job for nearly 4/5 months, I was advised not to go the gym or do anything extremely physical for up to a year. Tried explaining this, but again just having none of it.

So if you are in Reserves at the moment and not active and applying for full time, then resign, it's counter productive to the application. I knew they would look into it all the same, but seen as I am going in the general stream I didn't think it would be a critical part of the meeting or application, considering guys I know who are joining and wouldn't join the Reserves let alone do any hours unpaid.

It was finished with him saying, 'that's not to say you might not still get accepted but this doesn't look good at all'.

See what the next few weeks will bring tall glass. You ll only have your head wrecked thinking about it! Good luck!!

Holy sh*t that's some grilling compared to my super meeting which was extremely informal for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gerryboy911

Hey guys, be cautious on detailing your application process on public forums...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭ArifI

I met a guy at my open day (I think it was march or april), last I heard from him a week ago when i wanted to know where he's at, he wrote back he got an email saying his application is generally unsuitable. I say like all other aspects of this application, it varies from person to person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Damo1988

is the meeting with the super intense or whats is like? I was told by other members of the force that the super would be 'the least of my problems' but i'm worried about meeting him more than anything else!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Hey guys, be cautious on detailing your application process on public forums...

Correct, I guess I just wanted to see what people thought, also if anyone is in Reserves and like me not active your better off leaving, if you want to go full time and haven't got the time for it.

I had friend down the week before and he had no issues!

That's not to say the meeting was bad, like I should have been on the ball with his questions a bit more. Just it's usually a fairly easy going meeting, 10 mins, just there is a possibility it might not be! So do a bit of preparation on what you think you might be asked. icon14.png

my super meeting was very informal. offered me a drink and we just at in the office, made sure i had no previous convictions, asked how i felt the competition was going and said good luck and well done.

Damo1988 wrote: »
    is the meeting with the super intense or whats is like? I was told by other members of the force that the super would be 'the least of my problems' but i'm worried about meeting him more than anything else!

My daughters was very quick, asked about her reason for joining, sporting background and community work and wished her every success in the selection. It only lasted 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Nikkipapa

I emailed HRM a few days ago and got a response almost straight away. Does anyone know if they give the same response for anyone who submits a query to see if their vetting is complete.

My response said it was still outstanding and that once it is back, it will go for a decision and I will be notified of this decision. Does anyone know if they let everyone know when their file is signed off

Nikkipapa wrote: »
    I emailed HRM a few days ago and got a response almost straight away. Does anyone know if they give the same response for anyone who submits a query to see if their vetting is complete.

My response said it was still outstanding and that once it is back, it will go for a decision and I will be notified of this decision. Does anyone know if they let everyone know when their file is signed off

i wasnt told when mine was completed had to call them and ask. would be nice if they told you when it was signed off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement