Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm cable protection

Options
  • 28-06-2017 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I've just had a new alarm wired in a new build. The cables seem to be just sand and cemented into place when the plasters are prepping for the final plaster coat, no conduit to protect them. Is this normal practice? Do I need to worry about damage to the cables from the sand and cement layer?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not perfect. Should have been a some more planning for a new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Guy was in a bit of rush it looks like. I can still take them back out and redo in conduit.
    I made the mistake or redoing the socket positions as I wasn't happy with them. Different heights and gaps between. He was happy to just stick them where the builder had chased them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Effects wrote: »
    I've just had a new alarm wired in a new build. The cables seem to be just sand and cemented into place when the plasters are prepping for the final plaster coat, no conduit to protect them. Is this normal practice? Do I need to worry about damage to the cables from the sand and cement layer?

Its not the best way to do it but should have no effect on the cables.
    Have come across it loads of times on solid walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Effects wrote:

It's very much normal practice for extra low voltage cables. The plastic conduit used provides little mechanical protection anyway.

Sand and cement can in some cases create a chemical reaction with some cable types alright but if it's loads of hassle it might not be worth the trouble addressing it.

The solution is as much work as a potential fix.

Advertisement