Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card problem, or so I thought....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

So they just got back to me.......
    Hi,

after testing your GPU we were not able to detect any fault, never the less if you are still expierencing some problems with the product you can send it back to us. If we find a problem with it we will generate a credit note in your account and with this you can order a new Card. We are very sorry for any inconvienience caused by this.

The key word is "If we find a problem with it". There's no guarantee that they will finally admit that it's faulty after sending it in a 2nd time. They could just as easily insist that there's nothing wrong with it, again.

And it costs 40 quid each time to ship it by UPS, so I'm gonna be down 80 quid regardless. But I guess I have no choice but to send it in either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Record a video showing only 1 fan spinning. Ask them to refute this, then question their testing process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Marinjohn45

Had a very similar problem years ago...Got the gpu exchanged still black screen, worked out it was a faulty psu.

Had a very similar problem years ago...Got the gpu exchanged still black screen, worked out it was a faulty psu.

Yeah but GPU clearly has 1 dead fan. I tested it in 3 different PC's so there's no doubt about it. You can see a video of it in page 2.

Even if it's not the cause of the black screen issue, I don't want to keep using a GPU that has only 1 working fan and keeps overheating. So I want the GPU repaired or replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Write a few simple, straight forward lines in large font outlining the problem - top half in English, bottom half in German (use Google translate) eg "Card faulty - only one fan spinning - overheating - tested in 3 different PC and with different PSU".

Then position it on top on the card in the packaging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

jamescd wrote: »
    And it costs 40 quid each time to ship it by UPS, so I'm gonna be down 80 quid regardless. But I guess I have no choice but to send it in either way.
    If they do take ownership and replace the card, I'd start chasing them for the €40 shipping costs too.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Record a video showing only 1 fan spinning. Ask them to refute this, then question their testing process.

I already sent them the video that I posted on page 2. Do I need to record another one?

Write a few simple, straight forward lines in large font outlining the problem - top half in English, bottom half in German (use Google translate) eg "Card faulty - only one fan spinning - overheating - tested in 3 different PC and with different PSU".

Then position it on top on the card in the packaging.

I'll do just that, thanks.

If they do take ownership and replace the card, I'd start chasing them for the €40 shipping costs too.

I will, thanks.

Ok, I've packed it in a box and UPS are coming to collect it within the next hour. I've included a note outlining the problem in big massive letters like TerrorFirmer suggested. It will be delivered tomorrow and fingers crossed they admit it's faulty this time.

Result! They've admitted that it is indeed faulty. I don't know if it's the video that did it, or the note in big letters as TerrorFirmer suggested or something else, but at least it's finally resolved. I knew I wasn't going crazy and it was the graphics card all along ha.

They're giving me a credit note for €230 for the card, plus €80 for the shipping costs so €310 altogether :) I don't know what I should do with it though. I don't see any RX 580, or even Rx 570 on their website. Should I wait until they come back in stock or?

Edit: Thanks everyone for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Probably worth just waiting it out, prices are gone mad at the moment due to the mining craze, and Nvidia prices are also inflated as a result.

You can get a Zotac GTX1060 6GB Mini delivered from MF for about €320 though if you're impatient and that is a big step up from an R9 380.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

yep mining craze has all the cards out of stock ,likes of amazon has 2-3 weeks on waiting time :cool: but worth picking decent card and use onboard till you get better one.

Thanks. Any guesses as to roughly how long until stock/prices are back to normal? If it's gonna be 3 or 4 months or even longer, then I have to get a cheap graphics card to tide me over until then.

If it's only a few weeks or a month, then I'll be alright without one. I'll just have to find something else to keep me entertained in the meantime.

Advertisement