Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice issue

Options
  • 28-06-2017 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

So I work for a large multinational in the U.K., I have a good relationship with the team I work with.
    I advised them I was going to return to Ireland full time in a few months and quit - almost 3 months away.

My required notice period is 1 month as I'm just with the company a year. I was encouraged to put my notice in writing early so the team could cooperate with HR and recruit for my replacement ASAP, so I handed in my notice with an additional 2 months -3 months in total. I put my notice in writing as requested to 'help' the team.

Now it turns out that the company will be making a significant amount of redundancies and I would have more than likely been one of them. If I had kept quiet and handed in one months notce as stated in my contract I would have received the redundancy package.

The details of the package are yet to be released, a colleague informed me that 3 years ago, permanent employees with les than a years service were offered almost £5,000 so I maybe about to lose out on a significant payout.

Is there anything I can do? Bit of a **** scenario all round

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Will you qualify for redundancy with only one year's service?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

Will you qualify for redundancy with only one year's service?
    Apparently I will and I will have almost 14 months by the time it's all sorted etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

You're no worse off. Bad luck, but if you have handed in your notice there is nothing you can do.

Forget about it and move on.
    You might or might not have been made redundant, you might or might not have received a payment.

Advertisement