Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land and business minded what would you do..

Options
  • 28-06-2017 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    If you had land and a drive to run your own business what would you go for? Non farming related.
    E.g a Petting farm but I feel that is old and out-dated.

Non positive or un-helpful posts need bother giving input. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Hi folks,
    If you had land and a drive to run your own business what would you go for? Non farming related.
    E.g a Petting farm but I feel that is old and out-dated.

Non positive or un-helpful posts need bother giving input. Cheers.

Location and "quality" of the land would have an impact on the answer. Also how many acres are you talking about? Is there a river / stream on it. Is it serviced by utilities? Are there sheds / out houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

Location, location, location, - lad beside me cleaning up with renting out sheds, storing trucks, trailers, camper vans etc

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Anongeneric

Snail farming can bring in about 20 grand an acre after the initial 2 years.
    Quite labor intensive from December to March, just feeding in the evenings from march to September
    and relatively free from October to Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

whatnext wrote: »
    Location and "quality" of the land would have an impact on the answer. Also how many acres are you talking about? Is there a river / stream on it. Is it serviced by utilities? Are there sheds / out houses?

Quality of land is good not exactly close to big town but am close enough to touristy areas. But interested in ideas outside of farming. And yes to all of the rest of your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

enricoh wrote: »
    Location, location, location, - lad beside me cleaning up with renting out sheds, storing trucks, trailers, camper vans etc

Jeez.. what way is insurance for something like that who would be responsible for loss or damages while in your shed.. be a thieves heaven I would think...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 bubbleboy22

ostrich farms ? :angel: I like ostriches! And there are many related things to them,  which you can sell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Do you have clear land or forest?

Zip Lining is capital intensive to set up, but holy moly you could be booked out every day of the summer. We have two near us and neither have availability, at all, until mid-September and the margin is insane.

If you have clear land, tank driving / off roading is relatively cheap to get going. Basic landscaping, some old army vehicles and away you go. Only cost is fuel and staff really. You can charge between €100 and €250 per day per person in some cases.

PM me your location and type of land if you are interested in outdoor adventure / experience type stuff. May have some ideas for you and can guide you on the various types of activities that are possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

close enough to touristy areas

I'd look at putting in a row of really good quality family tents (temporary structures so no planning), build a large shed like wooden building with showers/cooking area and create a kids play area.. not really that much work...proper glamping done right.. hire out the tents for cheaper than the hotels in the area.

really nice glamping site, not like that header up in Enniscrone creating a junkyard with 747's and Submarines.

Are you limiting yourself to using the land yourself?

Leasing it could generate tax free income allowing you to develop something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Deub

If you are near a big city, would small gardens be attractive?
    I mean you divide your land in plots and people would rent a plot for a year to have vegetables, flowers, fruit trees.

Is there a market for fruit trees (apple, pear)?
    Someone would collect them once a year. You would only need to cut branches before spring to maximise the fruit production.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Organize car boot sales or markets. Or farmers markets. Rent out stalls and open your own too.

You could open a salvage yard. Or buy scrap cars and then sell the parts individually. I sold a car for 80 euro to someone just to get rid of it. The tyres alone would sell at 20 euro each. Wing mirrors and coolant tank caps/ oil caps etc can easily go for a tenner or twice that. Theres plenty of low skill cash businesses which clean up. However at some scale they probably require planning permission and anything involving cars especially can leave oil and environmental impacts. If the land is industrial and not somewhere beautiful or scenic it can be an option though.

Advertisement