Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank draft in the UK

• 28-06-2017 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭

I am buying something in the UK, I would like to pay by draft, the seller wants to go direct to the bank to lodge it to show proof that it's legit. Is this possible that they can do it there and then.
    I would prefer to do that that take a load of cash with me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

hairyslug wrote: »
    I am buying something in the UK, I would like to pay by draft, the seller wants to go direct to the bank to lodge it to show proof that it's legit. Is this possible that they can do it there and then.
    I would prefer to do that that take a load of cash with me.

Nobody in a bank branch will unconditionally declare a draft to be genuine, it has to go through clearing. Fakes are all over the place, some are so good that no bank official could tell that it's a fake while others are comically bad, including ones that claim to be issued by a non-existent branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Far easier to do a same day online bank transfer - usually is in the account 3-4 hours later.

Foreign frafts are not considered as cleared for 14 days so I can't see this being accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Far easier to do a same day online bank transfer - usually is in the account 3-4 hours later.

From Ireland to the UK, euros to sterling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

coylemj wrote: »
    From Ireland to the UK, euros to sterling?

Yes - I'm with aib and no problem with same day transfer. Has to be done by 12 noon, usually shows 3pm. I assume other banks have same service.

Its classified as "urgent" payment and costs 12.70 extra

Advertisement