Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month old sleep issues

Options
  • 28-06-2017 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Never had any sleep issues with my six and a half month old baby she would self settle herself to sleep & would sleep 8 hours. Moved her into her own room two weeks ago and all was grand then the past two nights she's hysterical when I put her down. Only happy in my arms. Any tips? Last night crying on and off for three hours. She still bawls even when I'm in the room next to her only stops in my arms. Hate seeing her in distress.

Any tips??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lolococo

Could be anything from teething to getting a cold and being off form. I'm sure it will pass. Don't fret.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

It'll pass, once she's healthy, fed and happy in general you'll just have to ride it out. They all go through phases every now and again when their sleep goes haywire, they get super clingy etc. They pass after a few days or weeks and things will settle down again until they hit the next developmental speedbump...

Ours went bananas for nearly 6 weeks at about 14 months, waking like clockwork every few hours. Nothing else wrong with her, just woke up and screamed the house down every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Thanks to you both for taking the time to respond. Hate seeing her in distress. It just came out of nowhere. She would self settle no problem up until this. I was looking at maybe following the Lucy Wolfe approach of "stay and support" for reassurance however she still bawls when you are in the room if shes in the cot, she just wants to be picked up. It would break your heart.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Had this on and off over the last year with my second.We still have our moments....!
    This too shall pass is the mantra.I would go in every five mins and resettle.I did avoid taking her out of the cot if possible because it just made the whole thing worse!!!One thing about my younger one is that she cannot cope with wind....she has a bottle at bedtime still and if she goes into the cot without a satisfactory burp, she howls and howls (still, at 14 mths!!!).When she was small it was worse, so just check she's ok with wind.Otherwise it could be teeth or just a phase.These will happen ove the next two years.Key is to be consistent....to let her know you're there and you don't want her to be upset, but it's bedtime now and you have to go to sleep.Going in and out or holding her hand are both ways to do it, but you will need to be firm!(unless of course you're happy to take her into your bed or rock her to sleep....if you are that's fine but it may raise more issues at a later date.)

She's at an age where she's starting to learn how to push a few buttons to get what she wants, so this is most likely an interesting experiment for her :-) assuming there's nothing actually wrong with her.

Advertisement