Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch Annual Increase - alternatives

Options
  • 29-06-2017 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Fed up of increases for nothing.

We have a Phonewatch system since 2001, they replaced the circuit board in the control panel and one of the door sensors at some stage and installed a smoke alarm. Apart from that and battery changes it's still original system. There is also a medi-pendant in the house from Phonewatch.

Latest "how wonderful we are letter" tells me monitoring has increased to €40.20 a month.

What alternatives do I have - I still require 24hr monitoring, maintenance and the medipendant must be monitored too.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Shop around. Any good licenced installers would be able to monitor and maintain your alarm for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭HorseSea

KoolKid wrote: »
    Shop around. Any good licenced installers would be able to monitor and maintain your alarm for you.

Thanks, I was hoping for recommendations based on others personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

HorseSea wrote: »
    Fed up of increases for nothing.

We have a Phonewatch system since 2001, they replaced the circuit board in the control panel and one of the door sensors at some stage and installed a smoke alarm. Apart from that and battery changes it's still original system. There is also a medi-pendant in the house from Phonewatch.

Latest "how wonderful we are letter" tells me monitoring has increased to €40.20 a month.

What alternatives do I have - I still require 24hr monitoring, maintenance and the medipendant must be monitored too.

Thanks in advance.

Which of their systems have you installed?

@altor

It's an old one, I know that, it just says made by ITT. It's a rectangular box with two plastic aerials on the top, one on the left, one on the right.

It's looks like this one:
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=Phonewatch+control+panel&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjYgbKrnePUAhWiF8AKHa1AC7gQ_AUIBigB&biw=2133&bih=1097#imgrc=uXIszW_13n4lNM:

@altor

It's an old one, I know that, it just says made by ITT. It's a rectangular box with two plastic aerials on the top, one on the left, one on the right.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=Phonewatch+control+panel&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjYgbKrnePUAhWiF8AKHa1AC7gQ_AUIBigB&biw=2133&bih=1097#imgrc=uXIszW_13n4lNM:

Its a concord system.
    This can be set up to go into any monitoring station.
    You can add a pendant to that system also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

OP you are very lucky that this is not one of the systems that PW are installing now and over the last 3 or so years, because you would be stuck with them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭retepnosnikta

@altor

GE ITI Concord International. As you stated very little gone wrong with it in 16 years. If budget is a concern you could get an alternative installer to quote you for monitoring/maintenance as Altor has stated.

Also if you wanted to add a GSM dialler to text you or call you in the event of an alarm that is also possible. This can replace or act as a backup to your land line if you have one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Don't want to hijack the thread but can anyone comment on whether it'll be easy enough to move to another company if we have this panel installed?

phonewatch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭retepnosnikta

SteM wrote: »
    Don't want to hijack the thread but can anyone comment on whether it'll be easy enough to move to another company if we have this panel installed?

phonewatch.jpg

Looks like a Simon XT so I'd imagine no problem going elsewhere for monitoring/maintenance. I'm sure the experts could confirm that though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

phonewatch.jpg
    Looks like a Simon XT so I'd imagine no problem going elsewhere for monitoring/maintenance. I'm sure the experts could confirm that though.

There is no problem reprogramming that system into any monitoring station.
    Request your engineer code of PW , it will make life easier.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info, I will start shopping around tomorrow.

Good luck with it. If you need any more infor come back to us.

phonewatch.jpg

That is a GE Simon panel, not Simon XT.

It can be taken over and put into any monitoring station.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

That's a GE Simon 3 panel. No need to ask Phonewatch for the engineer code. Any good installer will have that re programmed in less than 20 mins.

Advertisement