Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open [sea] Swimming - Drogheda

Options
  • 29-06-2017 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi

I'm looking for a suitable area for open swimming in or around Drogheda.

I know people swim off the pier in Clogherhead however, being a lone swimmer I don't feel safe doing that. I also don't want to be involved in a swimming club. I'd like to be able to go for proper open swims in the sea on my own.

I'm after something similar to the harbour in Wicklow, water with a bit of depth that you don't have to to walk out miles into the ocean for!

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really welcome them. I miss swimming properly!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RedJack

Hi, I've swam lots of times from Clogherhead. There's a slip way for small craft opposite the pier and I go in off that. I'm not in a club but I know Drogheda Triathlon Club organise swims there some week nights and on Sundays at 11am. That's when I tag along. They welcome all-comers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 1gealach4

Thanks for letting me know.

As mentioned, I'm not interested in joining clubs or organised meets. But, knowing the times where others are around maybe I can time my swim around that so I might feel safer entering that stretch of water.

Appreciate the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

I know people swim from Salterstown Pier just outside of Annagassan. Carlingford is another option, but bit more of a drive. Camlough Lake in Armagh is further afield again but have swam solo there many many times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

LCD wrote: »
    I know people swim from Salterstown Pier just outside of Annagassan. Carlingford is another option, but bit more of a drive. Camlough Lake in Armagh is further afield again but have swam solo there many many times

Salterstown is a great place for sea swimming. It has clean water as there are no boats and trawlers nearby. Isolated location, so no sewage or effluent.

Plenty of water three hours either side of high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

skerries, 20 mins down the road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    skerries, 20 mins down the road

+1

I swim from the Springers in Skerries - it's a purpose build swimming spot and there's usually a few people around also swimming.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/The+Springers/@53.5840375,-6.1014674,17.04z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x1eec08f6acb28f25!8m2!3d53.5839583!4d-6.1001909

The Skerries ' Frosties' also swim from there and it's easy just to go swim when they are without being a member of the group if you just want to swim when other people are around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

LCD wrote: »

I swam a lot here throughout the summer last year.
    It's a fabulous spot.

Advertisement