Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Planning Permission for Aldi lodged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Here is the link to the planning application:
    http://www.eplanning.ie/ClareCC/AppFileRefDetails/17500/0

Only place I can think of would be around McDonalds - between there and the town centre roundabout....that's the R471 anyway.

Will be great if it goes ahead - and well used as lots of people I know on this side of Limerick complain about the fact that the two Aldi's in Limerick are the other side of the city

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Someone on facebook had said it was going next to the oakwood (I'm sure they will be delighted). I, for one, welcome our new supermarket overlords.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

MarkR wrote: »
    Someone on facebook had said it was going next to the oakwood (I'm sure they will be delighted). I, for one, welcome our new supermarket overlords.

Is that not where the cinema is going

*ducks*

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I keep seeing these odd signs for a theatre or something. Not sure is it pie in the sky or what.

Anyways, I'd use an Aldi a hell of a lot more often than a cinema. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

There were plans for a theatre called "The Venue" but I think I heard recently that it's gone on the back burner for now.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Going from the planning map, I'd say it's going in the greenfield across from LIDL. Same side as McDonalds. The wooded area would stay between McDs and ALDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

Ironically, just across the road from the rear of the old Quinsworth/Penny's stores from years gone by .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

That looks like the area where the council is forever digging up to repair water and drainage pipes that keep leaking ? Hope they sort out that before putting a carpark on top of it !

That looks like the area where the council is forever digging up to repair water and drainage pipes that keep leaking ? Hope they sort out that before putting a carpark on top of it !

Yep ..... thought that myself ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Does Shannon really need this?? Ffs the town centre already looks crap from poor planning so why add to the concrete jungle feel of the place? In another thread on this forum you have people warning a person relocating from Dublin not to consider buying a property in Shannon cos the is nothing there apart from the shops. They have a point. Shannon , visually, looks horrible..... And another shopping monstrosity is only going to further cheapen the look of the place imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Does Shannon really need this?? Ffs the town centre already looks crap from poor planning so why add to the concrete jungle feel of the place? In another thread on this forum you have people warning a person relocating from Dublin not to consider buying a property in Shannon cos the is nothing there apart from the shops. They have a point. Shannon , visually, looks horrible..... And another shopping monstrosity is only going to further cheapen the look of the place imo

Are you from Shannon?

No. I went to school there and now both my wife and I work there (at different factories). Not sure what that has to do with this. I've had plenty of friends who were born and raised there but once they got jobs they couldn't wait to leave the place. I, personally, don't have a problem with the place apart from the look of the town centre, but I certainly wouldn't be looking to live there. I just feel that an Aldi isn't going to add anything to the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

No. I went to school there and now both my wife and I work there (at different factories). Not sure what that has to do with this. I've had plenty of friends who were born and raised there but once they got jobs they couldn't wait to leave the place. I, personally, don't have a problem with the place apart from the look of the town centre, but I certainly wouldn't be looking to live there. I just feel that an Aldi isn't going to add anything to the equation.

I look forward to being able to shop in Aldi SHannon rather than having to travel to Ennis or Limerick, so I guess it will benefit some of us.

Fair point. I suppose I'm coming at the whole issue from an aesthetics point of view. I always thought Shannon had huge potential but there is something that always lets it down......a new Aldi might provide an extra shop and more jobs but I'm sure the shops who pay leases in the sky court won't be too happy either..

I look forward to being able to shop in Aldi SHannon rather than having to travel to Ennis or Limerick, so I guess it will benefit some of us.

I live and work in Shannon. I can't wait for Aldi to arrive as they have a much better range than Lidl.

I find the Aldi stores in Limerick and Ennis are in really awkward locations, with the 2 in Limerick really only serving the south east of the city.

I think the rest of Limerick will find Aldi in Shannon much handier to get to.
    So if Skycourt can get it's act together with better marketing and some new shops it could benefit the town as a whole.

Everyone I have spoken to is looking forward to Aldi coming too.

As regards the "visual aesthetic" or "potential" of Shannon I think those are the same things that people from outside of Shannon always lazily throw at the town.

"Poor planning"? we hear that a lot too, but point at one thing that's missing? The town has no main street, but so what?
    The town is very easy to get around on foot or in car so to my mind it's actually well planned.

If you actually look at Shannon objectively it's a fine town. We've got employment, the airport, good infrastructure, great shop choice, hotels & bars, schools, clubs, big wide open spaces, a remarkable amount of mature broadleaf trees/greenery growing everywhere, even the industrial areas have more trees/greenery than you would see normally.

There are very few towns in the country, especially in the west, that have anything like the opportunities Shannon has.

I have lived/worked in Limerick, Cork, Kerry & Dublin so I've seen what other places have to offer.

"great shop choice", "wide open spaces"...... Seriously???

"great shop choice", "wide open spaces"...... Seriously???

Shops: Dunnes, Lidl, Dealz, Eason, Lifestyle Sports, Mace, XL, Supermacs, Subway, Apache, Nosh & Coffee, Pharmacies, Insomnia, Topaz, Texaco, Hair Salons, Barbers, Hardware & Clothing, Chinese Restaurants, Indian Restaurants, takeaways etc.
    Aldi & Iceland on the way.

Does your hometown have anything like that choice?

Wide open spaces: The town is full of mature trees/green areas, parks, walks, playing fields.

If you just look with open eyes/mind rather than a wannabe critic you'll see them.

Then why do the majority of persons living in Newmarket, Smb etc choose to go to Limerick or Ennis for their weekly shop? Why are a lot of young home buyers choosing to leave Shannon rather than purchase in the town? I stand by my original statement. The town centre LOOKS horrible. It's not one bit enticing..

Then why do the majority of persons living in Newmarket, Smb etc choose to go to Limerick or Ennis for their weekly shop? Why are a lot of young home buyers choosing to leave Shannon rather than purchase in the town? I stand by my original statement. The town centre LOOKS horrible. It's not one bit enticing..

The majority of people in Newmarket SMB etc. choose Limerick or Ennis for shopping?!
    How can you speak for so many people? Do you know the majority of people in those towns? Have you done a pole? :rolleyes:

A lot of young buyers choosing to leave Shannon rather than purchase in the town?
    What is your source for that statement?

Young people often leave their hometown to find a life, I'm certain Shannon has no more people leaving than similar towns throughout the world.

The town centre looks horrible?
    It's a shopping centre FFS! Name an attractive shopping centre?

All of your statements are nothing but anecdotal, uninformed opinions. Standing by them is standing on loose ground.

Fair enough.... You think Shannon is some sort of utopia......I think it could be so much better. Let's move on.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.... You think Shannon is some sort of utopia......I think it could be so much better. Let's move on.

:rolleyes:

FFS I don't think it's a utopia. Where did I say that?
    It's not as bad as you make out, nowhere near.

Try a bit of objectivity and less hyperbole.

Everywhere could be better.

Where do you live?

I am being objective. The town centre LOOKS awful imo. It has never looked well. The tower block is an eyesore. The section where the now closed Darcy's pub looks dreadful also. The are multiple empty shopping kiosks in the centre itself. Some of the shops you mentioned are piss poor eg lifestyle must be the worst stocked in Ireland. Dunnes, easons and moloneys are the only ones worth time visiting. The area behind the old Quinn's worth is awful too.... It's so bad they have to hide it behind the long mound of earth so you can't see it from the road. My point about planning still stands. It's because of poor planning that its potential is not reached.... Everything's an afterthought and a new Aldi isn't going to change that.
    I don't live in a town therefore where I live is inconsequential to this topic

I am being objective. The town centre LOOKS awful imo. It has never looked well. The tower block is an eyesore. The section where the now closed Darcy's pub looks dreadful also. The are multiple empty shopping kiosks in the centre itself. Some of the shops you mentioned are piss poor eg lifestyle must be the worst stocked in Ireland. Dunnes, easons and moloneys are the only ones worth time visiting. The area behind the old Quinn's worth is awful too.... It's so bad they have to hide it behind the long mound of earth so you can't see it from the road. My point about planning still stands. It's because of poor planning that its potential is not reached.... Everything's an afterthought and a new Aldi isn't going to change that.
    I don't live in a town therefore where I live is inconsequential to this topic

You're not being objective, nowhere near.

Your analysis of the whole town comes down to an angry rant about how the shopping centre looks. Buildings are ugly, they always are.
    The back of a store hurts your eyes?! lol Get over it.

Lifestyle Sports is poorly stocked? FFS grow up, what have you compared it to? Online I 'spose? Or bigger stores? lol really objective...

Your point on planning is not valid. You're not qualified to comment and you're just looking to be critical to look clever. It's not working.

The area where Aldi is going was always zoned for future commercial development, so how is that an "afterthought"?

To uninformed people new development always looks like an "afterthought" because you're only seeing it after it's built.

Have you looked at the town plan?
    The long-term plan is to pull the commercial "centre of gravity" away from Skycourt and over to the area where Aldi is going. So that's a first step.

Buildings are always ugly????wtf!! Also your comment about lifestyle is ridiculous. I prefer to shop local cos I realise I'm supporting local jobs. I was in the shop last Saturday looking for a gift for my nephew's birthday. Poor stock when compared to lifestyle in the crescent and anything I thought was suitable weren't in his size. So I ended up heading in to Limerick once again. I fail to see what exactly you feel Aldi is going to bring to the equation... If anything it will hurt the footfall that exists in the sky court. Why relocate the sky court to across the road? And who is magically going to pay for all of this? I'd wager I won't see much of this"plan" in my lifetime

Buildings are always ugly????wtf!! Also your comment about lifestyle is ridiculous. I prefer to shop local cos I realise I'm supporting local jobs. I was in the shop last Saturday looking for a gift for my nephew's birthday. Poor stock when compared to lifestyle in the crescent and anything I thought was suitable weren't in his size. So I ended up heading in to Limerick once again. I fail to see what exactly you feel Aldi is going to bring to the equation... If anything it will hurt the footfall that exists in the sky court. Why relocate the sky court to across the road? And who is magically going to pay for all of this? I'd wager I won't see much of this"plan" in my lifetime

So because a small Lifestyle Sports shop didn't have what you're looking for it's crap?! LOL really objective...

They're not relocating Skycourt. People in Shannon have been saying for years that they want a "main street" so the LONG TERM PLAN is to push development into the area where Aldi is going, to eventually have a "main street".

I don't happen to agree with it but that's the LONG TERM PLAN that was created in consultation with town residents.

I don't think they were worried about an online wannabe critic's lifetime when they came up with it.

Have to say I know loads of peeps that love living in Shannon ....... I wish Tesco kept their promise to re-build in Shannon (seem to remember they had a big problem over rent increses and pulled out at the time) but I really appreciated Dunnes and then Lidl coming in and will welcome Aldi too ....... I will support them all .....

I used to drive out to Shannon to take my dogs for a walk ...... the riverside walks are miles long and brilliant in every way ..... afterwards I would pop into the town centre and pick up whatever I needed ...... magic :)

So because a small Lifestyle Sports shop didn't have what you're looking for it's crap?! LOL really objective...

They're not relocating Skycourt. People in Shannon have been saying for years that they want a "main street" so the LONG TERM PLAN is to push development into the area where Aldi is going, to eventually have a "main street".

I don't happen to agree with it but that's the LONG TERM PLAN that was created in consultation with town residents.

I don't think they were worried about an online wannabe critic's lifetime when they came up with it.

Oh ok then. So it won't affect me or you because it's so long term we won't even see it. Lol.

Oh ok then. So it won't affect me or you because it's so long term we won't even see it. Lol.

LOL way to miss the point there Mr. Objectivity... :rolleyes:

Ah calm down will ya...... No need to be so condescending. As far as I'm aware this is boards. ie where opinion is still allowed. I'm entitled to mine which differs from yours. Imo Shannon doesn't have too many redeeming features. You love the place...... That's grand. Happy days.

• Advertisement

Ah calm down will ya...... No need to be so condescending. As far as I'm aware this is boards. ie where opinion is still allowed. I'm entitled to mine which differs from yours. Imo Shannon doesn't have too many redeeming features. You love the place...... That's grand. Happy days.

There's informed opinion and there's uninformed, unobjective rants.

Your statements on Shannon are the latter.

Advertisement