Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Planning Permission for Aldi lodged

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

......In your opinion.

They are valid in my opinion.

There was no rant, just observations which for some reason you seem to get defensive about. Touched a nerve did it??

And don't call me uninformed again. You know nothing about me..

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

I wonder how long it will take for the new Aldi to actually open? ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

......In your opinion.

They are valid in my opinion.

There was no rant, just observations which for some reason you seem to get defensive about. Touched a nerve did it??

And don't call me uninformed again. You know nothing about me..

You're uninformed when it comes to Shannon. I know that.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

As another resident of Shannon, I'm also looking forward to not having to go into Limerick to do an Aldi shop. Shannon can certainly be dull, but I don't think it's as bad as you are making out. There are closed shops all over Limerick City, and in every one of the various retail parks and shopping centres, so Shannon is not unique in that.

It could always do with more, but that's the same everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Shannon people love Shannon and non Shannon people think it's miserable.. just leave it at that.

• Advertisement

Love is a little much. Tolerate? Accept? :-)

What are Shannon people called anyway? Shannonions? Shannonites? Shannonknighsts? :-D

I have to get out more..

MarkR wrote: »
    Love is a little much. Tolerate? Accept? :-)

What are Shannon people called anyway? Shannonions? Shannonites? Shannonknighsts? :-D

I have to get out more..

Well the last two options might describe the guys and gals that frequent a popular drinking hole the "Shannon Knights" in the town centre :)

hobie14 wrote: »
    Well the last two options might describe the guys and gals that frequent a popular drinking hole the "Shannon Knights" in the town centre :)

463.jpg

Planning application refused.

http://www.eplanning.ie/ClareCC/AppFileRefDetails/17500/0

I don't know on what grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There is a mention of three conditions ...... maybe all that is required is to comply with those 3 conditions to have then planning approved?

• Advertisement

There is a mention of three conditions ...... maybe all that is required is to comply with those 3 conditions to have then planning approved?
    • Condition 1: Asteroid hits lidl
    • Condition 2: Sinkhole swallows Dunnes
    • Condition 3: ???
    • Profit

Would be nice if the conditions were workable.

The Skycourt Management Company objected on several grounds.

A woman from Raheen in Limerick called Ana Ryan also objected.

The objections are all viewable online.

Update. Seems you can see the objections online....

Select scanned files.

First objection I can see is from someone in Raheen... I can also see from their company name listed, that they have a shop in Shannon. I suppose if it was me, I'd object too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

That's a pity - but I guess the local retailers were always going to object. No one likes competition.

From Mike McKee's facebook page.
    PUBLIC MEETING
    "The recent announcement by Clare County Council to refuse Planning Permission to Aldi to build and operate a store has rightly drawn the anger and frustration of a large section of the Shannon community.
    Many are enraged that SkyCourt had submitted a 7 page document objecting to this proposed development while shop units in the town centre remain boarded up due to the failure of the operators of the centre to attract new retailers.
    We had hoped that for the first time, Shannon could be opened up for business and the hold that SkyCourt currently has on the retail sector in Shannon could be broken once and for all.
    A public meeting has been arranged by Cllr. Mike McKee, titled, ' Where to now for Shannon, after Aldi refusal'. Representatives of SkyCourt and the County Council have been invited to attend.
    The meeting will take place on Tuesday 29th Aug in the Oakwood Arms Hotel at 7.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Don't know how well decisions to refuse will stand up if appealed. Can be located
    http://www.clarecoco.ie/idocswebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=390830&format=jpeg

It's widely known that Clare Co co desired use of this land "mixed use", would be another bru na sionna with a few more ground floor shops. Most would agree the problem with Shannon is too many high density housing developments already. Not in the councils opinion though, as is clear in area plans.

Each other area : Newmarket, sixmilebridge, Quinn etc is designated low density housing. Shannon is only high density.

tv221 wrote: »
    Don't know how well decisions to refuse will stand up if appealed. Can be located
    http://www.clarecoco.ie/idocswebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=390830&format=jpeg

It's widely known that Clare Co co desired use of this land "mixed use", would be another bru na sionna with a few more ground floor shops. Most would agree the problem with Shannon is too many high density housing developments already. Not in the councils opinion though, as is clear in area plans.

Each other area : Newmarket, sixmilebridge, Quinn etc is designated low density housing. Shannon is only high density.

I live in Shannon and I would not agree that there are too many high density housing developments.

Shannon is mostly low density housing with a few high density areas.

Much of the current national housing crisis is caused by too little high density housing so it's definitely needed, even in Shannon.

The refusal of planning permission were down to 3 things; 1. Design 2. Incompatibility with Town Plan for that Area & 3. Pedestrian Safety.

Points 1 & 3 could be resolved but I don't think point 2 can be.

It would appear that Aldi need to find a new location outside of that area.

Perhaps the new theatre "The Venue" could swap their land for the Aldi land? Keeping Aldi on the Skycourt site might make more sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Perhaps the new theatre "The Venue" could swap their land for the Aldi land? Keeping Aldi on the Skycourt site might make more sense...

I've never seen an aldi or a lidl practically next door to each other before. It would look odd and kind of depressing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

I've never seen an aldi or a lidl practically next door to each other before. It would look odd and kind of depressing tbh.

Enniscorthy, Co Wexford have a Lidl and Aldi next door to each other.

..... The meeting will take place on Tuesday 29th Aug in the Oakwood Arms Hotel at 7.30pm.

Anybody at that meeting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

Anybody at that meeting?

Meeting not on yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

..... The meeting will take place on Tuesday 29th Aug in the Oakwood Arms Hotel at 7.30pm.

Anybody at that meeting?

Today the 26th August

I'm going to Aldi Sunday morning ..... :)

Today the 26th August

:o:o:o

Thanks ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Are you from Shannon?

Don't be silly, nobody is from Shannon...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Has seen some fuss kicked up about it online alright.

To be fair, it's kinda needed, for a town of is size it has quite poor grocery shopping facilities, limited to Dunnes and Lidl, heck Kilrush has better with Aldi, Tesco and SuperValu.

With Iceland and Aldi in it should add nicely to the equation.

Can't understand why the permission was denied? A brown envelope from Skycourt maybe?

Why do you say that?

Are people only from the towns/cities they were born in?
    i.e. those with maternity hospitals?

I wasn't born in Shannon but I'm from Shannon...

Does being conceived in Shannon count?

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

up at the point or after the Knights :D:D

• Advertisement

afro man wrote: »
    up at the point or after the Knights :D:D

or both?

:D:D

Advertisement